Arcane - League of Legends

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
netflix didn't produce this show, at least not directly. This was all Riot as far as I know.
There’s a bit of a confusion as to what Netflix’s is when it comes to their original content. They merely act as distributes, or publishers for these shows. They don’t have any ownership for these shows for the most part.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I left kind of disappointed with the series as a whole. Act 3 is easily the weakest batch of episodes and doesn't live up to the promise of the first act and I blame it entirely on the script. There are a bunch of things that annoy me and i don't feel like getting to fine detail as to why so I will just list them.

-the reliance of Vi being kidnapped when the script needs a reason to move Vi to another location. It happens 3 fucking times, once is fine, two a coincidence, thrice it becomes bad screen writing.
-Vi gets sucker punched and does stupid stuff to the point where she looks like an idiot.
-Marcus just getting blown up feels like a wasted opportunity.
-Caitlyn surviving with minor wounds despite being in an explosion that pretty much killed everyone else.
-the weird music video when Ekko and Jinx fight just feels like it came out of no where and was rather corny.
-Vi leaving Ekko and Jinx on the bridge instead of staying feels weird and out of character.
-Jayce's arc feels incredibly rushed in this act.
-Jayce being able to go toe to toe with the chem suit guys despite being a scientist and having no combat training.
-The chem barons where pointless to the plot and could have been cut to focus on our characters better.
-I don't know why the cast someone who could barely speak English as Finn. It feels like they cast some Korean actor as a stunt cast, he is just terrible.
-I didn't end up finding jinx compelling at all even though this entire season hinges on her. Everyone says she is tragic but she is ultimately a rather cowardly character that would rather live in a world of delusion than take responsibility for anything.
-Heimerdinger's parts didn't really contribute much, but i guess it is to set up Ekko's chrono shift device. Ekko's VA was kind of bad.

Things I liked.
-Anything with the Madeara's was great, I like Mel's mom.
-Mel actually falling in love with Jayce and the city. I was expecting her to be a Noxian spy so her wanting to protect Piltover and Zaun from her homeland was neat.
-The unintentional comedic framing, when Sky is going to see Viktor and she says "everything you do inspires me", cut to Viktor naked in a dark room screaming in pain while holding the core. It made me laugh out loud.
-Silco was still amazing.
-Riot not Queer baiting with Caitlyn and Vi.
-Singed being a creepy doctor
-Vi and Ekko's reunion.
-Ekko's Firelight gang being made up of kids whose lives were ruined by Silco's actions.
-Jayce telling off the entire council.
Past Act 1 I kinda found both Vi and Jinx the least interesting characters, and I think that's what tripped me up about Act 2 and 3. The first act was mainly about investing the viewer in Violet and Powder, but then Act 2 and 3 just kind of turns them into cartoon characters. Which I know is ironic, but Act 1 Vi and Powder felt a lot more human.

I really quite hate Jinx's "quirky" insanity and how it's presented with artistic flourishes. Compare this to Powder's meltdown in Act 1, and how it isn't flashy or "cool" or artsy, it's sad and ugly. You know, like how mental problems and trauma actually are. Honestly, that scene at the end of Act 2 where Jinx lights the flare and we see the haunting memories of Mylo and Claggor strapped to her back I just fucking laughed. It was so dumb.

Ekko also felt wasted for such a seemingly prominent character. Mel's mother had a lot more weight and presence in the short time we see her near the end of the series. The final three episodes did make me like Sevika quite a bit though. I don't know exactly why, but she kind of got under my skin by the end, and I found myself liking her significantly more than I thought considering she was ultimately just a scowling henchmen.
I just never liked Powder/Jinx, I don't understand this obsession with making character failure at everything as a way of endearing themselves to the audience, especially after episode 3. I don't get why she's obsessed with using toy in fight rather than... really anything else (running for one).
She looks up to Vi, and Vi can fight. She also grew up in an environment where people need to fight to survive.

I don't get why Vi bother bringing her along on episode 1, forget the whole "bad luck" part, why bring an inexperienced kid to a really dangerous stunt, she's got nothing to contribute.
Again, they live in a harsh environment where Vi feels Powder needs to learn how to survive. Which in their case means stealing stuff they can sell.

Also, why didn't they just go back for the bag of loot they got, it feel in the water but no big deal. And why didn't they bother trying to sell the magic stone, could have at least justified part of the heist.
Apart from them not having scuba gear, the river is toxic. It's how Silco's eye got all messed up.

Reactions: Dansen

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Past Act 1 I kinda found both Vi and Jinx the least interesting characters, and I think that's what tripped me up about Act 2 and 3. The first act was mainly about investing the viewer in Violet and Powder, but then Act 2 and 3 just kind of turns them into cartoon characters. Which I know is ironic, but Act 1 Vi and Powder felt a lot more human.

