Apple Devices May Face Ban In Russia Due To iCloud Data Storage

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Apple Devices May Face Ban In Russia Due To iCloud Data Storage

A new Russian law affects all out-of-country data storage, and it could mean a ban on Apple products.

A new law taking effect on January 1, 2015 may have dire consequences for Apple's product line. The company's deep integration of its iCloud storage system into its devices may leave the company no choice but to suspend sales in the Russian Federation in the near future, at least temporarily.

The law, which was passed by the State Duma this past July, stipulates that any company collecting personal data through digital means must ensure that "record classification, accumulation, storage, updating, and retrieval of personal data of citizens of the Russian Federation must be stored in databases located on the territory of the Russian Federation."

This law gives the Roskomnadzor (Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media) authority to require companies to restrict internet access to resources that do not guarantee that personal data is stored within the Russian Federation, which Apple would currently be in violation of.

The Russian government and Apple have not commented as of yet. However, given Apple's status as one of the leaders in cellular and personal computer sales in the world, it can be expected that the situation will come to a head as January 1 draws nearer.

Source: IB Times [http://www.ibtimes.com/icloud-connected-devices-including-iphone-ipad-face-russian-ban-1720043]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I love how their not banning Apple products because they are collecting data by default without notifying the user, but because the storage servers are where it would be harder for the Russian government to dig up dirt on its citizens.

Still, I would not want Google and friends storing all the data they mined off me in Putin's back yard, either. So, there is some very good reason to pass this law.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Eh, that's fair enough I guess. The only problem i can see is where they will draw the line for what counts as "personal data". What about when you use your email or name to sign up to websites? And what about if Amazon needs to send your address to a server in Germany so the correct label can be printed on something you just bought?

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
Nah this is just an excuse that Russia is using to ban apple products because the CEO of apple is gay. And we all know Russia doesn't like gays

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Tyranicus said:
Nah this is just an excuse that Russia is using to ban apple products because the CEO of apple is gay. And we all know Russia doesn't like gays
Though I'd like to think of that as the main reason, this law has been in the works for some time now and is more of a consequence of the tensions we've seen the last year. The CEO of an american company affected by this law also happens to be gay? That's just an added bonus, but not the main objective.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Surely other companies will be affected...or this one of those new Russian laws that will target just American companies?
Well from the looks of it Apple could rectify the issue easily enough...its just a question of are they willing to.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
What qualifies as "personal data" for this law?

Many sites retain user data up to and including IP and location info and are certainly not storing it in Russian servers.