Apple Voted Largest Influence On Gaming Industry

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ok, first of, lolz. Not sure who voted on that crap or following what train of thought, but I reckon it's safe to say they were absolutely bonkers.

Second, why the fuck would someone compare Steam with PlayStation? Steam is not a platform, it's a store. That's like comparing an airplane to a fridge in a poll for the most efficient means of cross continent travel.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Mark Zuckerberg is one of the people on this list of the most influential people in gaming. I think that really tells you everything about how valid it is.

OT: I can see why people are claiming the iPhone is influential. With the rise of app games and such, it does show a clear challenge to the established mold. I can also see why the Wii is up there, considering it vastly broadened the demographic. I'd put Steam a little higher, but that's just me. But this is purely in terms of being influential. And they seem to be more than willing to ignore anything before the mid-90s...

As for the people: I can understand Jobs being in the top 10. Jobs beating both Miyamoto and Newel makes no sense whatsoever. The man who created the biggest digital distribution platform for hardcore gaming and the man called "The Father of Modern Gaming." were voted less influential than Jobs.

And I repeat: Mark Zuckerberg is in the top 5. That by itself can pretty much render this entire poll completely worthless.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Am I missing something here? Oh right, the pippin. That thing definitely set the course of gaming for decades to come...

Dec 14, 2009
Vrach said:
Ok, first of, lolz. Not sure who voted on that crap or following what train of thought, but I reckon it's safe to say they were absolutely bonkers.

Second, why the fuck would someone compare Steam with PlayStation? Steam is not a platform, it's a store. That's like comparing an airplane to a fridge in a poll for the most efficient means of cross continent travel.
You've obviously never traveled with Sub-Zero Airways.

The air conditioning is brilliant and the food is within arms reach.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
complete and utter bullshit!

steve jobs and the iphone dosnt even have a place in the survay of what has had largest influence on the gaming industry.

also, was it a convention for mentaly disabled game devs or what, the Wii is second on the list... So the Wii has more of an impact on games then the PS one, what! o_O

Also, Bill gates + directX... MUCH bigger impact

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Apple just made some portable music players and telephones, Whopdi freaking dooo. Yeah sure they Changed games forever ha .... ha.. ha..

Biased poll if i ever saw one. Probably bribed them All with a new iphone seems more apples style.

Microsoft with xbox and first to really start utilizing multiplayer on console and on PC-s in general. Need i even say more? Rest of the things are just kid Toys that have been popular for a few years.

Not to mention Windows-Pc gaming has been the constant driving force and of development for the last 20 years or more. Most of the consoles had their games coded on it even.

Hell the microsoft guy that minesweeper prob did more for gaming then apple did.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Everyone should realise that the games industry is shaped by developers mainly and not sole individuals. Steve Jobs just happens to be the personal embodiment of apple, but most companies don't really have that. Microsoft does, with Bill Gates, but he is not the head of the gaming section of the company, just like Steve Jobs wasn't the head of the gaming section of Apple.

Both lists seem like a bunch of random items from the nomination list slapped down with some random numbers though.

EDIT: also, where is the list for actual games that had the biggest influence on gaming, that seems like the most obvious thing of the many many many many things that have an influence on gaming?

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Erm, I don't know about you guys, but when I think of gamings biggest triumphs, I don't think of Steve Jobs or apple...

I think of Steam, and Gabe Newell... I think of Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, all that jazz. NOWHERE on that list would I have ever in a million years thought Apple...

Sucking up to his death a bit?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
In reality:

Product goes to Steam because the massive success of Digital Distribution can be attributed at least half to it and People would go to Zuckerberg because as much as I hate Facebook it has spawned an entire new genre for gaming. (Regardless of how crap those games currently are)

If there was a developer award it would go to Perfect World because them sticking to their free-to-play model for MMOs is causing more and more developers to switch to that model also when they see it working and even bringing in more money than a subscription based scheme would.

But that's just my opinion, my opinion also says whoever answered Jobs and iPhone on that poll are idiots and sheep.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Sagacious Zhu said:
I won't report you because you're spot-on but I would suggest you add some text to avoid a low content infraction.

(Couldn't edit this on to my other post because that doesn't exist yet, apparently)

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
OK well this... well stupid to say the least. Microsoft has an exponentially greater influence on gaming seeing as they publish 2 major systems (Xbox and PC). Apple publishes a phone with casual games and considering the Droid is much more popular it looks like Apple doesn't even win in that market. To call the people who voted in this professionals in the gaming industry is like calling Mario an expert in the pasta industry. Ya, a lot of their lives revolve around it but all they understand is the final product and what to do with it.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Vrach said:

Yeah, like why the fuck would anybody think of using an airplane for that?
No but really, the nominations for the lists must have been far too broad. There should have been a list for physical products and a separate one for services or something.
And again I point out, where is the list for actual Games? Thats like listing the influences for a band without naming any other bands...

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
If we're looking at the last five years I may believe that the iphone has had the biggest influence on the industry . . . I wouldn't have chosen it, but I can see the rational behind it. But this clearly isn't limited to recent history and in that case the iphone seems woefully outclassed.

The games that are so popular on smart phones today had been extremely popular on the internet for some time before. If they'd been a niche thing I'd understand the worth in popularizing them on a new platform, but flash games have been a major internet phenomena for over a decade.

And on that note, given that Flash is largely responsible for making these online games possible, it seems downright insulting to nominate Jobs for this award. Jobs has gone on multiple ridiculous rants about Flash and Adobe. And either he did this without bothering to understand their point, or he purposefully skewed things because he didn't like Adobe. Either way this is unbecoming behavior.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
You all are wrong.

Obviously cheap remakes of free Flash games being sold on a gimmicky closed platform introduced by a dude who hated gaming has more impact on our medium than Microsoft's Windows and XBox, Sony's Playstation, and Nintendo's NES and Wii.

How can it be more obvious?

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
People seem to forget how many mainstays in certain genres only exist because of Shigeru Miyamoto's input. Seriously the contributions (no matter how appreciated) of Steve Jobs and Gabe Newell are miniscule by comparison.

I guess this goes to show how much a person's death can color a person's opinion about the deceased.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm sure this had nothing to do at all with the fact that he recently died and for some reason people seem to be swooning over him suddenly. >.>