Aquaman Movie a "Reality," Says Smallville Actor

'Aredor

Jan 24, 2010
I agree, to make it even remotely good, you'd have to use a budget even higher than that normally used for that kind of film, and the character's popularity won't convince any studio to greenlight it. Haven't seen that pilot, though.

BTW: How could "nothing be further from the truth" although "no one has approached him yet". Doesn't the latter mean that it's all just rumors floating around? Ah, never mind.

Wicky_42 said:
lets stick to good super heroes to make films about, please? Before the renovated genre becomes full of crap?
Before? Didn't you hear about Catwoman, Elektra, Aeon Flux, Ultraviolet...

...wait a minute. They're all about female superheroes, now that I think about it. Here's an idea, why not make it Aquawoman? Wouldn't that be great?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
16$ and a box of twinkies is "too high" for the budget.

Seriously. No.

A: its a waste of money.
B: its a waste of effort
C: No one is going to want to see it
D: people who do go to see it are either going to watch it in order to make fun of it or are teenagers using it as a dark room to make out in.

Please, film execs I know its hard when you lack any ability to create new and original ideas and are looking for any sort of Teet left untouched on the cash cow, but this film no matter how much you put behind it is going to fail. So please dont even bother.

I know its alot to ask, but just because you see Marvel building up to launch an Avengers film does NOT mean you have to try to do the same in order to gear up to do a justice league film. Even if thats what you intend to do, you couldnt do Wonder woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter first?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
The Great JT said:
Don't get me wrong, I like Aquaman, but he's kind of a tricky hero to pull off. Let's face it, everyone's still got that preconcieved notion of "Aquaman is only useful when crime is taking place near water" that Superfriends drove into our skulls, and it's going to take one hell of an event to get people to change that. Not even Badass Aquaman from Justice League or Awesome Aquaman from Batman: Brave and the Bold could do it (and last I checked, B:BatB Aquaman was, in fact, awesome).
i agree they need to show off more of his powers like the fact he does have super strength

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I like Ritchson on Blue Mountain State as Thad Castle, actually I love him its my favorite show, but Aquaman has never been my favorite hero. Ritchson could change my mind though.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
They kinda changed him alot in smallville so if they play off that you could make a decent movie that didn't need to be mostly under water.

In smallville any contact with water replenishes his strength and he is basically trapped only when put under heat lamps and kept dehydrated. Using a sort of wet suit that keeps water next to aquaman you could basically make him into a super strong, tough and fairly fast hero out of the water with a bunch of semi interesting abilities (super speed, ability to communicate with fish etc) in the water.

What is more they seem to have given him the ability to control water as well. In a recent episode of smallville he created a huge wave that pounded clark into a water tank. If you add the ability to control water even when on land to everything else he can do (super strength, endurance etc) you have quite an interesting character with many cool abilities even when on land. He has the ultimate backup base (the whole freaking ocean) if he gets into trouble on land as well.

If they wanted to they could make a very cool movie based on the current Aquaman character. Add in the great reason for having tons of girls in bikini's (and in the trailers) and you will probably have no shortage of people lining up to watch a movie.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:

A joke then, a joke now.

A lot of other Marvel superheroes need a movie more than Aquaman.
Aquaman is DC dood >.>

but i'm a go see it, it'll be a B movie of such epic proportions that it demands to be seen, kinda like a car crash or train wreck

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Couple of things I noticed have popped up in this thread: that Aquaman is only useful in certain situations (the sea), and that his powers are supposedly 'lame.' The second one has already been addressed numerous times (the whole 'commanding every ocean-based creature in the world' has been shown to be useful in comics and recent cartoons, as well as the hypothetical Cthulhu example; there was also that Justice League comic where he was able to force invading aliens to suffocate by controling the part of their brain descended from fish), but I want to point out a flaw in the first comment:

Most of the world is covered by water. The oceans are also home to some of the most exotic species on the planet, and we likely still haven't discovered all of them. Not only that, but most, if not all, significant cities on the planet are located right next to the ocean. The ones that aren't coastal tend to be at least within jumping distance of some major body of water, or a river that drains into the ocean, meaning that an Aquaman film could still actually take place in New York or L.A. (or even cities like Sydney, Tokyo, Cape Town, Istanbul, etc., if one wanted to get away from America). There's all the makings of a visually stunning action movie here that can also be relevent to modern issues (preaching optional), and I'd go see that. The only problem would be to get a writer/director who's not an unimaginative dullard, and has the technical skill to pull off the visuals.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Aquaman is one of the most powerful super heroes, he can kill you with a flick of his wrist, some form of liquid in the brain, well he can screw with that and kill you instantly, he controls water too, not just sea creatures

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
COMMON MISCONCEPTION, LET ME GET MY NERD HAT

Aquaman is not just superstrong under water. He's superstrong everywhere because he lives at the bottom of the ocean and withstands depth pressure that would crush a human like a beer can.

Thus Aquaman has the strength to exert several tons, is bullet proof/resistant, and can communicate with and CONTROL marine mamilia and fish, and very likly LAND Mamilia as well given the simiarities o their brain.

Thats right, he can fuck with human minds. Not outright control, but probably fuck with them, if you follow the logic of his powers.

My version would also have Hydrokinesis, turning him from a spiderman level hero to an omg fuck you world threatening peril.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
And it shall be about the BP oil spill....

As more of a general movie-goer an not a specific super hero fan, they would really have to pull some tricks to make the premise remotely interesting. I just imagine that the film would suffer one or a combination of bad writing, acting, and/or directing.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
He good be a good antagonist in a Justice League film, at least a minor one.

Have him do the whole 'if you go on my oceans I'll bust a cap in your ass' routine and go from there.

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
His powers are "limited" because of the sea? Newsflash: the entire planet's surface is 70% ocean. Many of the most important cities in the world are right up against it. Ask the people of Miami, New York, Washington, London, Hong Kong and thousands other feel about the threats from the ocean. Tsunamis, tidal waves, hurricanes, and all other manner of oceanborn natural disaster - Aquaman's the man for the job.

Talking to fish is somehow useless? Let's see the villains laugh when Aquaman leads an army consisting of sharks, stingrays, orcas, sea lions, giant octopi, colossal squids, and god-knows-what-else is lurking in the depths of the ocean man still hasn't even begun to chart. Don't forget there are plenty of sea creatures that can go on land.

Plus there's the fact that Aquaman's immensely strong and fast *outside* of the water, and I don't think an Aquaman movie's such a bad idea after all, especially if it takes after The Brave and the Bold's imagining.

Judging Aquaman purely on the Super Friends is as ludicrous as judging Batman on Batman & Robin. Even in Super Friends, Aquaman could lift a goddamn submarine.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Its been said already, but it can't be overstated. Aquaman is awesome. His powers, while optimal underwater (control sea life), are useful just about anywhere (super-strength, bullet-proof, possible control of water bodies (depends on adaptation)). Whether he's portrayed as a big ham (Batman: Brave and the Bold) or as a serious hero (DC comics) he always gets things done. Notice in B:BatB when Aquaman shows up. Everybody groans or mocks him and then Aquaman, while acting like a goof, beats the living hell out of any enemy he comes across, near the ocean or no.

Of course, I'd like to see a Blue Beetle (the 3rd one) movie before Aquaman. Just a matter of preference.