Apple Passes Microsoft as Most Valuable Technology Company

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Ballmer and Gates own more shares of Apple Computers Inc that Steve Jobs do?

Because it that is the case, then it dose not mater who's Company is worth more

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Great, now I know some of those mac elitists are going to get even more smug now... Apple does have some decent handheld devices (except for the fact that they can't figure out how to use flash), but I still prefer Windows on PCs.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Sorry if i think owning electronics because its actually better make more sense than showing everyone how much a wannabe douche i am by buying an inferior electronic appliance for more money and be told by the company what i can and cannot do with it.
a) Bolded Part:I could not decipher any of that

b) And yet you pay full price for a fifth of an OS (Or for windows 7,a third of a glorified patch) that doesn't work?

c) I'm guessing you've never owned a console?Because last time I checked the makers tended to restrict what you can and cannot do with those.

So because Apple don't want to put an awful flash beta that can only run a few flash apps specifically designed for it that would probably kill battery life on their phone they are evil?and anyone who points this out if a mindless fanboy?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jamieson 90 said:
What annoys me most about Apple/iMac users is why they buy their products, i.e. its stylish and looks good.

You don't buy a PC for its looks, you buy it for its performance and the hardware inside, Sure your Imac might look good but I can gurantee you that I could get the same product for about £500 cheaper.
Huh? Both my desktops look cooler than the white block that is a mac.

Looks and power. :p

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Mr. Mike said:
Can you please change your name tag to "Resident Apple Fanboy"? I only ever see you pop out when something involves Apple or Apple is mentioned. Please, Apple isn't some kind of sacred entity you should praise lest it smite you down for blasphemy. You can stop gawking over its shiny exterior and face the facts.

With all the revisions Apple makes *cough*moneygrab*cough*, it would be perfectly feasible to include a beta flash player. But they'd rather monopolise that. The device should always have been able to multitask. Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I very well could be, but all the 3rd party apps on the App Store have to go through Apple first. It isn't a truly open platform; at the end of the day, Apple controls what is and isn't available on their devices. Again, monopolising.

So please, stop trying to defend Apple as though they've done nothing wrong. Believe me, they've done heaps. As have Microsoft and practically every other company. They all have bad business practices in one way or another, all have flaws. You don't see me with my head up Microsoft's arse, so I don't expect to see you with your head up Apple's.
The only reason I do so is because ignorance drives me up the wall. Between the "lol one mouse button" crowd and the "just saying what the other guy said" people, I can't help but at least put the truth out there for people to see if they want.

I'm no fanboy, I have 3 PCs and 1 iMac, not to mention a 360.
As to your other points, the beta flash player sucks, there is no way around that fact. It crashes, drains the battery like no tomorrow, and made the test devices heat up like space heaters. It has a long way to go.

And your main point about open platforms, I can develop an app for iPhone right now, all I need to do is make sure it's going to work properly and won't introduce malware into the OS. That is 90% of the app approval process. If you want to say they have a monopoly on their OWN product, I guess you would be right. Better call Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony too. Since they have to approve every game on those systems.

Is it really even in the same ball park to say something is "closed" when it's really just made to work every time it's turned on, like a phone should? Of course they aren't perfect, but I just wish people would get the facts right.

I actually defended Microsoft back in the 90's, I think it's bullshit when the government gets involved in any consumers business. I never though MS had a monopoly simply because you could always use something else. Just like with Apple products.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
I'm sure this has more to do with their stocks than their actual importance. I have an iPod and I like it, but it's really not that important compared to Microsoft's offerings in software. Something as simple as Microsoft Office is huge. I've always thought that Mac computers are overpriced PCs in a white case, and there's alternatives to Apple's handhelds. Microsoft will take over as most valuable company soon enough.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Stock market values don't show a company's actual worth so this "news" is pretty irrelevant....soooo yeah. All this says is that Ipods, Iphones and Ipads are selling like hotcakes so people are investing in Apple. Big shock I know right? They still have less then 10% of the PC userbase and besides a few programs here and there have not had any of their software gain significant parts of the PC market in years. Apple might as well call themselves a peripheral maker because thats really the only thing they are succeeding at these days. Not taking away the massive strides they've made in those markets, but still...I can't really get behind a company who relies on stirring up hype and fads to sell severely overpriced gadgets that you have to jail break in order to even get up to par with the cheaper alternatives.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Not that I really care to much about the values of these corporations but...
Fuck, I guess this shows that Apple owns the entire mp3 player market with their piece 'o' crap iPod.

I've been looking everywhere for a decent non-Apple mp3 player to no avail.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
Jamieson 90 said:
What annoys me most about Apple/iMac users is why they buy their products, i.e. its stylish and looks good.

You don't buy a PC for its looks, you buy it for its performance and the hardware inside, Sure your Imac might look good but I can gurantee you that I could get the same product for about £500 cheaper.
Huh? Both my desktops look cooler than the white block that is a mac.

Looks and power. :p
I know lol, thats the point, they think it is more stylish when you can get a nice cheap case on the PC which looks just as good. Bought mine 2 years ago. This is mine, not as good as yours, lol your new one is a beast :)

Feb 13, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Wow, I wasn't going to comment, but this post is so full of fail, I just had to.
So, despite the Gulf of Mexico being oiled up, wars going on, games being banned and everything else, you HAD to comment on a fair comparison? Let's check those "fails".

As of this posting, no mobile device runs a non beta flash player.
FAIL. Laptops do, and Apple don't.

This is added in a free OS update next month for 3rd party software.
So, I'm right on that one as well.

You are telling me that the 200,000+ apps in the app store are all made by Apple?
They're all regulated by Apple, which is why a lot get jail-broken. That's a monopoly.

And there is no monopoly commission, probably will never be.
Oh really? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_Commission]
They are making inquires about iTunes, it has nothing to do with the App Store.
So, again, I was right.

So...you HAD to tell me that everything I said was technically true at the time of writing. Well, thanks for bolstering my point.

But let's get another one in.

Apple: Is it true that any store that wants to sell i-machines has to have a sealed communication box where all communication that comes from Apple products must be routed through, and the owners of that store have no access to?

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
"Apple don't" run flash? Are you sure? iPhone OS doesn't, but OS X (Mac) does. I better go tell my MBP to stop running the plugin so it doesn't damage your world view.

You may want to look up the definition of monopoly. By your definition, the gaming console companies need to get sued for monopoly as well. Regulation =/= monopoly.