Apple Passes Microsoft as Most Valuable Technology Company

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
Hubilub said:
I'm still waiting for the news article about Apple changing its name to Skynet.

Just you wait...
The end is Nigh! Personally I don't hate them. Just wish their policies didn't gargle donkey balls. Wish I had a powermac right now though.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Does this figure in how many mindless sheep bought more than one Ipad?

Mindless sheep, like this guy..

I have nothing against Mac computers, but Ipads are useless to me since I have an Iphone

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Brain_Cleanser said:
danpascooch said:
CRAP! This is bad, I don't like Apple's policies at all.

"Sure you want this? It's $500, now let's tell you what we are going to allow you to do with it.
Wait, you think YOU get to decide? HA! It's not like you OWN it or anything!"
This was my exact thought when I saw the thread title.
Anyways, I don't really like Apple, but I can't really hate on a company for doing well.
I just kinda wish it wasn't,you know, Apple.
Why not? Seems to be a perfectly good reason for lots of people to mate lost of popular things ;)

You can always tell yourself you're hating them for different reasons :p

ljd184

Jul 5, 2009
why is everyone acting like it's the end of the world i thort you hated apple of the ability not to play game's but this is't that this is pure hatred

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
oranger said:
90% of users still use windows? somehow I doubt that....that kind of market value doesn't come from a secondary product like handhelds.
Yes it does. Think of it like this: market value isn't necessarily the real value of a company. Apple has revenues of about $43 bn, while Microsoft makes a bit less than $59 bn (although you should probably check those numbers, I believe they're more or less correct). Microsoft also has a larger profit margin than Apple, as far as I know, and a similarly larger amount of assets.

However, the perception of Apple is better and rosier than for Microsoft, thus it is valued higher in stocks, but in terms of market share Apple is still dominated by Windows in the PC realm. Financial markets are often fueled by perception -- that's why you often get companies that operate profitably and grow their revenues year-to-year above the rate of inflation, but because they don't meet an earnings forecast they can be pummeled in the market.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
cabooze said:
we did it! seriously though, apple knows how to sell stuff. That's all you need.
well, they basically remade every single technological item again , placed an apple on it and sold them and expensive prices

Shifty Tortoise

Sep 10, 2008
I love that graph, in 2000 Apple's struggling to break 10bn whilst MS is at 500bn ^^

I don't hate Apple... Ok, maybe a little. I dislike how they try to own everything to do with their products. There are very few, if any, independent retailers that sell Apple merchandise or hardware upgrades, so there's bugger all competition. You get much more freedom with a PC.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Brain_Cleanser said:
danpascooch said:
CRAP! This is bad, I don't like Apple's policies at all.

"Sure you want this? It's $500, now let's tell you what we are going to allow you to do with it.
Wait, you think YOU get to decide? HA! It's not like you OWN it or anything!"
This was my exact thought when I saw the thread title.
Anyways, I don't really like Apple, but I can't really hate on a company for doing well.
I just kinda wish it wasn't,you know, Apple.
Why not? Seems to be a perfectly good reason for lots of people to mate lost of popular things ;)

You can always tell yourself you're hating them for different reasons :p
Oh, I have plenty of other reasons to hate Apple, I just can't hate on them for, you know, doing what a business does.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
tkioz said:
Without a viable alternative on the market (don't you dare say Linux or I'll hunt you down and harm you) that was just the way of things, but with competitions making them fight for their supper they can't afford to be lazy any more, so this is a good thing for the consumer and definitely a good thing for Microsoft.
Linux

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
The major reason for this is the iPhone, because Macs are meh. Sure, they look nice, but there price averages at nearly twice of a PC, you can't even take it apart to update it with new parts to keep it from going obsolete, and it sucks for gaming, something we here at the Escapist and other gaming sites truly care about. Steam might help make them a bit better for gaming, but it will be long before they measure up to PC.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
Meh, it's probably due to market saturation since technology since there are more competitors (Google) than previously, while Apple had some good marketing.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Will we be seeing a sequel to the "Pirates of Silicon Valley" movie? :)

That said it's impressive that Apple has managed to catch up, but I wouldn't nessicarly be counting on Microsoft staying under very long.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Most valuable? Let make an experiment:

1) Let's hypothetically remove Apple and all its products from the entire world in an instant.

2) Now let's do the same thing with Microsoft and its products.

Which one caused the near-collapse of civilization as we now it?
How will I survive without QuickTime!

Wait, why do I even have QuickTime?

Feb 13, 2008
Tell me Apple, do you run Flash yet?

No...? Well then, can you multi-task?

No...? Ok, do you allow third party software?

Well...We'll await the Monopoly Commission's decision, shall we?

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
200,000 people bought the Ipad already? I can't believe how many people will be buying that overpriced piece of crap.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
geizr said:
EDIT: Deleted my comments cause I don't want to waste my energies getting embroiled in another stupid PC fanboy vs Apple fanboy religious crusade. Just learn to use and enjoy the machine you bought, people, and don't worry about what other people do. Grow up, get over yourselves, and get a life.
aaah, but the problem comes when certain people believe a certain thing is the next big advancement. when that happens, it usually shuts off routes that technology could have gone and diverged off into. Without anybody to point out problems or who like a certain product more than others, the route technology takes becomes extremely limited, especially if those who liked the earlier products gave up when the new one came out as opposed to voicing thier opinion.