Archer Season 6 Review: Sploosh

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Archer Season 6 Review: Sploosh

Archer Season 6 brings back the best parts of its spy parody roots - while still letting us laugh at the stuff that was stale.

Read Full Article

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Please don't go back to Vice. Anything but Vice.
It is strange, I didn't really like this season as much as two and three. But then I went back to those and found those lacking as well.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
EHKOS said:
It is strange, I didn't really like this season as much as two and three. But then I went back to those and found those lacking as well.
Given how it ended I don't think they're going back to Vice. My money's on them continuing to be in the spy game, but as fully independents who are rogue and under the radar. Hell, I think the new season will start with them screwing over the CIA.

On a side note though, is Woodhouse dead? Because he was missing for, like, the whole season, and they didn't have a part where his body was found or anything.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What a terrific show. I've loved every season so far including this one. Great review: you did nail it. It is just hilarious fun.

Quibble: I love Kreiger but the last few episodes had him acting a bit odd.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Zontar said:
EHKOS said:
Given how it ended I don't think they're going back to Vice. My money's on them continuing to be in the spy game, but as fully independents who are rogue and under the radar. Hell, I think the new season will start with them screwing over the CIA.

On a side note though, is Woodhouse dead? Because he was missing for, like, the whole season, and they didn't have a part where his body was found or anything.
Woodhouse has been confirmed by the creators to be alive, and is said to have a bigger part in season 7

I liked this season, and liked the return to the earlier roots. I didn't mind vice, but I wasn't laughing nearly as much then as I was now. The writing and delivery was much better this season, and it was nice to see significant character growth over one season instead of 3.
Gorfias said:
What a terrific show. I've loved every season so far including this one. Great review: you did nail it. It is just hilarious fun.

Maybe he's not really Krieger, but instead one of the Krieger clones from Vice?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
F-I-D-O said:
Zontar said:
EHKOS said:

Woodhouse has been confirmed by the creators to be alive, and is said to have a bigger part in season 7

I liked this season, and liked the return to the earlier roots. I didn't mind vice, but I wasn't laughing nearly as much then as I was now. The writing and delivery was much better this season, and it was nice to see significant character growth over one season instead of 3.
Gorfias said:

I wonder if the Woodhouse thing was like what happened in the season...was it three's intro where Pam inexplicably went to Jamaica. Because that still bugs me. I know the episode must have cut, but I wish we could see a storyboard or something.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
OK, I gotta ask, what does people have against Archer Vice? I thought it was great. Hell, it was (in my opinion) probably the best season of Archer. Do people hate it just because they weren't spies anymore?

As for what they will be doing next season... mercenaries?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Trucken said:
OK, I gotta ask, what does people have against Archer Vice? I thought it was great. Hell, it was (in my opinion) probably the best season of Archer. Do people hate it just because they weren't spies anymore?

Maybe they just something against OUTLAW COUNTRY!!!!!!! and cocaine.

Although the Kenny Loggin's episode was pretty terrible.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Trucken said:

Maybe they just something against OUTLAW COUNTRY!!!!!!! and cocaine.

Although the Kenny Loggin's episode was pretty terrible.
... I loved that episode...

Captcha: propane accessories. Do love King of the Hill.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
F-I-D-O said:
Gorfias said:
Ah hah! That would explain everything! I hope for a great showdown between the two. Probably end with the real Krieger adopting his clone. And his favorite glowing test pig.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Trucken said:

I've no idea what the deal was with Vice either. It's not something that'd stay fresh for more than a season, but I found the whole "trying to sell a tonne of cocaine" plot device to keep the season coherent, while everything else went so far off the rails it explored hyperspace.

+1 on the mercenaries guess. ISIS working for the highest bidder is a potential comedy gold mine.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The one thing I'll say about this episode is the animation was top-notch.

Like, really really really good.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Gorfias said:
F-I-D-O said:
Gorfias said:
Ah hah! That would explain everything! I hope for a great showdown between the two. Probably end with the real Krieger adopting his clone. And his favorite glowing test pig.
I don't think it is Krieger. Remember when he said "Someone Archer cares about more than Lana" and everyone except Krieger (who had put her back together himself for Archer and his own pervesions) knew who she was.

Abomination said:
The one thing I'll say about this episode is the animation was top-notch.

Like, really really really good.
This entire season has greatly improved all the animations, from the shagging to the fighting. Super impressed by it.
Trucken said:

The problem with Vice was that it felt like they didn't know what they wanted. While they may have had an overaching plot (sell cocaine), it just kept falling flat. The Cherleen(?) stuff just wasn't very well written, the character became massive caricatures of themselves, the drugs thing just felt cheap, the constant CIA checking them felt cheap, they ran out of good drug jokes about 5 episodes in, and despite having a fresh new perspective, the whole show felt tired and drawn out, even with several filler episodes they couldn't think of enough good material to make the rest interesting.

