Apple Can't Use The iPhone Name in Mexico

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
Does this count as patent trolling? It feels like Apple is patent trolling a bit here. I think Mexican people can tell the difference between "Ph" and "F"
It's less about the spelling more about the sound they make, which is identical. You hear someone talking about "i(Ph)(F)one", easily leads to confusion and could easily lead to sales being switched up by people who don't see a difference. Like if someone named their product "Ohreo".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Working right? Sorry I do not think if people are fooled by a name and do not understand who made a device then they should be fooled out of their money.
That sounds like you should side with iFone then.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Hagi said:
Hrm... seems Apple must have their own search engine in development to compete with Google.

I can't think of any other explanation for them missing iFone's 2003 patent besides using the Apple Maps technology applied to internet searches.

I mean seriously... what did they expect would happen when suing over a brand name infringement against someone who had that brand name before you did...
They proberly knew but are use to getting their own way with the usa siding with them back home even when their in the wrong. I'm betting they were expecting they could use their money to bully the smaller company and get what they want, not understanding that outside the US, money doesn't get you priority.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Does this count as patent trolling? It feels like Apple is patent trolling a bit here. I think Mexican people can tell the difference between "Ph" and "F"
No, it would be a legitimate complaint. Mind the "would be" part, though, were it not for the fact that iFone named their product first. Obviously there's a difference between "Ph" and "F", but tell me what the difference is in spoken word. Exactly. If iFone was a brand new company, Apple would have been well within their rights to sue them to hell and back for creating a name that's phonetically identical to their product.

It'd be like if I were to create a product called a "We You". I can guarantee that I would hear from Nintendo's lawyers.
iFone did come out first though & Apple sued them anyway. I'm sure they knew the date on the patents; they had attorneys file the lawsuit, after all. How couldn't they know? So I ammend my previous post: This absolutely was patent trolling, just not very well-executed

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Jumplion said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
It's less about the spelling more about the sound they make, which is identical. You hear someone talking about "i(Ph)(F)one", easily leads to confusion and could easily lead to sales being switched up by people who don't see a difference. Like if someone named their product "Ohreo".
Conversational confusion doesn't cause lost sales. When someone goes to buy an iPhone/iFone, they will clearly see the difference in spelling on the box.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
Jumplion said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Conversational confusion doesn't cause lost sales. When someone goes to buy an iPhone/iFone, they will clearly see the difference in spelling on the box.
Mah boi, you underestimate the stupidity of the average consumer.

Look at it this way. There are two boxes next to each other; Oreo and Ohreo. Two different spellings, but to the consumer there's hardly any difference, so they just pick up whatever regardless of the product quality.

It's just basic brand recognition and whatnot. It's how The Asylum makes money, cashing in on "Transformers" with a "Transmorphers" movie, or "Rattatoulie" vs. "Rattatoing" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKATJIJe_9k]. Fuck, I'd never want my product ot be accidentally confused with that P.O.S D:

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not siding with Apple, the Mexican company did have a patent on the iFone thing well before Apple did, they are in the right (at least in the Mexico region).

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I love Apple, all I own is Apple. Ok, my consoles aren't, nor my work laptop (though I wish it was). BUT WHAT THE FUCK! Your iPhone 5 "The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone" was such a disappointment that shit, shit, shit, I'm only getting it because, just like with Android, once you start buying tons of apps you made an investment and quitting would be worse.
Please, PLEASE, stop Apple, you used to be the shitty one, the indie pain in the ass vegan, so Microsoft just plain ignored you and BAM! You ate its head and blew it's splinters, you became the "cool one", I began buying Apple simply because things always worked as they should (right Maps, RIGHT?! You fucking scrotum), or got fixed right away in very easy manners, aall the while Microsoft plummeted to the ground. Then Samsung, with all their shitty cell-phones started to react, but why would Apple worry, all their cell-phones sucked right? Let's just sue them! And well, where are we now? Microsoft is still shitty but it's reacting and Galaxy fucking rocks (i prefer the iPhone, but won't deny it rocks), and Apple is just losing itself, if it doesn't react to important crap NOW it will have Microsoft AGAIN to deal with.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
On a totally different rant from my last post lol

This news reminds me of something that came to light recently in Brazil. I'm a fan of burgers and chicken tenders, now, in the USA the chicken tenders are done in a way, maybe something done to the chickens, I don't know nor care, the taste is unique, and wonderful. This is only to point a fact: sometimes one country will NOT replicate another country's culinary simply because of a few ingredients, unless they get imported, like The Outback does.

That said, when in the USA, if not gorging myself on Denni's (what can I say I'm like the Joker, I have simple tastes lol) on The Cheesecake Factory (ok, I hate the USA for this, I go to the gym and what the fuck not, and then I travel to the USA and fucking gain all the weight again... Ah fuck it it's worth it :D), anyway, when not there I usually go grab a burger at a Johnny Rocket's, since it's close to hotel I'm usually at. I love Route 66, the taste of the burger and the whole mix of mushrooms and cheese and onions, WOW!

