Are Explosions Art? Check Out The Just Cause 3 Trailer

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Are Explosions Art? Check Out The Just Cause 3 Trailer

Just Cause 3 takes a tastefully artistic route for Avalanche Studios' "Firestarter" trailer.

Just Cause might not be the first thing that comes to mind when we think of sandbox games, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1632-Just-Cause-2>but it is arguably one of the most fun. Between it's action-packed gameplay, insane explosions, and the ability to hookshot any moving vehicle (including aircraft), Just Cause 2 quickly became a fan-favorite game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118741-Just-Cause-2-Still-Going-Strong>that's still actively played today. Naturally, that sets a high bar for Just Cause 3, which is due to launch later this year. That's why Avalanche Studios released a new trailer, and while there's no gameplay to speak of its message is clear: Sometimes, explosions can be art.

The Just Cause series follows Rico Rodriguez, a CIA operative who infiltrates hostile dictatorships and destabilizes them single-handedly. It's a premise that glosses over the darker historical implications to present the ideal video game sandbox - an island where you're literally encouraged to sow chaos wherever you go. Players can complete quests to support various anti-government factions, or just ignore the story and go on a cathartic rampage.

Just Cause 3 is set in the fictional Mediterranean island of Medici, where Rico hopes to depose the brutal dictator General Di Ravello. But this trailer isn't interested in dissecting a plot - instead you'll watch a variety of slow-motion explosions tear Medici's infrastructure as Ravello's posters and statues burn. Eventually, the view pans back to reveal it's happening within Rico's mind as he skydives into the country.

It's a slightly more artistic approach than you might expect: Imagine a Just Cause 3 TV show with <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXRkqXfhYM>a True Detective-styled intro, and it would probably look like this. But it's a nice way to get excited for the finished game, which is expected to launch in the "Holiday 2015" release window.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
More of a teaser than a trailer, no? Oh well, I am hyped for this game anyhow.

cojo965 said:
Get me the link to the song in that trailer NOW! I MUST HEAR IT!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Took a second to realise its a cover of The Prodigy song Firestarter. I prefer the original but thats a great cover. Love it. :) Looking forward to Just Cause 3, at the moment im replaying JC2.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
What happened to Mad Max though? I remember Avalanche was all like "Yo guys were making a Mad Max game! So awesome!!1!!"

Now its like "JUST CAUSE 3 GUYS!!!!"

"But what about Mad Ma-"
"JUST"
"But-"
"JUST CAUSE"
"B-"
"JUST CAUSE 3"

The game looks bananas though, loved the second one to bits so this is going to be great.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Is it just me or does this teaser make Rico look psychotic or incredibly damaged?

Anyhow...cant wait to play!

*Wingsuits for all!*

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
My one real complaint is that rico looks so grumpy at the end. He's not wolverine; he can show some excitement at the prospect of reaping chaos in the place he is sky-diving towards. I'm excited for it, so why isn't he?

That intro made me think of James Bond: all it really lacked to be complete were silhouettes of naked women dancing in the background.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Is it just me or does this teaser make Rico look psychotic or incredibly damaged?

*Wingsuits for all!*
flying_whimsy said:
My one real complaint is that rico looks so grumpy at the end. He's not wolverine; he can show some excitement at the prospect of reaping chaos in the place he is sky-diving towards. I'm excited for it, so why isn't he?

That intro made me think of James Bond: all it really lacked to be complete were silhouettes of naked women dancing in the background.
He's not upset - that's just wind shear on his face.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Fanghawk said:
Maybe he's not smiling so he doesn't get bugs in his teeth. Someone needs to buy that man some goggles.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
When did he ever smile? I only ever played part of the second game, but from that he just seems like the regular bland, frowny-face guy.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Fanghawk said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

*Wingsuits for all!*
flying_whimsy said:

I don't know... If I was skydiving with a wingsuit I'd be grinning like a maniac.

Maybe he's upset because he now has to wear a wingsuit; in Just Cause 2 he could almost fly as well without it. But then again, more control is always good while skydiving/base jumping.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Oh man, so hype. Great cover and I hope they can keep a similar formula + space time & wizard grappling gun mechanics.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
This feels like they took equal parts Bond intro, True Detective opening credits and the "Mad World" trailer for Gears of War and stewed them in a big pot until cooked to perfection. Delicious.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Abomination said:
Oh man, so hype. Great cover and I hope they can keep a similar formula + space time & wizard grappling gun mechanics.
From what I saw in an earlier still shot, it seemed like they even adopted the multi-hook mod into the game.

Because gas canister rocket riding is just more fun if you have some company!

Captcha: Yes definitely

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
It's happening! It's finally happening!

Don't screw this up and you'll be swimming in money, Avalanche.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
A cinematic trailer for Just Cause is kind of missing the entire point of what makes Just Cause fun.

But on the plus side, wing suit. I'd say that makes it something other than a complete waste of time, but that's not really true since they could have just said, "Just Cause 3. Wing suit," and I'd be just as excited.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
ever since the first Just Cause, i've been a huge fan. i don't know why the game never got the recognition it deserved. but i have a feeling with the two recent Far Cry successes out in the wild, along with GTA's unparalleled success, i think the market has been primed perfectly for this game to land and land hard. the only problem i forsee is the release window. holiday 2015... yeah, good luck getting me to turn of Battlefront 3. or go to work. or eat. or sleep...

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
That cover of Prodigy was... Interesting but since he can fly now can we still defy physics and hook the ground to safety? :p

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
From interviews I read back in December the developers described Just Cause 2 as 90% silly and 10% serious and JC3 as 75-80% silly and 25-20% serious. The reasoning is that this is his home island where he was born and grew up so it is personal.&#65279; At least there is some justification for being Mr. Grumpygills.