Are the Classic Monsters Still Scary?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Hey, work is work. Come to think of it, mummies could be a special class of zombies that are raised by (and use) magic.

And I still don't get Five Night's at Freddy's; I watch The Game Theorists, and they make it sound like its developer is trying to build a vast mythology out of jump scares.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Hey, work is work. Come to think of it, mummies could be a special class of zombies that are raised by (and use) magic.

And I still don't get Five Night's at Freddy's; I watch The Game Theorists, and they make it sound like its developer is trying to build a vast mythology out of jump scares.
There *is* lore behind it all, but it's really hard to care when Scott Cawthon is only really feeding the Markiplier and Pewdiepie fanbases. The last game was supposed to be the final chapter, but the fans dig around and go past the inane screams and act like the nonsensical revelations that pop up are worthy of praise.

At this point, and having played the core three FNAF games, I'm confused. Did the Purple Guy kill the kids? Are the kids still controlling the animatronics? Is Cawthon's voiceover at the beginning of the first game still related to the Purple Guy? Why would these kids' spirits leave Freddy Fazbear's Pizza and start tormenting some other kid in his bedroom?

The more this goes on, the more I have the sense that Cawthon's just stopped caring. He'll retcon whatever needs to be retconned, so long as it gives him enough leeway to make another game in the series - and another one - and another one...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think the classic monsters can be scary, if they are written well that is. Jump scares don't make things scary.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
I think the classical monsters begin to lack the "fear of the unknown" factor. We have seen vampires and mummies been killed hundreds of times and they have been used in all available mediums and genres. We know them inside out, we can kill them. Not quite scary.
SCP-173 on the other hand... I mean look at it, what is that thing??!?

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
IamLEAM1983 said:
Darth_Payn said:

There *is* lore behind it all, but it's really hard to care when Scott Cawthon is only really feeding the Markiplier and Pewdiepie fanbases. The last game was supposed to be the final chapter, but the fans dig around and go past the inane screams and act like the nonsensical revelations that pop up are worthy of praise.

At this point, and having played the core three FNAF games, I'm confused. Did the Purple Guy kill the kids? Are the kids still controlling the animatronics? Is Cawthon's voiceover at the beginning of the first game still related to the Purple Guy? Why would these kids' spirits leave Freddy Fazbear's Pizza and start tormenting some other kid in his bedroom?

The more this goes on, the more I have the sense that Cawthon's just stopped caring. He'll retcon whatever needs to be retconned, so long as it gives him enough leeway to make another game in the series - and another one - and another one...
I do believe I can answer at least some of your questions. "Did the Purple Guy kill the kids?" Yes, but it was his first victim, The Puppet, that put the kids into the mechanical suits. "Are the kids still controlling the animatronics?" FNAF3 implies that in the Good Ending, the spirits are at peace. FNAF 1 is the result of the Bad Ending, where their killer is long dead, but they are still angry, restless spirits, attacking any that dare wear the uniform of the one that killed them. "Is Cawthon's voiceover at the beginning of the first game still related to the Purple Guy?" Oh, yeah. They're recordings, he even implies this on Night 4, that he's glad he left these recordings for you, and that he wants you to maybe find him afterward? "Why would these kids' spirits leave Freddy Fazbear's Pizza and start tormenting some other kid in his bedroom?" Because the spirits you see aren't the spirits the kid sees in FNAF4. His brother and his friends are scaring him for a laugh. For all we know, it could be either A. the kids dreams as he's in the hospital after the accident, (which makes little sense, because the part of the brain that controls his fear response in the first place was removed after the accident.) or the nightmares of his brother, tormented by the fact that his prank landed his little brother in a coma.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
fractal_butterfly said:
I think the classical monsters begin to lack the "fear of the unknown" factor. We have seen vampires and mummies been killed hundreds of times and they have been used in all available mediums and genres. We know them inside out, we can kill them. Not quite scary.
SCP-173 on the other hand... I mean look at it, what is that thing??!?
Exactly. However, the real problem with the classic monsters is nobody even makes any attempt anymore to make them the scary nigh unkillable badasses they used to be, nor do they bother to give them some freaking subtlety, things like Twilight are just symptomatic of this. This isn't even about a lot of them becoming good guys, one can do that and still have these creatures be scary badasses most every time they appear or at least still badasses. In fact, the classic monsters are treated like jokes just like this comic does far far more often than they are treated seriously and that's been the case for decades.