Are sequels ever really worse than the originals?

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Jezzascmezza said:
Crackdown 2 wasn't as good as Crackdown 1.
Going by reviews, I think I'd agree with you there. Going from 3 villain groups to 1 doesn't seem like an improvement at all. Haven't played either though.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Twisted Metal 4<TM3<TM1<TM2

Oh and FF4<ff5< ..... that part's sorta flamebait, but I'm just saying there's definitely a progression of awesomeness that transcends numbers for certain series. I'm not saying OP is wrong, I'm saying it's not always the way you say it is.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
Well I disagree that you had to phone for a hint, it took a while but it was more satisfying when you figured it out. FF8 had probably the worst combat system in the series in my opinion, it let down the whole game. I much preferred 9 and 12.
You didn't have to phone for a hint, but it was designed for you to do that. Some the logic was completely absurd so that it was funny after you realised it but there was no way to reasonably come to that conclusion without pixel bitching and trial and error.

FF8 is obviously a matter of opinion, and no Final Fantasy game really counts as a sequel, but it's actually one of my favourite systems. Obviously there isn't much spell casting going on, but it's actually interesting playing in a way that emulates the scarcity of magic that shows up in a lot of stories and having it be reinforced by the mechanics. I'm actually sad there aren't more FF8 like combat systems. Either way, it's a game where if you liked it the first time around, you'll like it a decade later. Resident Evil and Monkey Island seemed cool when they came out, but no way I could ever go back to playing them.

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 was worse than the original. The first was a laugh but it should've stayed as either that one game and then a brand new Rayman, or not a Rayman game at all.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
migo said:
FF8 is obviously a matter of opinion
It was a good idea and I'd like to see it rebalanced and done in a better way but there were just so many ways you could totally break the game with junctions. Same with materia.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Deus Ex Invisible War... it took out everything I loved about the original...

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I am surprised that no one mentioned Mass Effect. despite its flaws, ME2 is way better than ME1.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Most of the time sequels are better than the originals (at least in gaming). Generally, when a sequel seems to be worse, people say that because the sequel was too similar to the original.Of course, there are cases of games getting legitimately bad sequels.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I thought GTA III: Vice City was superior to GTA III, but I thought GTA III was much better than 1 or 2. Though when you change the game like that that much it's hard to call it a sequal. More like a remake.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Resident Evil 5 wasn't as good as Resident Evil 4... and BioShock 2 was nothing compared to the original. Left 4 Dead 1 had more jaw dropping events if you're looking for that kind of stuff.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
I don't understand the point of this thread. Some sequels are better than their predecessor, some are worse. Some people find sequels worse, some find sequels better. This is basic, incredibly generalised stuff and doesn't actually require a conversation.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Legacy of kain was better than its sequels.
MAster of Orion 2 was better than master of orion 3
Doom was better than Doom 2

So in short yes.
Sometimes the games sucess is dependant on some kind of magic going on that they just cant capture in the sequels..

Dxz5roxg

Aug 19, 2009
I liked Fantastic Four more than Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Other than that I can't think of much else.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'm not sure. All forum-bound cynicism aside, developers these days tend to listen to feedback about orignals and improve on them. Aside from maybe, Resident evil outbreak 1, compared to file 2, and even then only because it was made for online, and at the time of playing, I didn't have online, the only bad sequals I can think of are ones which had bad originals.

I will say one thing about a game which will undoubtably pop up here more than a few times.

Bioshock 2 is, in my opinion, a better game than bioshock 1. It has better gameplay in single player, and it has surprisingly fun and addictive multiplayer.

But as an experience, for want of a less artsy wat to explain it, bioshock 1 will always be greatly superior. I'm sure everyone who's played it will understand what I mean.

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
It can go either way really. You have your Empire Strikes Back's and your Invisible War's. I can't even say whether or not I generally like the originals better than the sequels 'cause it varies so much.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Painkiller was better than all the expansion packs and sequels, same with F.E.A.R. Tony Hawk's Underground 2 was horrid while the first Underground was up there with Pro Skater 2 in my opinion. Super Smash Bros Brawl is complete trash too.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Mezmer said:
KOTOR is miles ahead of KOTOR 2
It could have been a lot better (possibly even better than the first KotOR), but it suffered from being made by a different studio (Obsidian, not BioWare) and a rushed release; far too much was cut from the game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
In films, the first film tends to be best. In games, they tend to improve.

danpascooch said:
migo said:
Bioshock Bioshock Bioshock Bioshock Bioshock Bioshock

......Bioshock

The original worked because of the amazing story, something the sequel failed at miserably.
Bioshock's "amazing" (Did. Not. Like.) story was rendered useless to me because of the pacing. The second totally fixed that, and still maintained a fairly interesting story; one far more emotionally engaging at that and far less shallow (although that's not difficult). And the shooty-shooty-bang-bang sections were better. And so was the game's climax. And hacking was better too.

I really don't understand why people prefer the first (or even like it for that matter). The sequel does everything better in my mind.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
migo said:
I've noticed in a lot of cases the sequel is unquestionably better than the original, even if it isn't received as well. If the game was good to begin with, the sequel ends up being better, and the only case of a sequel seeming worse is if the game originally rode on hype or just had something that seemed cool for the time and wasn't actually that good to begin with.

So, are there any games where the sequel is actually bad, and the original is still good when you go back and play it years later?
Crackdown 2, enough said.

Not a Yahtzee-tard here, I bought, played, and returned Crackdown 2 before his review even came out.