Architects Choose Top Ten Videogame (Architectural) Worlds

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Architects Choose Top Ten Videogame (Architectural) Worlds



Architectural publication (for architects, natch) The Architects' Journal has chosen what it deems the ten best architectural worlds in videogames [http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/the-critics/top-10-the-architecture-of-computer-games-part-i/5203763.article], and... not all of them are what you'd expect.

Now, it stands to reason that people who are in a certain field for a living tend to look at their respective interests in a rather different manner than those not "in the biz," so to speak. I know that personally, I've started viewing these games we all love in a different light than I did before I made them my job.

Nevertheless, I can't help but feel that some of the choices in The Architects' Journal's "Top 10: The Architecture of Videogames" list are ... slightly perplexing. All right, so. #10 is the world of the Mario Bros. Odd, perhaps, but we'll give it to them based on how it "takes the layering of patterned facades in bright colours (sp) to another level." Fine, okay. I can go with that.

#9? Castle Wolfenstein. Okay, sure, they give credit where credit is due - to design a castle with a constant swastika motif probably earns some respect points in their architectural books. #8, on the other hand, is the world of Tetris.

Wait, what? Tetris?

[blockquote]Tetris can teach us all a lesson in dimensional co-ordination and rotational symetry. Featuring just seven standard building components as the basis for construction, it takes a radical approach to reducing waste material. Tetris has an aesthetic charm too: its combinations of solid and void have proved inspirational for a range of architects including Slovenian architecture studio, OFIS [http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e297/ilhamsaibi/architecture/TetrisApartmentsOFISarhitekti2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://architecture.gapuak.net/tag/ana-kosi/&usg=__OKTm0m6hkz1MlmR_xTx38isBtDA=&h=1027&w=1100&sz=305&hl=en&start=19&um=1&tbnid=bVTysUxmUv2AfM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtetris%2Bfacade%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1].[/blockquote]

Like I said, they're looking at it from a different perspective. It's an interesting list, and there are some more oddities, though I certainly can't disagree with their #1.

It seems that where the schools of architecture and gaming overlap lies puzzlement indeed.

Permalink
 

Erana

New member
Feb 28, 2008
8,010
0
0
If Halo's not on the list, I'm leaving.
I mean, when else are you going to see a hulking deathmachine space ship in lovely shades of lavendar?
 

xHipaboo420x

New member
Apr 22, 2009
1,592
0
0
http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/the-critics/top-10-the-architecture-of-computer-games-part-i/5203763.article

That's it I think. It's going a bit slow, but that might just be for me
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Seems the direct link isn't connecting. Something must be wrong with the Architects' Journal website. I'd like to give you a direct link but only the google cache is working.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:6njjbXeaabUJ:www.architectsjournal.co.uk/the-critics/top-10-the-architecture-of-computer-games-part-i/5203763.article+Top+10:+The+Architecture+of+Videogames&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
 

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
782
0
0
Erana said:
If Halo's not on the list, I'm leaving.
I mean, when else are you going to see a hulking deathmachine space ship in lovely shades of lavendar?
Halo 1 and 2 are on there, place 4.

So anyway, I just bet a beer on WoW being place 1, and I was right. How tiresomely predictable.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
D'oh. HTML fixed, the link should be there now.

Rhayn said:
Erana said:
If Halo's not on the list, I'm leaving.
I mean, when else are you going to see a hulking deathmachine space ship in lovely shades of lavendar?
Halo 1 and 2 are on there, place 4.

So anyway, I just bet a beer on WoW being place 1, and I was right. How tiresomely predictable.
And yet not undeserved.
 

TheDoomThing

New member
Jun 24, 2009
48
0
0
This is what happens when people that aren't gamers or have any experience playing current-gen games try to make a Top Ten of video games. It just doesn't work that well. It seems these guys only know older games.
Also...Tetris? What the heck?

Red Faction: Guerilla should be on there, if only because most any building you see can be deconstructed in just a few minutes. With a sledge-hammer.

EDIT: Oops, too late. But now that I read it, I find it to be incredibly small-ranged. It's pretty much only games that are pretty mainstream. No indie games to speak of, or anything that off the beaten trail.
 

JRCB

New member
Jan 11, 2009
4,387
0
0
TheDoomThing said:
This is what happens when people that aren't gamers or have any experience playing current-gen games try to make a Top Ten of video games. It just doesn't work that well. It seems these guys only know older games.
Also...Tetris? What the heck?

Red Faction: Guerilla should be on there, if only because most any building you see can be deconstructed in just a few minutes. With a sledge-hammer.

EDIT: Oops, too late.
Yeah, but the world in that game is rather blandish.

I thought many of those deserved to be on the list. Didn't even think that the number one spot would be on there.
 

Eldritch Warlord

New member
Jun 6, 2008
2,901
0
0
Erana said:
If Halo's not on the list, I'm leaving.
I mean, when else are you going to see a hulking deathmachine space ship in lovely shades of lavendar?
They seemed more impressed by the Mombasan architecture than the Covenant's flavor of Cosmic Naval Architecture.

I'm actually rather surprised it wasn't the exaggerated angular designs favored by the Forerunners that got Halo on the list, but I'm no architect (engineer actually, guess that explains things).
 

bodyklok

New member
Feb 17, 2008
2,936
0
0
Well I would probably add a few buildings like 'The Citadel' from HL2, and maybe one of the temples form any of the God Of War games.
 

NeutralDrow

New member
Mar 23, 2009
9,097
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
D'oh. HTML fixed, the link should be there now.

Rhayn said:
Erana said:
If Halo's not on the list, I'm leaving.
I mean, when else are you going to see a hulking deathmachine space ship in lovely shades of lavendar?
Halo 1 and 2 are on there, place 4.

So anyway, I just bet a beer on WoW being place 1, and I was right. How tiresomely predictable.
And yet not undeserved.
Definitely. I had to smack myself for not guessing ahead of time, considering how much I like hanging around Ironforge and Orgrimmar just for the sights.

Kinda surprised Oni isn't on that list...or would a game with buildings directly designed by architects not count?
 

MasterSqueak

New member
May 10, 2009
2,525
0
0
bodyklok said:
Well I would probably add a few buildings like 'The Citadel' from HL2, and maybe one of the temples form any of the God Of War games.
The Citadel is a giant tower.

Awesome.

I would have added the Death Star as well.
 

sheic99

New member
Oct 15, 2008
2,316
0
0
NeutralDrow said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
D'oh. HTML fixed, the link should be there now.

Rhayn said:
Erana said:
If Halo's not on the list, I'm leaving.
I mean, when else are you going to see a hulking deathmachine space ship in lovely shades of lavendar?
Halo 1 and 2 are on there, place 4.

So anyway, I just bet a beer on WoW being place 1, and I was right. How tiresomely predictable.
And yet not undeserved.
Definitely. I had to smack myself for not guessing ahead of time, considering how much I like hanging around Ironforge and Orgrimmar just for the sights.

Kinda surprised Oni isn't on that list...or would a game with buildings directly designed by architects not count?
Well Sim City is there, so it must count.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Tetris is an interesting pick for sure, though I can certainly see why it would appeal to architectural types.