Apple Can't Use The iPhone Name in Mexico

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Also thinking there should be a 70% difference in pictures/graphics to help limit the use of the same kind of pictures,ect.
that's nannying. Make up your mind. Either you don't want people to be nannied to death, or you want this sort of deal.
Not really its a rule that allows some vagueness some level of imitation without stealing the idea completely. This has more to do with design and creation than anything on the consumer level.

Also I do not really see a need in protecting physical non graphic designs,ect that much as its more limited and only so much of whats left over makes reasonable sense.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
http://mashable.com/2012/05/02/apple-worth/

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/mexico/gdp

Actually this might not end all that well for Mexico, as much as I dislike patent trolls. This is a BIG trademark worth a lot of money, and is going to result in the ire of a company worth 128 billion dollars, equalling the GNP of 160 lesser nations. Mexico itself is worth a little more than 10x what apple is right now, as far as it's GDP goes (Gross Domestic product) but has had a decent number of economic problems.

If Apple decided to make Mexico's life miserable economically I think it could do a lot of damage, and truthfully a ruling like this has a reasonable chance of getting Mexico on the bad side of a lot of other IP concerned companies.

The UK is one thing, but Mexico is another, to be honest if they just started a trade war of sorts (which has happened before, we had Japanese producers of things like RAM going toe to toe with the US goverment for a while years ago and causing no end of grief accross a large spectrum of businesses), I think Mexico is going to regret it.

Don't misunderstand, I think Apple is a bully and deserves it, but I think cheering right now is a bit early, Mexico just poked the badger (so to speak) and it remains to be seen if they are going to lose their hand. It's not the kind of thing that gets resolved quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if right now Apple is getting a bunch of companies dependant on recognized Ips like that together, even rivals, and planning to screw with Mexico.

I go off about hating the corperate system and thinking they have a bit too much power for a reason.

A similar point would be looking at the entire Kim Dotcom thing which was on a smaller scale. Gabon pretty much drank his milkshake (so to speak) but was able to do it because they apparently had Vivendi, a huge and rich corperation, backing them. Sadly unless they have a patron/parent company not being mentoned iFone isn't going to be much help, and there are enough revenues attached to that trademark and it's recognition where I doubt they are just going to walk away, I imagine we'll see some new economic/trade pressures hitting the Mexican goverment before too long, even if it can't be directly tied to Apple

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Not really its a rule that allows some vagueness some level of imitation without stealing the idea completely. This has more to do with design and creation than anything on the consumer level.
But come on, they're not fudging manufacturer data! Who cares if it's 60% similar?

Also I do not really see a need in protecting physical non graphic designs,ect that much as its more limited and only so much of whats left over makes reasonable sense.
I think you're poorly wording things again, as that appears to contradict itself.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Good to see that the law still applies to dirty, conniving mega-corps. At least in some countries.

Seriously, every time these assholes get a slap in the wrist in court, my pants feel that one bit tighter.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Mexico joins the list of countries that don't take apple's shit. This make me incredibly happy. This just shows that now that apple is this big, the only thing that can kill apple, is apple.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
*snerk* A Samsung ad just showed up as iLooked (sorry, had to do it) into this thread.

So when do we officially start pointing and laughing at Apple?

CAPTCHA: yes, sir

That wasn't an order, soldier!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
But come on, they're not fudging manufacturer data! Who cares if it's 60% similar?

I think you're poorly wording things again, as that appears to contradict itself.
I wouldn't doubt it I talk wif both paws in my mouth. =^0^=

LOL

Well my train of thought is graphic design/visuals are art that can be sold on its own thus it needs a basic form of protection. Something like a parody.