Are there any concepts you're just burnt out on?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Slasher movies.

Group of teens do stupid shit and piss someone off or go camping. Someone with various tools kills off said teens one at a time. And it's here we run into the problem.
You forgot the part about how the teens/college kids always ALWAYS consists of the Good Girl, the Bad Girl, the Jock, and the Nerd. The Jock will end up having sex with the Bad Girl and the Good Girl will hook up with the Nerd, but they won't get as far as sex because that's about when the serial killer/monster shows up.

Also add me in for zombies too. The only Zombies thing I really liked was Plants vs Zombies and that's only because it was comical.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Modern military FPS games. Just... bleh. I game (usually) because I just want to have some fun and escape. That being said, I will play story based games or art games a la Walking Dead or Limbo.

Strangely enough, I still like zombies. I realise a lot of people don't like them anymore but they serve as a nice cannon fodder and you can't get mad at someone for killing zombies.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Rawne1980 said:
Slasher movies.

Group of teens do stupid shit and piss someone off or go camping. Someone with various tools kills off said teens one at a time. And it's here we run into the problem.
You forgot the part about how the teens/college kids always ALWAYS consists of the Good Girl, the Bad Girl, the Jock, and the Nerd. The Jock will end up having sex with the Bad Girl and the Good Girl will hook up with the Nerd, but they won't get as far as sex because that's about when the serial killer/monster shows up.

Also add me in for zombies too. The only Zombies thing I really liked was Plants vs Zombies and that's only because it was comical.
And the Bad Girl will always flash her tits and be the first one to die. And the token Black Guy will walk into the basement to never return after saying "I'll be back in a minute".

Lever

Jun 30, 2011
NickKuroshi0 said:
"realistic shooters" have just gotten boring, change the setting into a more futuristic one
I'm going to have to join you on this one. In fact, "realism" in general. As much as I appreciate great games like CoH, I think that maybe there are a few too many "realistic" games in general.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
mitchell271 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Rawne1980 said:
Slasher movies.

And the Bad Girl will always flash her tits and be the first one to die. And the token Black Guy will walk into the basement to never return after saying "I'll be back in a minute".
Oh right, I forgot about the token black guy. And yeah it'll either be the basement or the shed or the bathroom or something, but it'll always be preceded by the line "I'll be back in a minute." And then about 20 minutes later someone will remark about how he's been gone for awhile.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
As much as I think Zombies bore me, occasional things like L4D make me realise they can be still fun, it's mostly just movies where I find them boring and how the people react repetative.

I think this thread has already managed to cover a lot of the typical ones, like 'merica vs russorists and mindless slasher movies so I'll try to think outside the box.

Does Tim Burton count as a concept? Just everything to do with that style from the music to his wife make me run into a corner and pretend it doesn't exist.

If that doesn't count, single player fantasy. I love swords and magic and all this but I'm tired of doing it all alone. Skyrim was good, but I would of loved it with a friend beside me. I can't bring myself to play as the 'hero legend fortold' anymore, stab the same oversized rats by myself. I reckon having a friend there for the ride, exploring these worlds with me would be great.

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
Phasmal said:
`Well, now that annoying family of mine is dead, I can pursue my true passion; MURDER!`
For some reason, I read that with Yahtzee's voice.

OT, same with most people. Zombies are just a bit too overused in my opinion, most of the time it feels the same, and I rarely come across something involving zombies that actually captures my interest.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
BushMonstar said:
Phasmal said:
`Well, now that annoying family of mine is dead, I can pursue my true passion; MURDER!`
For some reason, I read that with Yahtzee's voice.
That does seem like it could be a Yahtzee quote, doesn't it?

OT: 3D.

Honestly, movies are getting slightly better with it, and I appreciate that they're not really filming scenes that keep trying to make things [HEADING=1]pop out[/HEADING] at you anymore and instead are adding depth to the background of the scenery, but it's still not really interesting enough for me to say "You know, my movie-watching experience has been enhanced because this was in 3D."

And 3D in games can go to hell. Though it was neat in Epic Mickey 2.

CapnCJ

Mar 4, 2009
The gritty modern shooter. We get it, the middle east and Russia are plotting against America.

Maybe do something a little more creative?

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Concepts? No, not really, anything can work. Yeah military shooters and zombies are boring, but it can still work.

Now specific things? Protagonists with beards. It's always the same beard, too.

Now I have no qualms with beards, I actually think they're rad, but how about a guy without a beard, or at least a different haircut, like what Santa Claus has.

Or how about a woman with a beard? It'll be like my pubescent wet dreams all over again It'll will be a fun change of pace, maybe trying to escape from the circus or something.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Phasmal said:
Is it wrong i now actually want to see that quote in a movie?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Zhukov said:
- +1 for zombie apocalypses. So very played out. (Yes, the Walking Dead game is an exception. No need to lynch me.)

