Apple Passes Microsoft as Most Valuable Technology Company

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Please keep in mind that a company's stock value has nothing to do with it's quality or it's succes, it just reflects that people talk a lot about apple lately.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Archangel357 said:
Apple releases flawed products, and then keeps adding stuff that should have been in the original product in the first place. That's not the same as "improving" a product. How many different iPods are out there, 200?
This can be applied to microsoft windows as well.There are far more versions of windows than there are types of iPod

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Thedutchjelle said:
People buy diamond rings too, and I'm sure my iMac can do more than a diamond.
That's the same as saying people buy famous artworks, and my cigarette lighter can do more than those pieces of art.

No, no they can't. You purchase technology based on fuctionality and fashion/status symbols based upon rarity/style. My lighter does it's job in lighting things, the artwork does its job in inspiration/entertainment.

If you are buying a mac for any other reason than functionality, you are buying an overpriced status symbol, and the product is no longer a piece of technology, it is a very expensive trinket.

A diamond is an amazing carbon structure known for it's rarity. An apple product is neither rare nor amazing.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
I can't see ANYTHING on that image that microsoft or someone else hasn't done.Why don't you have a go at one of them? Oh right because that won't make you "cool"

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Aeshi said:
DTWolfwood said:
I can't see ANYTHING on that image that microsoft or someone else hasn't done.Why don't you have a go at one of them? Oh right because that won't make you "cool"
Probably because I haven't seen Microsoft toting their latest product as the cure for AIDS and the bringer of world peace.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
danpascooch said:
Carlston said:
danpascooch said:
CRAP! This is bad, I don't like Apple's policies at all.

"Sure you want this? It's $500, now let's tell you what we are going to allow you to do with it.
Wait, you think YOU get to decide? HA! It's not like you OWN it or anything!"
Heh sounds like most first day releases of a new Windows OS...if you notice you only lease the software. Upgraded to much at one time? We'll freeze your key...

Why people hack the crap out of devices now a days...
Are you saying Apple is good because Microsoft is bad? You realize that doesn't make sense right?
What didn't make sense is I didn't say who was good or bad. And you asked a question not sure of my posts meaning... then said it didn't make sense when you didn't even understand what I was getting at.

Looks like someone posted Apple is biting chunks out of the consumers choice, and I compared it to Microsoft's behavior over the last 15 years. But eh...

Darmort

Mar 16, 2009
Buccura said:
So basically the news here is the iPod, iPhone, and iPads are making a lot of money. Shocking.
I know. It's not as if everyone is frothing at the mouth for the iPad for some wierd and unexplained reason.

I really don't get the appeal of iPhones and iPads...

I kind of have to laugh at the part where you said "Apple, on the other hand, is constantly working to increase its momentum in the technology markets by releasing new/improved products on a regular basis. As the New York Times explained, "Apple is in a constant battle to one-up itself."

I'm pretty sure the iPad could have been made around 5 years ago...

What next, iRay, watch your movies on our new Apple BluRay Player that we've just invented!...?
Depressing that people would actually fall for it...

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Cryo84R said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tell me Apple, do you run Flash yet?

No...? Well then, can you multi-task?

No...? Ok, do you allow third party software?

Well...We'll await the Monopoly Commission's decision, shall we?
Wow, I wasn't going to comment, but this post is so full of fail, I just had to.
As of this posting, no mobile device runs a non beta flash player.
iDevices have always multi-tasked, just not with 3rd party apps. That's why you can download songs from iTunes, listen to your iPod and surf the web at the same time. This is added in a free OS update next month for 3rd party software.

As for allowing 3rd party software, wow...really? You are telling me that the 200,000+ apps in the app store are all made by Apple?

And there is no monopoly commission, probably will never be. They are making inquires about iTunes, it has nothing to do with the App Store.
Can you please change your name tag to "Resident Apple Fanboy"? I only ever see you pop out when something involves Apple or Apple is mentioned. Please, Apple isn't some kind of sacred entity you should praise lest it smite you down for blasphemy. You can stop gawking over its shiny exterior and face the facts.

With all the revisions Apple makes *cough*moneygrab*cough*, it would be perfectly feasible to include a beta flash player. But they'd rather monopolise that. The device should always have been able to multitask. Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I very well could be, but all the 3rd party apps on the App Store have to go through Apple first. It isn't a truly open platform; at the end of the day, Apple controls what is and isn't available on their devices. Again, monopolising.

So please, stop trying to defend Apple as though they've done nothing wrong. Believe me, they've done heaps. As have Microsoft and practically every other company. They all have bad business practices in one way or another, all have flaws. You don't see me with my head up Microsoft's arse, so I don't expect to see you with your head up Apple's.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
oh noes! that means all the hipsters have to stop buying Apple Laptops since they're not "alternative" enough, or whatever hipsters do these days.

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
The only thing I found impressive on a mac was installing an app just by moving it to the applications folder.
Otherwise I just found the UI to be plain bad. Finder sucks alot aswell. The ipod/iphone is their only good product.

But Microsoft sucks even more no doubt.

Linux <3

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Aeshi said:
DTWolfwood said:
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif
Sorry if i think owning electronics because its actually better make more sense than showing everyone how much a wannabe douche i am by buying an inferior electronic appliance for more money and be told by the company what i can and cannot do with it.

Guess having a brain that isnt commercially branded doesn't make sense to a "cool" trendsetter like you huh?

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
What annoys me most about Apple/iMac users is why they buy their products, i.e. its stylish and looks good.

You don't buy a PC for its looks, you buy it for its performance and the hardware inside, Sure your Imac might look good but I can gurantee you that I could get the same product for about £500 cheaper.

I think I would rather have my ugly PC and an extra £500 towards a holiday than a stylish Imac that has shit performance and can't run half the things I want it to.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Good for them. But I think I'll wait before investing in Apple. I'd love to see the share value of Apple stock after the decision on this anti-trust probe [http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177460/Apple_vulnerable_in_iTunes_antitrust_probe] comes in.