Apple Can't Use The iPhone Name in Mexico

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
iF one may say, I'm betting Apple is wishing they weren't so phoney right now.
iSee what you did there.

Considering their loss in the UK, too, this could be a serious blow.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
This really does not surprise me at all. Apple could have had the best case possible and they still would have lost. Mexico has one of the most corrupted governments and legal systems out there.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
Does this count as patent trolling? It feels like Apple is patent trolling a bit here. I think Mexican people can tell the difference between "Ph" and "F"
No, it would be a legitimate complaint. Mind the "would be" part, though, were it not for the fact that iFone named their product first. Obviously there's a difference between "Ph" and "F", but tell me what the difference is in spoken word. Exactly. If iFone was a brand new company, Apple would have been well within their rights to sue them to hell and back for creating a name that's phonetically identical to their product.

It'd be like if I were to create a product called a "We You". I can guarantee that I would hear from Nintendo's lawyers.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Little Gray said:
This really does not surprise me at all. Apple could have had the best case possible and they still would have lost. Mexico has one of the most corrupted governments and legal systems out there.
Considering Apple lost here, it can't be that corrupt. Had they won this ridiculous case, I would be right there with you.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
doggie015 said:
Wow... I was not expecting this...

Well, say goodbye to your iPhones Brazil Mexico. From now on you will have much shittier cheaper iFones
Fixed? Also there is now a large chunk missing from Apple's ass due to the large bite that karma took out.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
FelixG said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
And this is why copy right/IP as we know it fails....
everyone knows it needs a re work, only problem is that the assholes with the money want to keep it the same as it lets them cling to outdated ideas and methods which have a hard time remaining useful and effective in the current day and age.
Not everyone some think it works good enough.

Zachary Amaranth said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
And this is why copy right/IP as we know it fails....
This has nothing to do with copyright.
Trademark is part of IP law, if the insanity was not so anally proprietary based things would be a lot better for us all.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Right in Apple's face: Spittle.
Right in Apple's balls: Punched.
Apple's gut when Apple was clutching its daddy-pearls on the ground: Kicked.

Internet community: Amused.
Pebkio: Quite amused.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Trademark is part of IP law, if the insanity was not so anally proprietary based things would be a lot better for us all.
And if you had said "copyright/IP law," at least you'd be half right.

However, this is a case of trademarks working as they should, not IP law gone wild.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Little Gray said:
Yes, because the US courts has a shining glorious history of not massively favouring US companies in similar suits. Hell Blizzard VS Games Workshop comes blazing into mind... luckily that one had a happy ending.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I'm not one to hate Apple or what it stands for, but this can only be a very good thing.

Apple needs to stop thinking they can just sue any and everyone under the sun just because they are a powerful and wealthy company, which of course they clearly believe they can otherwise they wouldn't have gone after a company that had trademarked the name years before their product ever saw the light of day.

Apple needed some humbling if you ask me.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
As I say. Ever since the age of the iPod, or maybe sooner, Apple went to craps.
Well I guess that's the thing - they as a company got Seriously lucky with the iPod + the huge customer loyalty that period built up and have pretty much been riding that ever since, from what I've been able to deduce, to the point where they could bring out a Blu-ray rewinder and still get their investment back ten-fold.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Can't imagine what the big deal is. Not like the Mexicans are too keen on staying in their own country these days.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
And if you had said "copyright/IP law," at least you'd be half right.

However, this is a case of trademarks working as they should, not IP law gone wild.
Working right? Sorry I do not think if people are fooled by a name and do not understand who made a device then they should be fooled out of their money. And protecting an IP from being devalued in such a way has been trumped up to mythical proportions.