- The Land of the Free Vs Terrorists/Russians. Please stop slapping me in the face with your 9/11 revenge fantasies.

- Sword & Sorcery fantasy with elves, dwarves and orcs. Yes, Tolkien was pretty cool. Now can we please stop ripping him off? Also, can we please stop ripping of the guys who ripped off the guys who ripped off Tolkien? That would also be nice.

- Mad Max style post-apocalypse settings. It's been done to death, please stop it.
I'm not tired of Swords and sorcery. Because, yes, dwarves are often a part, but DAMMIT WHY THE HELL DO SO FEW GAMES THESE DAYS LET ME PLAY AS THE SHORT ANGRY DRUNKS WITH AXES!?

Ahem.

I don't think I'm truly tired of anything just yet, but, if assassins goes much further, I might. Dishonoured, assassins creed, hitman, so many assassins that I can't help but wonder how they're all getting work without causing a major drop in worldwide population.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I don't really think I'm burnt out on any concepts in entertainment media, except maybe, maybe, movies based on books, especially books I like. I thought this thread was going to be about discussion topics you're burnt out on . . . maybe I should start that thread.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
The fact that the only plot in any typical fantasy setting ever is "looming apocalypse/war/awakening ancient evil must be stopped". It's so unoriginal it's almost sickening. Why do we never see town guards investigating a murder? A blacksmith struggling to keep up with the competition? The effects of new technology on a fantasy world? There's so much to explore.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Burnt out on the whole MMORPG thing; WoW pretty much took all my patience for the genre, I honestly think I've had enough for a life time. After so much frustration with the game and constantly being pulled back in just to be disappointed again I really can't play any MMORPG without having a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Also I'm burnt out on the "open world game", yea it's great that you can run around and enjoy the scenery but too many games just use it as a padding and for some reason players eat it up and ask for more. I honestly don't get people's arguments when they're like omg open world game look how many hours I have to put into it, when like 50+% of it is just farting around with no actual substance. I honestly wonder how short some of these games would be if the missions dropped you off exactly where you needed to be.

While not sick of the post apocalypse setting in general, I'm not a fan of the trend of let's crank out a bunch of old school style post apocalyptic games.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Gotta be shoe-horned romance for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely fine with romance that's well done, indeed some of my favorite works have a strong romance aspect. What grinds my gears is when an adventure / discovery / sci-fi work etc feels the need to introduce a token love interest (usually female) who will predictably fall for the hero with little effort or development at the end of the story. If you're going to have romance, put in the time to flesh it out.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Zombies: Zombie based games have been around for a while, and there have been a ton this generation. Left 4 Dead was great when it was new. They could have released L4D2 as an expansion instead, since it really didn't add too much. The Walking Dead did this right where while there are zombies involved, they aren't the main focus of the game. It focuses more on the interactions and consequences of dealing with people in a zombie apocalypse situation.

Modern Military shooters: Last generation it was WW2, this generation it's modern military. Just like the Nazis, I'm getting tired of killing Russians and Middle Easterns. Spec Ops: The Line mixed it up a little, but the game play wasn't the selling point of that game.

Open Worlds: Okay, your first time in Liberty City, or any other truly open world is fun, but after you go on your murder-spree all that's left is a large amount of padding between you and your goal. Dark Souls did this great. You had 3 paths to start out at with varying levels of difficulty. You have to complete all three to complete the game, but you have that choice. Also once you get far enough into the game you are pretty much anywhere in 5 minutes because of warps and shortcuts. Yes, a sprawling landscape is nice, but traveling through all the terrain just to get to the next objective is boring, unless you make the path interesting visually, which requires a LOT of work in games like Skyrim, or a large copy paste of a real world map like in GTA (it's based on NYC, idk if it's a copy paste or not).

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
With games it would have to be modern military shooters. I loved playing COD4, but after MW2 it started to get a bit boring. I do like games such as Rainbow Six Vegas though, but that seems to be more because its focused on tactical combat where, even with the regenerative health feature, a single pistol round is still capable of one-shotting you at the lowest difficulty. And plus, you have a team that you can direct, rather then a bunch of guys who won't do anything except yell fifty times about getting to the landing zone.

As for books, I have trouble reading anything with elves and dwarfs, particularly when the elves live in a Suetopian society and constantly talk in a philosophical manner. Dragons are still pretty cool though.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
MMORPG's. I want to play them, but I'm being let down by others. Which makes my goals to play them pointless.

Yeh, those modern realistic shooters. I'm on the bandwagon too.