Compare it to this season, where they explored Archer and Lana's growth, where they really pushed the boundaries on their animation, where the writing was sharp and crisp (hell, they managed to create an entire episode set in a stuck elevator, the writing was strong enough to support what was effectively 20 minutes of just talking and arguing).

If anything, the fact they returned to the spies simply meant they could return to an area where they had experience crafting good plots and characterisation, as well as the fact they left Vice because they had already grown bored and wanted to go back to spies. Finally, the humour works so well because of the juxtaposition between an ordinary, boring work/office and the fantastical adventures of a spy being presented in such a way, as well as the juxtaposition between spy films and the reality that most people are arseholes, and that someone like James Bond would ACTUALLY be like Archer.

Not only is it fresh, but they've finally pulled the plug on some tired and bad jokes; Barry, Katya, Cyrel and Lana, Archer not being with Lana, the CIA are dickheads. They've opened up new areas to explore, they don't have to be tied down to the previous series, and maybe this time they'll have a firmer idea of where to go rather than "Drugs, Miami Vice, amirite?"

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
I actually kind of liked Archer Vice. I know it was dumb, but it was a nice break before getting back into the spy game.

I miss Kreiger though

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
L. Declis said:
I don't think it is Krieger. Remember when he said "Someone Archer cares about more than Lana" and everyone except Krieger (who had put her back together himself for Archer and his own perversions) knew who she was.
Actually *shame face* do not. Do you have a season, episode, minute mark, any of this? I want to re-watch it! And you talking about the cyborg, not Lana in this instance?

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Am I the only person who hated Sitting with a passion? It felt like borderline character assassination for Lana. Her doing something incredibly assholish to Archer as vengeance for everything he's done? Stretching things but okay I could go with it. But, doing it in such a way that it GREATLY imperils her own child!? It seems completely at odds with everything she's been portrayed as. Especially given she didn't even say anything, much less instantly bludgeon to death, the actor when he he admitted he was using a real gun. And then throughout the whole season she has the gall to accuse Archer of being a reckless parent after she pulled that...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Trucken said:

Literally (and I am using the proper use of the word "literally") the same joke through out the same episode/episodes, not evolution of the same jokes but outright repeating the same thing.

Nothing really came back to bite them as most episodes, be it a joke or a situation, usually stuff that happens in Archer has a bigger payoff latter on the episode.

Weird, aimless structure.

Those are enough reasons for me, this season was one of the bests, lets see if they can keep it up.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Gorfias said:
L. Declis said:
I don't think it is Krieger. Remember when he said "Someone Archer cares about more than Lana" and everyone except Krieger (who had put her back together himself for Archer and his own perversions) knew who she was.
Actually *shame face* do not. Do you have a season, episode, minute mark, any of this? I want to re-watch it! And you talking about the cyborg, not Lana in this instance?
It's the episode after they fuck in the mansion, and Archer is going to make Stirfriday for Lana, so the gang gets the cyborg back to seduce Archer. It's before the Welsh episode.

There are a couple of other moments where Krieger doesn't know things he should know, and it's played off as "Oh, Krieger" but are explained by this.

MoltenSilver said:
Am I the only person who hated Sitting with a passion? It felt like borderline character assassination for Lana. Her doing something incredibly assholish to Archer as vengeance for everything he's done? Stretching things but okay I could go with it. But, doing it in such a way that it GREATLY imperils her own child!? It seems completely at odds with everything she's been portrayed as. Especially given she didn't even say anything, much less instantly bludgeon to death, the actor when he he admitted he was using a real gun. And then throughout the whole season she has the gall to accuse Archer of being a reckless parent after she pulled that...
I agree.

Personally, I think they should have kept it as Archer actually did accidentally give his baby for a Pakistani double agent rather than the deus ex ass pull they choose.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
L. Declis said:
Gorfias said:
L. Declis said:
It's the episode after they fuck in the mansion, and Archer is going to make Stirfriday for Lana, so the gang gets the cyborg back to seduce Archer. It's before the Welsh episode.

There are a couple of other moments where Krieger doesn't know things he should know, and it's played off as "Oh, Krieger" but are explained by this.
Actually the joke might be a bit different though.
There are instances where Krieger doesn't know something he should, like the one you mentioned, but there are also instances that only make sense in context of the original ISIS Krieger like in this episode with "Oh and if I was Hitler's clone, wouldn't I look like Hitler?!"
To me it kinda looks like the original and at least one of the clones survived and they're taking turns being Krieger.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
MoltenSilver said:
That was weird at the end, to what was until that point a good episode. Archer shows growth as a person and interest in being a parent to AJ, and it's the one where he shouts "Pam! Baby!" and rallies the whole no-longer-calling-themselves-ISIS crew to her defense. I liked how he talked to AJ at his apartment while fixing himself a Black Mexican (Tequila + coffee liqueur): "[garbled baby sounds]" "What? No, it's not racist."