Are some game developers not "finishing" video games completely before launch.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Scikosomatic said:
Axolotl said:
This is harly new, look at KOTOR 2 or Fallout 2 both were rushed and buggy. It's just that now the developers are in a better position to patch them, it's not ideal but it's better.
???...I never had any problems running KOTOR II......
There's a few sections of the story missing that the developers said were left out 'cause Lucas Arts didn't give them enough time to finish it.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
ryai458 said:
HUBILUB said:
Evidence for developers not "finishing" up:

THE FORCE UNLEASHED!

Seriously, it has glitches and bugs that I would never expect in a well-funded, overhyped game like this.

Stupid stupid hype.

Also, games based on films never get done fast enough.
I have beaten TFU twice and gotten all the holocrons and the DLCs(basically I'm saying I've played alot) and I haven't come across any glitches. I have a xbox360. I have read about glitches in TFU alot so I was wondering what they are?
There are the usual graphic-problems where you can clearly see in the distance that something looks unfinished but when you walk up it's fixed, then there are the invisible platforms, the platforms you can't jump on, getting stuck into walls, things disappearing, the strange invisible walls (or lack of them, because you can't have both invisible walls and no invisible walls, that makes no sense), then there where several times where the holocron wouldn't admit that I took it so I had to restart the level from new game to actually get it, when fighting fallen Luke, if you walk to much to the right there will spawn enemies that shoot at you from off-screen so you can't shoot back, you die in places you shouldn't die (you should be able to walk underneath the death-ray in the death star level when you're in the room with all the death-rays, because the fucking purge troopers can, but I sadly die even though I'm much shorter than they are)

There are some more, but I can't remember them so well.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Scikosomatic said:
Axolotl said:
This is harly new, look at KOTOR 2 or Fallout 2 both were rushed and buggy. It's just that now the developers are in a better position to patch them, it's not ideal but it's better.
There's a few sections of the story missing that the developers said were left out 'cause Lucas Arts didn't give them enough time to finish it.
Lucas Arts are evil! EVIL I TELL YOU!

Scikosomatic

Sep 15, 2009
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Scikosomatic said:
Axolotl said:
ooooooh. i guess it WOULD have been nice if there had been more story

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I wonder how many glitches and bugs Fallout 3 and Oblivion had...Then again, they were mostly funny as hell.

Adjuchas Brokk

Dec 15, 2009
Unfortunately, a downside of console online capability.
Devs prefer to not pay QA testers to thoroughly test their games, leaving the end user to be irritated with game breaking bugs, report them then receive a patch (when the devs have finished development of the first 50 DLC cash-cows). PC gaming has been like this for years, only without the DLC cash-cow delays.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Well, sorta. I think they are less adamant about fixing bugs, but not everyone uses patches to eb effective. Epic doesnt give a fuck and Gears of War is glitch city. Oblivion is very big and harder to catch, though I wish they would make the unnoficial Oblivion patch official and bring it to consoles.
And they are withholding, alot of companies. It is theoretically finished if the main story is completable, but if you have whole DLC planned prior to, thats stupid.
DLC should be "Crap, I just had a great idea for that game...but we released it already...I know..DLC!"

Dannyboy1186

Jul 14, 2009
Kiutu said:
Well, sorta. I think they are less adamant about fixing bugs, but not everyone uses patches to eb effective. Epic doesnt give a fuck and Gears of War is glitch city. Oblivion is very big and harder to catch, though I wish they would make the unnoficial Oblivion patch official and bring it to consoles.
And they are withholding, alot of companies. It is theoretically finished if the main story is completable, but if you have whole DLC planned prior to, thats stupid.
DLC should be "Crap, I just had a great idea for that game...but we released it already...I know..DLC!"
Agree with you there since sometimes developers just forget about unfinished games like oblivion. I mean it might even get to the point that players make the patches themselves.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Force Unleashed and MW2 are two good examples of this. Force Unleashed was quite buggy, and MW2 has a bunch of multiplayer bugs. Paradox is also notorious for releasing half broken games (Hearts of Iron series!). It's not really a new problem, I've noticed it for a while now, at least 3~4 years.

I understand that some companies (mostly Paradox, since Lucas Arts and Activision are quite rich) might be running out of funds and would have to release the game a bit buggy with the promise of future patches. But I don't really like that practice a lot (since asshole devs/publishers might just refuse to patch it or forget about it), and I just hold off my purchases for 6 months or until the community says that the bugs are mostly fixed.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Kiutu said:
The development of games is finished months prior to release, so the team is either allocated to a different project within the company, laid off entirely, or left with nothing to do. Now, with the advent of DLC, the team can stay together and continue to produce content. Sometimes that content is finished and ready in time for the game's release, but it can't be packaged in with the finished game, because it's been ready on the discs for a while. It can't be released for free because it cost money to make and that money has to be brought back in somehow. The result is day one DLC.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
scnj said:
Kiutu said:
The development of games is finished months prior to release, so the team is either allocated to a different project within the company, laid off entirely, or left with nothing to do. Now, with the advent of DLC, the team can stay together and continue to produce content. Sometimes that content is finished and ready in time for the game's release, but it can't be packaged in with the finished game, because it's been ready on the discs for a while. It can't be released for free because it cost money to make and that money has to be brought back in somehow. The result is day one DLC.
I'd prefer patches then. And they should atleast pretend it wasnt pre-emptive. And that just seems like wasted time. Either fix the game more, or release it sooner.

bfwissil

Nov 22, 2009
Why hire QA people, when your customers will pay YOU to do it? Until this behavior actually puts a dent in their sales, there is no down side. Unless of course you want repeat business, but surprisingly few people who whine about it actually put their money where their mouth is and refuse to buy future games just because they're released buggy.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Dannyboy1186 said:
Kiutu said:
Agree with you there since sometimes developers just forget about unfinished games like oblivion. I mean it might even get to the point that players make the patches themselves.
I dont think its that unfinished, just buggy. Though its very big and things get overlooked. Just want some more glicth fixes (particularly ith glitched quest items)

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Only some games aren't finished but I think it may be developers just wanting to make a quick buck. I mean, look at King of Fighters XII. That game has barely any modes, like 4 stages, an imbalanced set of special attacks and broken online play at launch. On top of that it only takes up about 30% of a Blu-Ray disc. Even Blazblue manages more than that and it still uses 2D sprites.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Kiutu said:
scnj said:
Kiutu said:
I'd prefer patches then. And they should atleast pretend it wasnt pre-emptive. And that just seems like wasted time. Either fix the game more, or release it sooner.
The game has to go through final testing, then box art has to be created. Then it has to be sent off for classification. Then they have to market it (trailers, adverts etc) and pick the best release date for it.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
scnj said:
Kiutu said:
scnj said:
Kiutu said:
The game has to go through final testing, then box art has to be created. Then it has to be sent off for classification. Then they have to market it (trailers, adverts etc) and pick the best release date for it.
But do they not have different people for these things. I dont think the devs are the advertisers.