Are Men Allowed To Be Offended?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Strazdas said:
Not disagreeing with your general context or anything but the studies done in compliment shown a high disparity between type of games females and males play. Makes were much more (as in, 80%+) into the regular AAA genres, shooters, action, horror, ect. Females however completely dominated puzzle games and casual gaming. So while there may be 45% female gamers out there, most of them do not play the games people are talking about in such discussions.
Ah, fair enough. I did suspect that could account for a part of it.

Still, the fact that such games are marketed at males may explain it, but it doesn't make it all okay.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I realy like the this lady arguments.

One thing about male sexualization. The attractiveness of a guy, while not disconected with appearance, is very connected with strenght and power. It doesn't work in the EXACT same way as females.

Banzaiman

Jun 7, 2013
Just came in to reiterate a point that's been made quite a few times: if it were a man calling all the women in the workplace 'vagina' then he'd be essentially burnt at the stake. Might be true that white heterosexual males have it 'easier' (in general) than any other demographic, but that doesn't make it okay to jerk them around. When someone shoves you around, it doesn't make you a better person when you shove them back, which is definitely the mentality with a lot of people who think this kind of thing is okay.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
The Wooster said:
As for your main question, can men get offended? Of course they can, they're very good at it. In my experience heterosexual white males are the easiest group to offend.
That's funny. My experience suggests the complete opposite. Do we cancel each other out or do we need to arrange for some kind of a showdown? This here website ain't big enough for the both of us.
I think its more Mr. Carter goes out of his way to take petty pot shots at white males. So I'd say he's more likely to see white males upset with him. I'd also say by the nature of his previous statements attacking white males, that he would more likely to see the offense of other groups as less frivolous then that of white males. Perhaps there is some middle ground here, that I hope you and Mr. Carter can see. I certainly think there is one. Still, as an internet personality, it behooves Mr. Carter to play his roll and tow the party line that he belongs to, to whatever degree necessary and despite the possibility of direct evidence to the contrary. Let me clear about that last sentence. That in no way is a criticism of Mr. Carter himself, but an observation about how most online communities tend to function. I suppose it's the nature of how super connected various ideas are online, and when a community forms around them, they tend to become incredibly insulated from outside sources criticism. It's frustrating, and can sometimes be incredibly toxic, but taking it for what it is and moving on to another source of information, I think creates a better view on anyone subject or position.

Apr 24, 2008
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
The Wooster said:
As for your main question, can men get offended? Of course they can, they're very good at it. In my experience heterosexual white males are the easiest group to offend.
That's funny. My experience suggests the complete opposite. Do we cancel each other out or do we need to arrange for some kind of a showdown? This here website ain't big enough for the both of us.
I think its more Mr. Carter goes out of his way to take petty pot shots at white males. So I'd say he's more likely to see white males upset with him. I'd also say by the nature of his previous statements attacking white males, that he would more likely to see the offense of other groups as less frivolous then that of white males. Perhaps there is some middle ground here, that I hope you and Mr. Carter can see. I certainly think there is one. Still, as an internet personality, it behooves Mr. Carter to play his roll and tow the party line that he belongs to, to whatever degree necessary and despite the possibility of direct evidence to the contrary. Let me clear about that last sentence. That in no way is a criticism of Mr. Carter himself, but an observation about how most online communities tend to function. I suppose it's the nature of how super connected various ideas are online, and when a community forms around them, they tend to become incredibly insulated from outside sources criticism. It's frustrating, and can sometimes be incredibly toxic, but taking it for what it is and moving on to another source of information, I think creates a better view on anyone subject or position.
I wasn't being unreasonable, I was gonna let him choose the weapons and everything.

I was being light-hearted anyway, as I'm sure there are a great many reasons why we'd see it differently. I don't think we even live in the same country for one. You make some good points, I'm also I'm not sure that internet communities are an accurate reflection of anything.

The opinion I have, right or wrong, is based on my experiences in the real world, the face to face world. I take the internet with massively unhealthy doses of salt. My doctor says my blood pressure is through the roof.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Silvanus said:
Strazdas said:
Not disagreeing with your general context or anything but the studies done in compliment shown a high disparity between type of games females and males play. Makes were much more (as in, 80%+) into the regular AAA genres, shooters, action, horror, ect. Females however completely dominated puzzle games and casual gaming. So while there may be 45% female gamers out there, most of them do not play the games people are talking about in such discussions.
Ah, fair enough. I did suspect that could account for a part of it.

Still, the fact that such games are marketed at males may explain it, but it doesn't make it all okay.
Never said it was ok, and i agree with your arguments agaisnt it, just wanted to bring more information to the table that may help explain the bahaviuor.

glider4

Mar 27, 2012
CFriis87 said:
glider4 said:
Because Archie Comics really needed more Drama apparently. Seems like a stupid thing to sue over honestly but That CEO. Wow What a horrible person he must be. Seriously I should probably just kill myself for being a middle class white person because according to society that makes everything my fault and makes me the devil. Seriously "You don't get protection because of your skin colour and race." what a scumbag
I believe you mean she, not he... the scumbag CEO is a woman... by the biological definition of the word.
Thank you for correcting me. Though it honestly doesn't make a difference.