Arc Rise Fantasia: The Hairstyle Guide

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Arc Rise Fantasia: The Hairstyle Guide

How good is JRPG Arc Rise Fantasia for the Wii? Who cares? What really matters is how to replicate its hairstyles.

Publishers will frequently send supplementary material with a review copy of a game to better help us reviewers understand or appreciate the experience. Sometimes it's a silly bit of swag, other times it's a "reviewer's guide" that points out items of interest. I think you'll agree, however, that the booklet that came with Arc Rise Fantasia renders all other supplements obsolete. Behold, the guide's introduction:

Hairstyle stands among the most notable traditions within Japanese RPGs. Each character is partially defined by their choice in locks, from the strong and silent heroes to the bubbly and carefree sidekicks. More than just a fashion statement, everything from the choice in cut and color, to the myriad accessories worn, there's a defining sense of self with each flashy hairdo!

In Arc Rise Fantasia, players meet a world of characters with different views, passions, and goals, each with their quintessentially JRPG hairstyles!

Explore this handy guide to create your very own Arc Rise Fantasia hairstyles this summer.

On the pages that follow, the game character is set on one page with a picture of the "real life" interpretation of the appropriate hair style and directions on how to achieve it gracing the facing page. The directions tend to be a bit on the vague side, such as "toss head a few times" or "tousle hair as a model would" and I'm not sure there is a color of purple that's "most flattering for your skin tone," but you have to admire how committed the guide is to seeing its wonderfully ridiculous premise through.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
so...are the Escapist staff (with hair) going to be attempting to create these styles to show us how useful the guide is?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cousin_IT said:
so...are the Escapist staff (with hair) going to be attempting to create these styles to show us how useful the guide is?
I look like this every day.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Well... my hairdresser compared my last choice of hairstyle to Sonic, so maybe I'm halfway there already. Though I thought it was a little more JRPG, being a black and red mohawk...

Ponchponcho

Apr 19, 2010
Do they provide the buckets of lead based adhesive you would need to keep in place longer than 5 seconds?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
John Funk said:
Cousin_IT said:
o_O

Bedhead? Or you prepare it every morning?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, the HJapanese do love doing stuff with there hair...god knows, they are good at it!

VickyBit

Sep 23, 2009
RaphaelsRedemption said:
Well... my hairdresser compared my last choice of hairstyle to Sonic, so maybe I'm halfway there already. Though I thought it was a little more JRPG, being a black and red mohawk...
So more like Shadow the Hedgehog then :V

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Ponchponcho said:
Do they provide the buckets of lead based adhesive you would need to keep in place longer than 5 seconds?
I'm going to say no. I feel sorry for that photographer, having only a split second to take the picture before the model's hair drops out completely.

I can imagine cosplayers everywhere squealing for joy though.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Cousin_IT said:
Really? I for one would like to see Russ Pitts try one of these, or more... maybe you guys at HQ could... persuade him to try it?

And on another note, I dare say cosplayers are going to be pretty damn happy with these...

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
John Funk said:
Cousin_IT said:
I'm glad this is the case - I assume your article picture is from your wild youth. I like to think you arrive to work in a Gundam as well.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
Susan Arendt said:
Straying Bullet said:
It doesn't surprise me that Susan is publicating this specific article. x].
Ok, I'll bite. Why?
The article involves Hair. Also JRPG's, something I affiliate with you for some unknown reason. Forgive me for the vague explaination. I suppose I am stereotyping that all girls are into hair? x].
Well, I certainly do enjoy JRPGs, though the hair has never been a big reason why. :)

I chose to share this because I thought it was hysterical and that y'all would get a kick out of it. Now if it was something about shoes, you'd be more in the ballpark of my personal slavish adherence to girlish stereotype. I really, really love shoes...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Publishers will frequently send supplementary material with a review copy of a game to better help us reviewers understand or appreciate the experience.
Has this ever included enclosed checks with "just think about this when you score the game" written on it?