For a long while we had here in Brazil a burger joint named Rockets, ok, it's not the SAME name, but the whole design was the very same, from the sign to the the theme, the jukeboxes, the chairs, everything. There weren't as many burger options, but the names were the same, with one or another minor difference in ingredients. However, I never enjoyed Rockets, places such as The Fifties and New Dog (both are big Brazilian traditional burger joints) were much more to my liking. But I always attributed that to a difference in the way the food is prepared, like McDonald's, franchise's do change a bit to match a country's tastes. Particularly, in terms of burger, USA and Brazil ARE different, first we use much more cheese, and if you're in a good burger joint they'll have home-made sauces, including home-made mayo which will be laid in tons over the burger (love it, bad for your health, but gotta love it, I know americans might say UGH!, but our mayo is way different then the stuff you have, no offense, matter of fact is you more than make up for the mayo with other tasty ingredients ;)). All that would obviously amount to a difference between our Rockets and USA's Johnny Rockets.

This year it was revealed that Johnny Rocket's had sued Rockets (and WON, thanks the lords of burger) for mimicking the north-american branch, it's existence only came to the american knowledge once Johnny Rocket's revealed it was only NOW coming to Brazil (opens 2013 YES!). The guys didn't have to close their doors, but they will have to stop copying the american branch, they already took their sing off the front, and will probably have to change some burger names. Anyway, fair is fair, and in this case at least, it was pretty clear that Rockets WAS trying to profit off Johnny Rocket's well-known name for burger lovers...

Well, now we have P.J. Clark's (don't care much for it), Butcher's Market ( FUCKING AWESOME, and they kept the north-american style of burger making, which is like an awesome deal) and the real Johnny Rocket's :)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Working right? Sorry I do not think if people are fooled by a name and do not understand who made a device then they should be fooled out of their money.
That sounds like you should side with iFone then.
I am more for a market setup that would allow both but ensure they can not fudge on manufacture/maker info.

Copulatory(crony) capitalism is over rated and costs more to upkeep than a more balanced open market. I do not think the free market myths are realistic since companies are so much bigger these days you can not expect consumer/pop protection based mostly on avoiding lawsuits.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
What amazes me is the thought that no one in Apple's legal department (which I can only assume is pretty well funded) took the time to see when iFone was registered as a trademark. I mean you'd think that would be step one before even filing this case...something that should be looked into so someone can say "Holy shit, they did beat us to the punch by about 4 years. This could go very...VERY bad for us. Maybe we should just keep our big mouths shut and pray to all that's holy that they don't end up suing us!"

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Headdrivehardscrew said:
...and not behaving like some dictator-run modern day Yugo, Lada or Volkswagen eager to conquer every market known to man.
What the hell are you talking about, man? OK, I get the VW, but Yugo and Lada?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
I am more for a market setup that would allow both but ensure they can not fudge on manufacture/maker info.
So you think people who are fooled by a name deserve to be screwed out of their money?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
So you think people who are fooled by a name deserve to be screwed out of their money?
Looking at model issues being utter crap under moderate or high end brand names. The buyer has to be aware and take responsibility.

Like sounding names are not enough for me to worry about. Like I said I would be more worried if they fudged manufacture/maker data and tried to pass it off as a true counterfeit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Looking at model issues being utter crap under moderate or high end brand names. The buyer has to be aware and take responsibility.
So you believe the opposite of what you previously stated. Apologies. Clumsy wording made it seem like you were sticking up for people.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
So you believe the opposite of what you previously stated. Apologies. Clumsy wording made it seem like you were sticking up for people.
The people do not need to be nannied to death, we need regulations,ect but as long as you can not fudge on the maker/manufacture data I don't care who uses Ihone, Ifone,ect,ect.

Also thinking there should be a 70% difference in pictures/graphics to help limit the use of the same kind of pictures,ect.

TL:DR I hate counterfeits but love knock offs.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
rofltehcat said:
Karma. (and a lack of common sense/googling among Apple lawyers)
Google is an opponent to Apple.
Maybe Apple employees are now forbidden to use, and thus indirectly support, the Google search engine. :p

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Also thinking there should be a 70% difference in pictures/graphics to help limit the use of the same kind of pictures,ect.
that's nannying. Make up your mind. Either you don't want people to be nannied to death, or you want this sort of deal.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tayh said:
rofltehcat said:
Karma. (and a lack of common sense/googling among Apple lawyers)
Google is an opponent to Apple.
Maybe Apple employees are now forbidden to use, and thus indirectly support, the Google search engine. :p
Maybe they should have Siri'd it?

DOES apple have a web-based search engine? >.>