I really quite hate Jinx's "quirky" insanity and how it's presented with artistic flourishes. Compare this to Powder's meltdown in Act 1, and how it isn't flashy or "cool" or artsy, it's sad and ugly. You know, like how mental problems and trauma actually are. Honestly, that scene at the end of Act 2 where Jinx lights the flare and we see the haunting memories of Mylo and Claggor strapped to her back I just fucking laughed. It was so dumb.

Ekko also felt wasted for such a seemingly prominent character. Mel's mother had a lot more weight and presence in the short time we see her near the end of the series. The final three episodes did make me like Sevika quite a bit though. I don't know exactly why, but she kind of got under my skin by the end, and I found myself liking her significantly more than I thought considering she was ultimately just a scowling henchmen.
Yeah, the series really starts to lose focus past the first act. The series starts to become too concerned with setting up stuff at the expense of the season's arc. It was like a marvel movie. The set ups just became more blatant and in your face with each act. I dread the day they introduce Seraphine, arguably the worst character Riot has ever made. She is literally a k-pop idol riding a DDR hoverboard , inserted into the setting because of market research and to fill out Riot's k-pop skin line. She is really out of place and most of the community dislikes her.

Jinx's portrayal is all over the place. Like is she supposed to be schizophrenic or have some other mental illness? Because the ending makes it look like her insanity is a deliberate choice. She chooses to be "insane" which is really twisted and cowardly as it is just a way to avoid responsibility and guilt. This would be a fine direction to take things for a villain if Jinx wasn't portrayed as tragic. When she starts murdering people of her own volition she loses any chance of redemption. Vi and Jinx have had their arcs well received for some reason. I wonder how different the reception to the character would be if she were male or ugly.

It also stuck out to me how Vander did not factor into Jinx's life at all in the next two acts. Like she didn't mourn him or feel guilty even though she saw his mutated corpse. Where was Vander's weird effigy in her hideout?

Sevika is really good as the muscle, people were saying she could be a new champion but given that she is not an anime wifu I don't think it will happen. Black/Indian?
women aren't too marketable.

I dunno it feels like the first act and the following two were directed by different people.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
She looks up to Vi, and Vi can fight. She also grew up in an environment where people need to fight to survive.

Again, they live in a harsh environment where Vi feels Powder needs to learn how to survive. Which in their case means stealing stuff they can sell.

Apart from them not having scuba gear, the river is toxic. It's how Silco's eye got all messed up.
I get why she want to fight, but why with toy that always fail?

Same, I get that Vi want Powder to grow up, but start with small things, not super dangerous ops that was expressively forbidden by their father figure.

Fair enough, but the show really didn't bother explaining the water toxicity.

Watched Episode 4 and... I'm considering not continuing.

Jayce present his new invention, and Heimerdinger, once again, says it's not ready but doesn't bother explaining why. Since he also didn't bother explaining why hextech was bad in arc 1, am I supposed to understand he's an idiot and should be ignored? If not, why not say what the problems are? Then he also says Jayce shouldn't present the tech at the speech.... why? Big event like that are the perfect occasion to present new prototype, you don't have to rush it to market, you just go "here's what we're working on, it'll be ready in 5-10 years but just wanted to give you a taste of the future".

Also I'm guessing the lab assistant is going to turn all evil because Jayce didn't push for the tech to be release, but really who care? They've just invented some sort of teleportation device, the new hextech crystal thing is so insignificant compared to that it would barely be a footnote. It'll like if someone invented train/railroad and after that came out with some new clothes iron. Also, how did Jynx know where to find it? There were 3 peoples in the whole world who know about it and I doubt any of them talked to her.

Why did Jayce say he wanted to stop using hextech stuff after it was stolen? How is that going to help? And how is giving Jayce a new seat on the council going to help him protect hextech, he's a scientist, not a cop. Sure give him a budget to fund better security or something, but that doesn't require political power.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Jinx's portrayal is all over the place. Like is she supposed to be schizophrenic or have some other mental illness? Because the ending makes it look like her insanity is a deliberate choice. She chooses to be "insane" which is really twisted and cowardly as it is just a way to avoid responsibility and guilt.
She didn't choose to be insane. She was simply broken by yet more misery dumped on her.

Vi and Jinx have had their arcs well received for some reason. I wonder how different the reception to the character would be if she were male or ugly.
If she were male, her arc would have an even better reception. If anything, female characters with arcs like these face bigger risks when it comes to getting audience sympathy on their side.

It also stuck out to me how Vander did not factor into Jinx's life at all in the next two acts. Like she didn't mourn him or feel guilty even though she saw his mutated corpse. Where was Vander's weird effigy in her hideout?
The effigies were of people who had been antagonistic to her in life. She didn't make one of him because she didn't hate him.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Because she wanted to prove that fighting her way would work. Besides, the toy did eventually work... in the wrong ways.

