Aqua & Shap's Game of Life - [Closed - Started!]

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Welcome to the Game of Life.

While many characters busy themselves with slaying monsters, rescuing damsels and piloting space vessels, this special RP takes a very different kind of skill. You will not be wielding swords, nor possess powers of any kind.

You are a normal, relatively average young college student. Your life thrives on two major concepts: relationships, and drama.

So what are you waiting for? Go live your life.​

This is the third instalment of the Game of Life series, each run by a different GM. For this one, Shapsters and myself will be co-GMing. We will be accepting applicants based on the quality of sheets submitted, and the amount we receive.

So, why should the Game of Life appeal to you? This series isn't about nonsensical action and one-liners. Sure, there might be some of that, too, but it's about more. It's about the relationships we form as adults, the actions and consequences of free youth, and the discoveries we make about ourselves. It's a chance to develop your writing skills alongside seasoned RPers and learn how to interact effectively with others on a higher emotional level. Not to mention, it's damn good fun.

To join, simply fill out the sheet below, read the rules/information, and let myself or Shapsters know if you have any questions.

Previous Game of Life's:

ThreeWord's Game of Life [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.172963-3Ws-Game-of-Life-Now-playing?page=1]

Shapster's Game of Life 2.0 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.178328-Shapsters-Game-of-Life-2-0-Closed-Started?page=1]

Name: (Pretty self-explanatory.)

Age: (Should ideally be from 18-22. Since many characters here are just entering college, 18 is the most probable.)

Orientation: (Hetero/homosexual, LGBT?)

Ethnicity & Appearance: (Is your character Caucasian, African, Indian? What colour eyes and hair? What sort of body type? Giving a strong description can help players visualize and identify your character more easily.)

Personality: (You can be a little vague here, since this will develop through the RP. But what are some character quirks? Is he/she an introvert, bubbly, studious?)

Background: (What kind of family does (s)he come from- wealthy, impoverished? How did your character grow up?)

College Program: (Area of study. Some examples: Engineering, history, English, computer programming, graphic design, business, music, etc. For the sake of giving free reign here, the college in the RP has no specialization and a broad array of available (but also realistic) programs.)

Relationships: (This can include family, romances, friends, or anything you deem important. It is strongly recommended that you create relationships with other members of the RP. You can do this through PMs if you like.)

• -No uninteresting characters. This includes Mary Sues, as well as personality aspects such as Trenchcoating. This RP thrives on the quality of its characters.
    -No god-modding.
    -HAVE FUN! Chat with your fellow RPers and collaborate with them. If you fail to take any initiative, your character may end up out of the loop. The majority of the plot and events are created by the players, so cooperation is key.

Some notes about the RP setting:

-The RP takes place in 'the city', with all of you attending Harbour College. It has a population of roughly 15, 000 with an abundance of facilities found in typical colleges around the United States. It is located within walking distance to the beach.
-There is no set lore of any kind for the RP; no maps, no strict locations. If you want to go to the pizza shack down the street or the theatre in the mall, they can be invented purely by mention.
-Your character can be living in either residence or at home with family. Residence is recommended, ensuring that your character is closer to the action, so to speak.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Alright I'm so in on this so I'll get my old sheet and tweak it to the times, which means a bit of writing, expect it optimally tonight, if all else fails tomorrow for sure.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Oh, I've been waiting for this. I think you'll find my character satisfactory.

Name: Gabriel (Jethro) Nayl (Gabe to his friends)
Orientation: Heterosexual

Ethnicity & Appearance: Gabriel is Caucasian, 5'10" tall, with different-coloured eyes - left is brown, right is blue - and straight black hair which he keeps cut short to about two inches long. He appears to not have much muscle, but is incredibly athletic and can hold his own in a fight.
Gabriel's casual wear is normally polo shirts and bootcut jeans of various designs and colours, and slightly tattered tennis shoes. Occasionally he adds either a jacket or a hoodie (both unbuttoned/unzipped) if he deems it necessary. He also wears a steel watch and a silver pendant in the form of a two-dimensional bird in flight.
He also has a tailored suit for special occasions, with appropriate shoes to match.

Image courtesy of Escapist [user]tsatoma[/user].

