Apple/Valve partnership in the works?

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
Cryo84R said:
What could this mean? Think we will hear something at WWDC this summer?

http://www.cultofmac.com/160760/why-apple-ceo-tim-cook-met-with-valve-exclusive/
It means Microsoft is about to pitch a fit and the world will get the iValve.

Captcha: total shamble. Makes sense.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Cryo84R said:
Apple (the most successful hardware maker on the planet) a very sensible goal for them.
All Apple products have Samsung products in them, Apple is more into hardware assembly and software. Also Valve already said that this is not whats going on and there has been several threads on this already, the search function is useful.
One last thing, your fanboy is showing you might want to tuck it back in.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I wouldn't consider a visit to any game studio an indication of concrete plans, much less from a developer known for as much R&D as Valve.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Draech said:
How can you quote me and then get it wrong?
I point out the same thing that you use 2 separate quotes. Am I going to defend myself against quotes you didn't read the full context of?
Wow, look at you, getting all defensive...To be honest, after reading what you've said so far, it's clear to me you genuinely have no clue how Apple makes money or where it stands in the market today.

"apple isn't the most successful hardware maker on the planet, and is indeed VERY unsuccessful when it comes to making gaming related hardware (apple pipin anyone? didn't think so)."
Yes, you said it wasn't the most successful hardware maker on the planet, and then you said "indeed", implying that in addition to them being generally not the most successful hardware maker on the planet, they are equally unsuccessful when it comes to making gaming related hardware. So the point you were trying to make wasn't just about "a specific type of hardware". Instead of standing by your original two statements you decided to just stick with one, and I pointed that out. Deal with it.

Ignoring the fact that Apple is behind the revolution of mobile gaming for the masses (unless you're going to tell me that doesn't count), there's many things wrong with both statements.

The least of which being your obviously warped definition of "success". You seem to think bigger numbers is better, which is why Cryo84R asked you "Who sells more hardware at a better margin?" Anyone with half a brain would know that success is profitability, not sales numbers.

Dont quote mine. It is intellectually dishonest.
Let's not talk about being intellectual, mkay? Because you're the one guilty of what you claim I am.

Go through more of my qoutes and you will find some more statistics
Yeah, the statistics are fine, just your interpretation of them are pretty hilarious.

But it is easier to use
http://www.electronicstakeback.com/hold-manufacturers-accountable/about-the-industry/
that another person found where I was putting numbers together from different reports.
Must be, seeing as there's that bit of fine print that says "PCs include desk-based PCs, mobile PCs, including mini-notebooks, but not media tablets such as the iPad." But don't let that stop you.

Let's go over the flaws in what you've said.

After being provided with proof that Apple is valued greater than Google and Microsoft combined, you're given statistics to back this claim up, and you shrug it off with "comparing apples to oranges".

You then proceed to say that Apple's revenue comes from software and not hardware. With what proof!? Are you fucking kidding me? When you buy Apple made software it is going on Apple-made hardware. I cannot go out and buy Keynote for my PC or put Lion on my HP laptop. When was the last time you saw someone what knew what Keynote was but didn't know what an iPod was? Their brand recognition is hardware. Not software. They make millions of different mobile devices.

Finally, you claim that Apple has had no success with gaming platforms. Have you seen the App store recently? It has, you know, games in there, and they're actually pretty, you know....popular. Here, since asking you to provide real proof of your claims rather than statistics that you either ignore or misinterpret; where do you think the Angry Birds phenomenon started? Protip: it wasn't on the PS3...

Your logic is terrible, your bias is evident, and the anti-Apple crowd will follow you around like a group of faithful lapdogs purely because you're saying what they want to hear. I won't hesitate to drop the hammer of criticism on Apple in a heartbeat, but I won't illogically criticize them in the way you do.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe when the CEO of Apple says he wants to meet with you you say Ok. I'd guess they discussed buying vineyards in the Loire Valley or zomething. Maybe the discussed OSXI using a more powerful system than OpenGL for 3D so that games don't take such a hit on Macs.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Valve wont make a PC or console. There is no need to.

Seriously, why would valve make a console WHEN CONSOLES ARE KNOWN TO BE FALLING APART DUE TO COST?
Oh? Do you have large scale proof of this? Or are you just going by the bitter PC-gamer forum posts of people who used to own old Xboxes that RROD'd on them?

Consoles are obsolete.
If you're looking to run a desktop operating system on them, why sure, they are.

The only reason they are still around is because Sony and Microsoft are in too deep to leave the market.
Yeah, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with how much money there is to be made with consoles.