Same, I get that Vi want Powder to grow up, but start with small things, not super dangerous ops that was expressively forbidden by their father figure.
Which is pointed out by her two friends. The show isn't endorsing bringing Powder along on these ops and the whole thing bites Vi in the ass.

You saw the water didn't you? You only need to look at the stuff to realize it is toxic.
Watched Episode 4 and... I'm considering not continuing.

Jayce present his new invention, and Heimerdinger, once again, says it's not ready but doesn't bother explaining why. Since he also didn't bother explaining why hextech was bad in arc 1, am I supposed to understand he's an idiot and should be ignored? If not, why not say what the problems are? Then he also says Jayce shouldn't present the tech at the speech.... why? Big event like that are the perfect occasion to present new prototype, you don't have to rush it to market, you just go "here's what we're working on, it'll be ready in 5-10 years but just wanted to give you a taste of the future".
Heimerdinger does explain his position in a later episode.

Also I'm guessing the lab assistant is going to turn all evil because Jayce didn't push for the tech to be release, but really who care? They've just invented some sort of teleportation device, the new hextech crystal thing is so insignificant compared to that it would barely be a footnote. It'll like if someone invented train/railroad and after that came out with some new clothes iron.
The tech does more than teleport. It also
gives him the ability to walk

Also, how did Jynx know where to find it? There were 3 peoples in the whole world who know about it and I doubt any of them talked to her.
She'd been to Jayce's lab before all the way in the first episode.

Why did Jayce say he wanted to stop using hextech stuff after it was stolen? How is that going to help? And how is giving Jayce a new seat on the council going to help him protect hextech, he's a scientist, not a cop. Sure give him a budget to fund better security or something, but that doesn't require political power.
Jayce wanted to stop using it because he was afraid it was dangerous. And he wanted a seat on the council to have better control over how Hextech was used and part of it was Mel manipulating him.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jinx's portrayal is all over the place. Like is she supposed to be schizophrenic or have some other mental illness? Because the ending makes it look like her insanity is a deliberate choice. She chooses to be "insane" which is really twisted and cowardly as it is just a way to avoid responsibility and guilt. This would be a fine direction to take things for a villain if Jinx wasn't portrayed as tragic. When she starts murdering people of her own volition she loses any chance of redemption. Vi and Jinx have had their arcs well received for some reason. I wonder how different the reception to the character would be if she were male or ugly.
We never really get an idea of how she was raised by Silco either. In Act 1 we see that Vi, her older sister, is strong and they live in a world that greatly values strength and punishes weakness. Coupled with her abandonment issues and how the topside is breathing down their neck, we as the audience do the math and understand why Powder is so desperate to prove herself.

But with Silco I don't really see how she went from Powder to Harley Quinn Jinx. I understand that there's probably some arrested developement going on there, and how her mental state is depicted might make sense when you factor in how Silco could've pushed her to embrace this side of herself and how it's "beautiful". But I don't know, it feels very performative for the audience; The cool, dangerous, wacky, AND not to forget hot, girl.

Maybe Silco told her he died on his own accord, but it's probably the writers forgetting Powder never actually saw them die and just tying the trauma of their deaths specifically to her because WE as the audience know it was her fault.

She's just a kid. *shrugs* It also feels like Powder just doesn't have it in her to fight, but she's surrounded by violence and peers who encourage her to "find her strength". It's sorta the subversion of Episode 3; Where all this talk of finding one's inner strength to fight back doesn't result in the usual 'Yay kids, beating the adults', but in utter tragedy since a child should never have been put in a situation like that.

That's Vi character flaw. It's a running thing in Act 1. Vi is the typical tough girl, but throughout those first three episodes you see that no matter how strong a fighter she is, or how gutsy she might be, she's pretty powerless against the establishment. This comes back again at the end of Episode 3 where she realizes her actions and rhetoric are partially to blame for Powder's actions.

It didn't, but even without that throwing something in a significatly deep canal the chances of recovering it are extremely slim. We've been kinda trained by movies, cartoons, and videogames that diving into giant, murky depths is something the characters just do, I guess.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
After finishing this series, I hope everyone who's interested in animated series gives it a watch. You don't need to play the game or even know the lore. I'm probably speaking from a biased perspective since I've always been one of the fanboys begging riot to make a series because of all their beautifully-made cinematics–and now that it's here I couldn't be happier. They've really transcended their creativity and storytelling with this series. As someone with a twisted family background–the scenes with Vi and Jinx really hit home. I love this with my whole heart. Can't wait for 2023 to come around for the next season.