Personality: Ordinarily Gabriel is a cheerful, easygoing person with a bright, happy outlook on life, although he has been known to suffer the occasional bout of minor depression. He struggles with arguing his point of view against others, and will concede if he doesn't have a response to what others are saying. He likes to think his pendant beings good luck. Also, Gabriel hates fighting, and doesn't want to do it unless he has no other choice.
He has an intense dislike of both smoking and other drug use (besides alcohol, of course; the usual double-standard) and the objectification of women in today's media and society.

Background: Gabriel was raised by his mother, Sarah Nayl; his parents divorced before he was born, and Sarah went back to using her maiden name. As a child he was a quick learner, progressing through elementary and middle school with no major problems besides the bullies that every child has at that age (they picked on him because of his eyes). At high school he studied subjects including French, music, drama, computer applications, advanced math & English and media studies. He finished high school with fairly high qualifications in most of his subjects.

During his time at high school Gabriel was bullied over a number of years by a particular group of people a year older than him. Eventually he snapped when they took it too far one day after school, and laid into them. He overpowered the group's alpha-male, having beaten him into the ground while only taking a few hits himself, and the bullies never bothered him since. Gabriel reported the incident to a member of the school staff, and was let off on the grounds that it had been justified by the bullies' constant aggravation and it being a first-time offence. Since then Gabriel has always found a way to resolve a conflict peacefully rather than through violence... unless there is absolutely no other option.

Relationships: The few relationships Gabriel has been through in the past had short lives. Although he had had his eye on a young Jenna de Sarago for a while but never acted on it, he first asked a girl out at age 17, Abigail Davidson. She wanted to take the relationship much faster than he did, practically begging him to have sex with her at one point even though he had made it clear he wasn't going to do it, and eventually they broke it off after less than two months together.

Gabriel waited for the better part of a year before making an attempt at another relationship, in order to make sure he was completely over Abigail and he no longer had any romantic feelings for her. In the later part of his last year of high school he began dating a shy Chinese computer-whiz named Aimee Chen. Sadly she had had to move to England with her family, and neither of them wanted to try a long-distance relationship. However, Gabriel has not given up on relationships yet, and hopes to make a fresh start at college.

College Program: Music

Interests & Hobbies: Gabriel enjoys cooking - he is a talented cook, and owns a large number of cookbooks - rock music, the occasional video game, Shakespeare and playing guitar, both acoustic and electric.

Miscellaneous Notes:
- Gabriel owns a silver moped and matching helmet which he uses to get around.
- His alcoholic drink of choice is Bacardi and Coke.
- He works at a cafe opposite Harbour College, having had the job since he was 16. The job is part-time; Gabriel normally works on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 AM to 4 PM each day.
- Gabriel shares his college apartment with two other students around his age, Susan Garth and Claudette Bellerose. While both of them seem to be a little distant with him, he likes the idea of being friends with the two girls, especially if they're all gonna be living in the same place for a few years.

I added a couple of extra headings to fill out my character a little more and ingrain him into the RP, if that's all right.

Edit: Anyone who wants their character to be friends with mine, shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
CounterAttack said:
I added a couple of extra headings to fill out my character a little more and ingrain him into the RP, if that's all right.
That's always alright. :D But you're not bringing Jenna back? Bawww!

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Aqualung said:
CounterAttack said:
That's always alright. :D But you're not bringing Jenna back? Bawww!
I figured a change was necessary for Version 3 of this RP. Although I did mention Jenna in Gabriel's bio, just as a point of interest. Besides, I have a lot more female characters than male these days, and I opted to try and tip the balance back.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Keep a spot available for me...I'll get my sheet up as soon as Im able too

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
AgDr_ODST said:
Keep a spot available for me...I'll get my sheet up as soon as Im able too
No reserves, however make a good enough character sheet and you'll be up for the running ^^

We await your sheet.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Ah, I'll post a sheet later today. It's late here and I should have been in bed a while ago. :p

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Hmm, this looks interesting enough. I'll make a sheet later today :3

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Just to use this double post better, I'm gonna post my sheet here. Hope it's good.
Name: Susan Garth

Orientation: Bisexual

Ethnicity & Appearance: Susan is an English Caucasian, her skin a little pale. About 5'7" in height and around 176 pounds in weight. She's not very fat, but still has a bit and she's a little muscular. She has red, straight hair that reaches down to half her back and green eyes. Her usual attire consists of black sports clothes, usually joggers outfit, with a zipped sweater which she usually never zippes up. She's often seen wearing a black T-shirt with a metal band on it that she really likes. She wears black sneakers to match her other clothes. She also wears glasses with brown framework and oval glass. She has a soft face and her bra size is C.

