Are there any gamer geeks who actually are good-looking?

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
l3o2828 said:
Duffeknol said:
Actually that would be me. I look like Jensen Ackles in a way, I'm an extremely dedicated gamer and even a Warhammer 40k nerd. Proof of good looks:

She thinks you are pretty.
Tell her she has a good taste in men, then B)

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
l3o2828 said:
My sister and i have been discussing the image of the usual gamer and basically how i believe that the usual image people have of gamers that is to say the normal geek of 'wearing glasses, chubby, etc' imagery,is absolutely wrong.
I placed myself as an example, but she says i don't count.
My sister disagrees, because while it's true she hasn't seen any true dedicated gamer looking any appealing (and neither did i, yet), i believe this is just a matter of perspective...sort of.
The thing is, she wants to see normal people , the everyday John and the everyday Mary gamers because, i showed her both Lisa Foiles and Ben Yahtzee (i was actually watching last weeks zero punctuation when this discussion happened), who i think are somewhat good looking people who are related to the gaming community, but she dissed them as example because in her opinion while Lisa Foiles is pretty, she thinks she is more close the model demographic and she said some things about her body that might get me banned for even quoting, and dissed Ben as good looking (wich is odd, because i think he looks so much better than me)and she said he looked like The guy with the glasses, but less appealing.
Things weren't looking pretty well for me, so thats why i think to prove her that normal people who are dedicated gamers do look different than the stereotype, i should just go into a gaming comunity and ask for help.
So, Escapists, do you want to help, as superficial as this is?
From reading that, I think the best option would be to slap her and tell her to stop being so stupid. You gave an example (not an example I would give, since I don't particularly like her appearance) and she simply dismissed it because, from what I can tell, her opinion was right and that would prove her wrong. Then add on the fact that good looking is completely subjective, it amounts to a very pointless arguement against an unreasonable person.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
l3o2828 said:
gillebro said:
Well I'm geeky, I wear glasses and I'm chubby... although I suppose being female helps to count me out of the completely stereotypical demographic.
Most of the gamers I know don't fit the stereotypical image, actually. I know hot gamers, ugly gamers, in-between gamers, tall gamers, short gamers... my brother's an enthusiastic gamer, and while he's a total geek he doesn't really look like one... until he opens his mouth and you realise that 'geek' is one of the few words you can use to truly, truly describe him.

Also, OP... I kinda reckon your sister's being a bit harsh. Lisa Foiles is really pretty, although I have to admit she's so pale that the gamer image really suits her. Yahtzee's pretty good-looking, I reckon, if you're comparing him to the general populace. That Guy With The Glasses isn't going to be winning any beauty contests, but I certainly wouldn't say he's zomgugly.
I think she dissed Lisa foiles because while she is pretty she looks more like a model that plays games rather than a normal everyday person.
But IMHO Lisa Foiles is beatiful, and i think both Yahtzee and That Guy With The Glasses are 'cute' nohomonohomo lol
Hmmm... good point by your sister, but I think Lisa deserves to be counted. She plays games, after all. And, not that I know her history, but I'd assume she didn't get her reviewing gigs through her looks alone (although they may have helped)
Hehe, hey, I think any bloke able to call another bloke 'cute', is truly a man. The same brother I mentioned refuses to say that any of the men I show him pictures of are in any way attractive, and I therefore dub him a wuss.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
No offense but your sister sounds kind of shallow. Why does it matter what people look like?
Myself I'm kind of chubby but I like to think I'm quite pretty all the same.

Todd Howard is kind of cute in a hobbit type way and have you SEEN Casey Hudson the producer of Mass Effect...HEYLO.

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
Flyingchciken93 said:
A ton of star developers are good looking imo anyway like hideo kojima or cliffy brezinski or some Gamers like Hutch, seananners and pewdiepie from youtube
Tejbz is really good looking. If you don't know who he is, look him up on youtube.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Dyme said:
I don't consider her good looking!
Your girlfriend is Scarlett Johansson I assume. If not, I don't get why you would say that.
Or maybe She's not to his taste?

OP - Your Sister needs to look a little bit harder. Tonnes or gamers are pretty good looking, honestly, most of the Escapist is. And there's a lot of Males and Female gamers in this site to look at.

Also, this is slowly turning in to a PYP thread... :|

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Most of my gamer friends are 'normal' looking people and quite pretty/handsome. My partner does part-time modelling occasionally and is quite the Nintendo/XBOX fanatic. First thing she when we hooked up was to challenge me to a game of Goldeneye; like it was some sort of man test to see if you were not a ejeet.

All but one of my gamer friends have girlfriends/boyfriends who are not the stereotypical geeky looking person. Rather annoyingly they all tend to be better at Halo and Mortal Kombat then myself. *grumble*

We all go out: drink, dance, some like their drugs, music festivals, art, literature, etc. We also just happen to like to kill people with sniper rifles or fatalities...and enjoy being geeks that also don't mind sunlight...too much anyway. ^_^

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
McCa said:
Well duh. Appearance does not define interests, for a start, I'm pretty sexy my self. My geeky missus is just beautiful, most of my friends are normal looking, Charlie would have me say he's sexy, many of the nerdy girls in my year are fairly attractive.

As for age, I'm 18 in a few months.

Oh and I totally rock a Trilby.
Hello, my brother!

OT: I guess I'm fine, got me a perpetually flat stomach, despite the fact I can gorge on doritos and quaff gallons of fizzy drink with the best of them.

I've been describes as looking kind of like Daniel Radcliffe/David Tennant on separate occasions, so I guess it comes down how my hair is? I don't know...

