Are adult Japanese gamers stigmatized?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The Japanese... have issues. I mean, all cultures do, but I can't help but feel that the underlying matter of pressure to behave responsibility and maturely is really exacerbated here when video games are evolving into a continually more sophisticated experience while the perception of them is not.

I'd take a little detour in your paper to talk about the idea of "adult" in Japan in general, and look at other behaviors and such that one is expected to "grow out of" in Japan.

Homosexuality is the first thing that comes to mind for me, (you can have little les crushes and flings as a kid, but you gotta grow up and be a wifie for a man when you're an adult) but I can totally see that being too far off topic for your paper. :p

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Erana said:
The Japanese... have issues. I mean, all cultures do, but I can't help but feel that the underlying matter of pressure to behave responsibility and maturely is really exacerbated here when video games are evolving into a continually more sophisticated experience while the perception of them is not.

I'd take a little detour in your paper to talk about the idea of "adult" in Japan in general, and look at other behaviors and such that one is expected to "grow out of" in Japan.

Homosexuality is the first thing that comes to mind for me, (you can have little les crushes and flings as a kid, but you gotta grow up and be a wifie for a man when you're an adult) but I can totally see that being too far off topic for your paper. :p
Oh hey, I remember you from my topic I made when I started this paper.

Their declining birth rate is proof enough that they have issues. There are multiple cultural expectations that are doing the Japanese game industry harm, like their expectation to obey authority at all costs - this is an issue Miyamoto and Inafune have both spoken out against. Discussing their cultural expectations is something I'm going to have to do anyway, so reading more into it won't hurt. And it'll pad my paper out. So thanks.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I have a question for anyone who knows. It's stupid but...well here goes.

I assume that game programming is done in C. Do Japanese developers program in English or is the dev studio in Japanese?

As for this topic, so many Japanese games look like cartoons, it's no wonder they are seen as toys for children.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Karutomaru said:
Who cares? Sales mean nothing. And it's current state? You mean the current state of absolute superiority over western games?
Japan has had a good reputation this generation. Western companies.... Not so much.
What the... I don't... wuh... buh... you...

I gotta get outta here.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Yvl9921 said:
Erana said:

Oh hey, I remember you from my topic I made when I started this paper.

Their declining birth rate is proof enough that they have issues. There are multiple cultural expectations that are doing the Japanese game industry harm, like their expectation to obey authority at all costs - this is an issue Miyamoto and Inafune have both spoken out against. Discussing their cultural expectations is something I'm going to have to do anyway, so reading more into it won't hurt. And it'll pad my paper out. So thanks.
I remember that thread, too, and it sounds like you're putting a lot of good thought into the paper. :)

I don't know how well informed your audience is, but if you need to really hammer home the overwhelming social brow beating, mentioning the rising occurence of Japanese businessmen following their schedule of being out of the home from however long their workday is to hide their having lost their job from their families is always a pretty potent one.

Sadly, I can't come up with any resources specifically on that topic. :/

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think its very cultural, I mean a man who is a man is expected to spend his time working to support his family, not doing things he enjoys, that is why there is such a market for nostalgia, since they have no release once they "grow up"

II2

Mar 13, 2010
I don't know with any authority. I would speculate, given collections of first hand accounts of friends who have lived in Japan:

For all the perceived 'zaniness', Japan is actually a very streamlined monoculture. This is not absolute, but it's collective tolerance for deviation and things associated with 'youthful behavior' are much less forgiving than in the west. Expectations of conformity, particularly post student years going into your 20's and 30's are very strong, with unspoken assumptions that even characters like flamboyant visual kei rockers will get married and have a normal home life.

Being an otaku is still a derogatory term that has never really seen the reclamation of 'geek' or 'nerd' western language has witnessed. I'd imagine from that, people who are seen to game beyond the bell curve are derided for it.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Karutomaru said:
I never troll. A good game company cares about gaming and the gamers that play the games.
Wrong, most big games are made by big gaming companies, like Nintendo, and all they care about is money. They may have the foresight to take decent care of their customers to build brand loyalty, but in the end it is still about making money, that how all companies work, and publicly owned companies, like Nintendo, are required to act that way by the law.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Karutomaru said:
Money is just a side benefit. The true point is to make the customer happy.
Poe's Law. On one hand, pretty absurd statement. On the other hand, this is what some people actually believe.