Architects Choose Top Ten Videogame (Architectural) Worlds

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
And yet not undeserved.
Oh, I don't question that. The architecture in WoW is nothing short of fantastic.

However, I find it amusing that WoW just gets first place in almost everything these days, thus making it so predictable. Deserved, no doubt, but it brings a smile to my face at night that one game can be so praised.

I'd write something more interesting, but I'm way too tired for that.

Ps, typing this while looking out over Dalaran from the Violet Parlor.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Seems like some publicity stunt by the magazine to get readers. Their choices and reasons don't seem that well thaught out. The whole article is geared to spark fan boy debate.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
The entire list is just taking games that were/are popular and commenting about the architecture found in the game.

Mario 3? Architecture? Really?

Mombasa? Really?

Sim City? Really?

Liberty City? SERIOUS?

Scumm Bar?

Every one of these is just a grab to get your attention, spark fanboy debate, and to get more readers.

Also, Azeroth? Really?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/c/cd/Crossroads.jpg

Yeah, that's some real spanky architecture there chief.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
That would hardly be my list... To each their own I guess.

The only ones from that list that would probably make it to mine, in no particular spot, would be Halo and World of Warcraft.

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Credge said:
The entire list is just taking games that were/are popular and commenting about the architecture found in the game.

Mario 3? Architecture? Really?

Mombasa? Really?

Sim City? Really?

Liberty City? SERIOUS?

Scumm Bar?

Every one of these is just a grab to get your attention, spark fanboy debate, and to get more readers.

Also, Azeroth? Really?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/c/cd/Crossroads.jpg

Yeah, that's some real spanky architecture there chief.
Well, consider that that's just one race, and they've gone out of their way to give all of them stylistically unique architecture. Dalaran, Shattrath, Orgrimmar, IF, Silvermoon - all very varied, all immediately recognizable, and all in keeping with the culture and lore of the race.

Unusual_Bulge

May 30, 2008
I seem to recall the world of Nosgoth (Legacy of Kain series) receiving an awful lot of praise at the time for its architecture. It's probably a little unknown to appear on a list like this though.

Feb 13, 2008
Slightly disappointed in this. No Tomb Raider caverns? No Spidey Manhattan? No Tropico? No Godfather 2? No Paradroid?

And not even mentioning Everquest's Elven Tree Village? Shame on you. REAL shame.

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
I think the gears of war world should of been on the list, it has some pretty over the top and creative buildings

but to each their own I guess

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
I was thinking that WOW would be the #1 it's got great diversity in the architecture distinct for each races, from blood elves to humans to gnomes

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Erana said:
If Halo's not on the list, I'm leaving.
I mean, when else are you going to see a hulking deathmachine space ship in lovely shades of lavendar?
Yeah they put in the halo games, I saw the list. Halo is number 4.

Cortheya said:
I was thinking that WOW would be the #1 it's got great diversity in the architecture distinct for each races, from blood elves to humans to gnomes
WoW's on the list as well, as number 1.

Other than that, it was mostly old, cartoony 2D games like Escape from monkey island...

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Got to love Dalaran, even if it lags like hell and doesn't have much good except for a toy shop and some first class sewers for lurking in.

I demand Combine Citadels thoug!
Where's the love for our destined Overlords?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
That list seems... Arbitrary at best. Ever single game seems to be picked on different criteria. Wow however, needs a better screenshot.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
"...nature is expressed in stylised form - the very essence of Art Nouveau."

Isn't that one of the main criteria in Rococo?

And where is 'The Cradle' of Thief 3?