Personality: Susan is a rather kind woman, not easily angered and she usually sticks by her friends. She doesn't drink any kind of alcohol, has never drunk before and she doesn't smoke or use any sort of drug, except the occasional medical drug for obvious reasons. She doesn't like it when her friends are being bullied or hurt in any kind and is willing to help total strangers, even though she's been hurt a few times because of that. She never harbors any grudges, something she's learned isn't healthy to keep.

Background: Susan grew up in a rather well established home. Her family wasn't poor or overly wealthy, they always managed to pay what needed to be payed and were thankful for what they had. They were quite the happy family, something you seem to rarely find nowadays. They lived at first in their homecountry of England. Even though she's English, Susan doesn't really have an English accent or 'slang', though you can pick up fairly easily that she is English. At her ten year old birthday, they moved to America, since her father had gotten a job there along with his promotion for the good work he had done for his company. They settled in and lived quite happily in their new home. Susan managed to make new friends, who at first made a little fun of her accent, but after a while they got used to her accent and she played with them whenever she could.

Susan learned early on that being nice can get you further in life than being mean to everyone, when you put it into kid's terms. She was usually the first one in her school to help those who needed help, such as when a few kids were bullying one kid, she'd step up and yell at them why they were doing it and after a while, she'd managed to get them to leave the one kid alone. In her graduate year, she was awarded with a medal for her help around the school and being so nice to everyone. She still had the same friends from when she moved to America and was rather glad to have them by her side. Despite how nice she is, though, she's never had a relationship with anyone. She was usually too shy to tell someone that she liked them, and no one told her that they liked her like that.

Now, she's moved to the city where Harbour College is. She couldn't afford a place of her own, and so she looked around for a residence. She was so grateful when she found one. She's yet to form an opinion of her roommates, but she hopes to be friends with them.

College Program: Music

Relationships: Her family, the Garths, is very dear to her and consists of herself, her father, her mother and younger brother. They supported her when she said she wanted to study music in Harbour College and allowed her to move there. They were a bit concerned whether she'd be living on her own or with someone else, and weren't sure which was worse, but they still supported her.
Her friends all went to other colleges or got themselves jobs, so she hopes to make some new friends in her new college.
In a residence, she has two roommates. A guy named Gabriel Jethro Nayl, who she hopes to be friends with, and a girl named Claudette Bellerose, who she also hopes to be friends with.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Well I'm up for another go, I'll write a profile when I'm not working on an assignment that's due today...

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Name: Grim Thorvaldsson

Orientation: Bicurious Heterosexual.

Ethnicity & Appearance: Caucasian, standing at the rather tall 6'1" (185cm), bright green eyes. He has a straight dark blonde hair, usually kept short. And while Grim is in no way extremely muscular, he could still be called fit. His skin tone is slightly darker than most Scandinavians'.

He has a pleasant face, with hard angular cheek-bones and a long thin nose, and more often than not with his lips in a mysterious smile.

He usually wear a variety of slim fit jeans and tshirt, various other shirts or jackets for colder days. Although he deny any sense of fashion, his clothes tend to be of more exclusive brands, at least for a student. When people ask him how he can afford it he never answer.

Personality: Humorous, jovial and extroverted on the surface, he often appears to be a bit shallow, although nice and outgoing to people whom he do not consider 'friends'. Once you gain his trust, however, you have a faithful and devoted friend. That said, he has trust issues and fear of betrayal. If you get on his bad side it's very hard to win your way back.

Otherwise, he has a very cheerful and positive attitude.

Background: Moving from Iceland to the United States when he was just three years old, he hardly has any memory of his country of origin at all, and its only legacy is his name and a half-learned language. The same name and accent that singled him out and got him bullied all the way through kindergarten to middle school. After that they moved to a bigger city, and another school, and Grim just became a face in the crowd.