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Deadlock Radium said:
Chapper said:

I think I look right around average, I guess. Nothing to brag about. And I'm a geek for Pokémon, Street Fighter and RPGs mainly.
That's one Norwegian look. I approve. :D

I'm the one to the right in two of the photos.
And yes, that's so called "hipster glasses" that I bought for 5 euros in France for teh lulz.
The next two weeks were full of "Too mainstream"-jokes and stuff. I want to go back now.
Norway represent!

Do the secret viking handshake!

Raineheart

Mar 23, 2009
Well, me and my girlfriend are avid gamers. We've been told we make a pretty good couple. (My photo is about a year and a half old now.)

Jun 26, 2010
l3o2828 said:
Break said:
Better question: why are you humouring her? She's already proven that her opinion isn't actually based on any kind of evidence or rational thought process, having ignored perfectly good examples for no real reason. At that point, it's not just a matter of being wrong; everyone's wrong about some things, it's a fact of life. But once you've started ignoring basic facts in favour of clinging to your baseless preconceptions, then you've crossed the line from being misinformed, to being an idiot. You've already made a perfectly good case. Don't feel like you've failed to argue your point just because she's being unreasonable. That's her fault, not yours.
I don't quite believe she was being unreasonable.
She is/was definitely being unreasonable.
If she was willing to believe all un-famous gamers were [insert stereotypical description of gamer here] then she's definitely not being reasonable.

OT: I'm get called handsome a lot....... By relatives.
But there's no smoke without fire, ay!
I'm not overweight (if anything I'm underweight) and I'm reasonably fit.
I've got medium length brown hair with turquoise-ey eyes.

On the "nerdy" side I like, RPGs, MMOs, Warhammer (and other model/table top oriented games), LARPing (though I've never done it), reading fantasy novels, etc.

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
I can say that I know a few very attractive gamers, but this whole conversation is really a moot point because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless of course, we're talking about the modern stereotype of beauty that "most" people consider what beauty should look like. (Thin figure and hourglass shape, or muscular and in shape, you fill in the blanks) I love to play games, but I also work out about two hours a day and have a balance. It seems to me that you get what you put into it. If you're on WoW 24/7 drinking Code Red with pizza then chances are you're going to look like it. But you're also probably going to be very good at WoW. If you work out 24/7 drinking protein and watch what you eat then you're going to be ripped. But you'll probably suck at games. It's all what you put in.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
dex-dex said:
artanis_neravar said:
dex-dex said:
well I do wear glasses but I am not chubby!
first off I am not a guy and I am a gamer/nerd! I know I am not a holy shit babe magnet but

WHOOPA! looking like a hipster but without the glasses and the douchy attitude! I have lost some weight since the photo was taen but is not that far off.
It's possible to look like a hipster without the douchy attitude?
Note: that was not meant as an insult to you in anyway
OT:
Don't normally like posting pictures of myself, hell I don't even like putting pictures of me on facebook, but whatever

I'm the guy prsonally don't think I'm attractive but meh
I know! isn't that weird? I did not think it was possible either.
but I seem to break a lot of stereotypes.
It's impressive I must make a note to start breaking some stereotypes

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Duffeknol said:
l3o2828 said:
Duffeknol said:
Actually that would be me. I look like Jensen Ackles in a way, I'm an extremely dedicated gamer and even a Warhammer 40k nerd. Proof of good looks:

She thinks you are pretty.
Tell her she has a good taste in men, then B)
Har har har.
gillebro said:
l3o2828 said:
gillebro said:
Well I'm geeky, I wear glasses and I'm chubby... although I suppose being female helps to count me out of the completely stereotypical demographic.
Most of the gamers I know don't fit the stereotypical image, actually. I know hot gamers, ugly gamers, in-between gamers, tall gamers, short gamers... my brother's an enthusiastic gamer, and while he's a total geek he doesn't really look like one... until he opens his mouth and you realise that 'geek' is one of the few words you can use to truly, truly describe him.

Also, OP... I kinda reckon your sister's being a bit harsh. Lisa Foiles is really pretty, although I have to admit she's so pale that the gamer image really suits her. Yahtzee's pretty good-looking, I reckon, if you're comparing him to the general populace. That Guy With The Glasses isn't going to be winning any beauty contests, but I certainly wouldn't say he's zomgugly.
I think she dissed Lisa foiles because while she is pretty she looks more like a model that plays games rather than a normal everyday person.
But IMHO Lisa Foiles is beatiful, and i think both Yahtzee and That Guy With The Glasses are 'cute' nohomonohomo lol
Hmmm... good point by your sister, but I think Lisa deserves to be counted. She plays games, after all. And, not that I know her history, but I'd assume she didn't get her reviewing gigs through her looks alone (although they may have helped)
Hehe, hey, I think any bloke able to call another bloke 'cute', is truly a man. The same brother I mentioned refuses to say that any of the men I show him pictures of are in any way attractive, and I therefore dub him a wuss.
Thanks i guess lol
xXxJessicaxXx said:
No offense but your sister sounds kind of shallow. Why does it matter what people look like?
Myself I'm kind of chubby but I like to think I'm quite pretty all the same.
Again, i doubt shes that shallow, she changed her mind after all.
And it didn't really mattered to her how people look like as a purerly astethic thing, but she was mostly worried that all gamers were no-life 24/7 WoW players who are not healthy looking.

SilentSh0tz

Feb 11, 2010
So what are you implying? That every person who plays video games is considered a "geek" and have no sense of personal hygiene or physical health? How stereotypical of you.

En Row

Apr 18, 2009
Deadlock Radium said:

I'm the one to the right in two of the photos.
And yes, that's so called "hipster glasses" that I bought for 5 euros in France for teh lulz.
The next two weeks were full of "Too mainstream"-jokes and stuff. I want to go back now.
I am quite amazed at your hair my friend
I mean..

spikey... so spikey....