The costs of consoles are going up.
Bullshit. Consoles have been continuously getting cheaper, and both Microsoft and Sony profit on every console made.

Used game sales are skyrocketing.
No, they're not. Proof?

The barrier of entry is sky high for developers.
Oh? Where's the proof for this?

Monopolized market.
I'm pretty sure you don't understand what "monopoly" means.

Console cycles going on for longer periods.
Which means you can count on the fact that your development kit will stay profitable for a long period of time. This is actually a major benefit of console development, I don't know why you think this is an issue.

Entering consoles is financial SUICIDE right now.
Well fuck, I guess we have a shit ton of suicidal developers right now then.

That was really, really pathetic. Please don't do that again, at least, if you must do it again, have some proof for what you say.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
So, I read that whole article, and granted, you did good work. But there's some serious flaws. I don't know why anyone didn't refute these, but you seem a bit too overconfident in what you've written.

Let's start with the biggest issue. The majority of your linked articles are 4 years old (2008). Some are so old they don't exist anymore. The article about Kotick itself is two years old, before Black Ops came out, before MW3 came out. the CoD series didn't start to pick up until MW2. Somehow, I doubt he would say the same if he factored in the profits made from Black Ops and MW3. Not to mention, WoW has had a far larger audience before CoD came into the mix whatsoever, so it is obvious that the majority of their profits were coming from non-consoles. But this is, of course, a convenient fact for you to exploit for your article, even though it has NOTHING to do with the cost of development for a console.

It is more or less understood that the Wii is last generation, and therefore will have last-generation costs with last-generation graphics and last-generation complexity. Adding to the fact that article is from 2007 (seriously??), and I'd say your logic in choosing that article is a bit dated.

The article concerning Blitz Games doesn't have Blitz Games using the word "console" or implying in any way that their statement concerns consoles (I read the whole article and excepting the Escapists insertion of an uncited "fact" about the PS3 and the mention of Halo 3, there is nothing in there to suggest the story is about consoles).

It is now roughly the middle of 2012. And not only do consoles still exist, but successors have been confirmed. New hardware has come out. The Kinect is selling like hotcakes. Somehow, I'm not seeing this "in-sustainability" that you keep vehemently mentioning. It sounds more like a global-warming speech; many predictions, many warnings, but somehow, it doesn't seem to happen. You throw in words like "dynamics of the economy" and "economic crash" as though they mean anything, but your so-called "predictions" are based on outdated articles and an unwillingness to see the nature of console gaming as it is right in front of you.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Draech said:
You know I am going to let you win this one because there is no way for me to talk to you like this.
This was all I needed to hear. You don't like logic being thrown into your face, so you'll "let me win". Oh, how gracious I am for that.

I didn't reinterpret jack shit. You made two related claims, got called out on the first, and decided you were only saying the second in response. That's just pure cowardice.

When you're ready to man up and address the origin of where Angry Birds came from (and that's just the start of the flaws of your opinion), you be sure to let me know, sunshine.

Enjoy your run.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I hope to god they don't actually work together, Valve is a single last island in a sea of shit user policy.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
Well, they did put Steam on Mac OS, so if its along those lines I'm fine with it, but if its anything that'll interfere with Steam, then there's a problem.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
LiquidSolstice said:
Draech said:
You know I am going to let you win this one because there is no way for me to talk to you like this.
This was all I needed to hear. You don't like logic being thrown into your face, so you'll "let me win". Oh, how gracious I am for that.

I didn't reinterpret jack shit. You made two related claims, got called out on the first, and decided you were only saying the second in response. That's just pure cowardice.

When you're ready to man up and address the origin of where Angry Birds came from (and that's just the start of the flaws of your opinion), you be sure to let me know, sunshine.

Enjoy your run.
Where do you people come from? I couldn't be this smug if I'd just banged a supermodel in my Ferrari while winning the lottery, let alone while scoring nonexistent "intellectual" points in banal thread about hardware and software companies. Pull it together, man.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
ResonanceGames said:
LiquidSolstice said:
Draech said:

Enjoy your run.
Where do you people come from? I couldn't be this smug if I'd just banged a supermodel in my Ferrari while winning the lottery, let alone while scoring nonexistent "intellectual" points in banal thread about hardware and software companies. Pull it together, man.
Yeah, must be easy to take pot-shots when you don't have a clue what two people are arguing about. If I come off as smug, it's because I proposed logical flaws in someone's arguments and instead of addressing them, that person is running away, insulting me in the process.

Tell you what, participate in a conversation if you have something to contribute. Cool? Cool.