His father being the CEO of a medium sized fishing company operating off the coasts of Iceland, Canada and the US his family never had any economic problems. On the other hand, Grim hardly ever saw his dad, and his raising was left almost completely in his mother's hands. His mother stressed the necessity of education to him, and pressed him hard in school, leaving him with good grades, but perhaps not with as many friends as one could have hoped for, and without some of the necessary social skills to smoothly make more.

When he was 17 his mother died in a car accident, an event Grim on many levels regarded as a betrayal towards himself, on her part. Afterward he had his first real talk with his father in many years. It ended badly, and Grim decided to break all contact and go live on his own. The money left for him by his mother was enough to pull him through high school (with decent grades), and later move away from his old life to Harbour College in [The City]. He is very hesitant to use the money his father sent (and still sends) him on a regular basis, as he considers them 'dirty bribe money for a forsaken childhood'.

College Program: Psychology

Relationships: His past is riddled with failed romances and old acquaintances, but more or less he felt that there was nothing irreplaceable he left behind when he left home for College and a new city.
[I'll wait for more sheets until I decide about Player-Controlled (and otherwise) relationships acquired in the new city]

Notes:
-He loves animals, particularly birds.
-He is a member of the College swimming team.
-He has known problems with alcohol, does often not realize when it's time to stop.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
I feel so proud when I see this idea bearing such fruit =D
In a way it gives me more pride than Surge...

Name: Will Arnup

Orientation: Bisexual

Ethnicity & Appearance: Will is tall and rather thin, though his weight is not obvious as the clothes he wears are large by necessity to fit his long limbs, and thus hang baggily on him. His ginger-brown hair is of medium length, as he is still in the boyhood habit of having about one haircut a year, cutting it short before summer then lasting the whole year before cutting it all off again. Despite his lean build he is quite strong, as with no fat on his body his limbs still seem small, though well toned.
Wills face is rather handsome, with strong cheekbones beneath blue-green eyes, and a wide mouth that most easily falls into a smile. His movements are confident, smooth and graceful, though unless he concentrates, he tends to slouch.

Personality: Will attentions can be narrow, but where it focusses he is incapable of half measures; anything he turns his hand to he does to the furthest possible extent. In his studies, he excels at that which interests him and abandons that which does not, with activities he will pour energy into anything he deems worthy and with people he will form a few strong bonds, and never let them drop.
He is intelligent, fond of long words and elaborate language, and frowns on what he calls 'purposeful stupidity'; namely, when people switch off their intellects. For Will, there is never a time when one should not be thinking, and to not think is to let oneself down.

Background: Son of a pair of artists (well, his father is an art therapist, but still), Will was born into a liberal family, with a huge extent of cousins, most of whom were both older and extremely successful. From a young age, he was reminded that amongst his cousins numbered an Olympic cyclist, an author, a scientist, two lawyers, a mathematician, and three artists, and was very much aware that he had a name to live up to.
Driven by what he now views as 'hippy influences', his parents tried to give him a pure childhood, keeping him away from computer games, junkfood, and violent sports, and tried to instil in him 'better' values. As such, he became fond of reading and alternative sports, though in his teens he took up fencing in the spirit of rebellion, and went through a phase of addictive video gaming and eating of sweets, though eh has mostly shaken this off, and it seems his parents' plans have paid off; he is healthy in mind and body, if a little weird.

College Program: Pure mathematics, (and a part-time course in French)

Relationships: Will's close family includes his younger brother Luke, and his parents, and while he is fond of his cousins, they have grown up and he rarely sees them.

I'm open to friends, enemies, love interests, whatever. PM me, or simply quote =)

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
I'll cook up a sheet and give this a shot if I'm allowed to make a druggie, that way I'll be able to bring some of my experience into the RP XD

Jun 26, 2009
Name: Alicia Hammerthyst

Orientation: Unsure, she has never been in a relationship or had a 'crush' on anyone
(Real)before.

Ethnicity & Appearance: Alicia is Caucasian and stands at around 5"4'. She has black hair that goes halfway down her back. Her eyes are green and always seem to be looking through things then at them, which often freaks many people out when she stares at them. Sheis very thin and not very muscular, due to extremely fast metabolism and him often avoiding exercise. She has medium sized breasts. She normally wears a red trench coat, a black top and trousers with black army boots. He also wears white gloves.

Yes I know it's Edward from FMA but the reason why will be explained in personality.​

Personality: Alicia is an extravagant Okatu, plain and simple. She lives for videogames, anime though surprisingly not manga (She's never been one for graphic novels, they bore him). She is often considered to be weird by others due to this and the fact her favorite clothes are exactly like an anime characters (Which he created herself, she boasts). She gets extremely angry when called a weeabo, to which she shouts in the callers face 'I am not a weeabo! I dislike manga!'. She admits her Okatu and weird nature proudly, claiming them to be what makes her 'unique' and 'awesome'.

Background: Alicia comes from a wealthy family from Britain who moved to America when she was twelve to get her a better education, thus she has a prominent posh accent. When she was in a private school in America she met a boy around her age who had an obsession with anime and videogames, Alicia and him became best friends often watching anime together and playing videogames together and she often blames his Okatu-ness on him. When she was fifteen after her parents got into a row with the headteacher and she moved leaving het friend behind, they have never met again unfortunately though she still looks for him. Since then she's been doing good in school hoping to become a writer and actor when she's older. His parents liked the fact that 'the Hammerthyst name could be famous' and supported him along the way. When it was time for her to go to college they gave her what could be considered a substantial amount of money and sent her off. Thus she finds herself where she is, not much caring.

College Program: Drama

Relationships: She has a few friends here and there (Put just to change if anyone wants to have a relationship with him)
Hope it's good, if anything should need a changing then tell me.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
The Zango said:
I'll cook up a sheet and give this a shot if I'm allowed to make a druggie, that way I'll be able to bring some of my experience into the RP XD
Haha, yeah, that's fine. :p Just keep in mind that if your character is found doing substance abuse, he/she will be given a punishment for it. Depending on the severity, it could be anything from rehabilitation meetings, to eviction from residence.

Funnily enough, a group of guys in my residence were caught doing so last night; who knows what will happen to them...?

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Name: Ted 'Lance' Robeson

Orientation: Hetro but experimental.

Ethnicity & Appearance: Lance (as he prefers to be called) is mixed race, his mother being white and his dad being black, but despite the mix, he is darker than your average mixed race person and refers to himself as black. He has corn-rows in his hair and a light goatee that he has been growing for the last seven years.

His physique is quite athletic and trim, but while he isn't scrawny, he isn't bulging with muscle either. He also has several ticks and twitches, the most prominent being his right hand shaking uncontrollably at times, brought about by a combination of drugs and isolation.

Personality: Due to two years homeschooling during highschool he is a little socially awkward, but once he gets comfortable with people he is almost frighteningly confident. While he is a generally nice person, he doesn't really have any rules and feels no guilt if he commits a crime or hurts someone.

Background: Lance was born in America, but grew up in England and was an average kid until he got kicked out of Highschool for several instances of disruption. For the next two years he was homeschooled, but during that time he became very introverted and began to suffer from a deep depression. At sixteen however he changed all of that, signing up to a community college so he could get his basic GCSE's (the equivalent of your GED's I think). There he underwent a drastic change, where he looked at his life and decided that he was going to go from a socially awkward hermit into the confident life of the party.

While he did succeed, he also fell into what some would describe as a 'bad crowd' and began to smoke weed on a regular basis, even going as far as partnering up with his dealer friend to supply his friends.

After a couple of close calls with the police and after his GCSE courses were completed (with great success might I add) Lance decided that he was going to go back to where he was born, America, where he would take his innate skills in listening and helping people and turn that into a career.

College Program: Counselling/Psychology

Relationships: None, he has just come back to America, though he still keeps in contact with his friends and family.

Notes: Despite being new to the city, Lance has already secured a dealer and continues to smoke weed regularly

By the way, before you start judging the character, I'll let you know that Lance is basically me and the bit before his move to America is my current life XD

Tell me if I can change or improve anything though, here's hoping I get in :D