Are there any gamer geeks who actually are good-looking?

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
remedyX said:
Oh my, where to begin.
Not true at all, what people call themselves has nothing to do with the way they appear, some people dress to fit a certain niche, but most do not I am a gamer, a sports person, and an intellectual among other things.
First of all this sentence is almost impossible to read. You need to add more commas.

Just because people don't dress to fit a certain niche doesn't mean they aren;t dressing to reflect the appearance they want people to see. When you're at the store and you're picking a shirt, how do you decide which one to wear? A common cliche' is "it's just not me" (I don't identify with wearing this piece of garb). I'll shy away from becoming too pretentious and going Freudian about sexual drive and so forth. However you can't just say "I'm right". Offer an argument with it, that's all I ask.

You offer yourself as evidence. The epitome of anecdotal evidence. You couldn't get a more biased case study if you tried.

So you're a self professed intellectual and a sporty person! :O
So then, from an objective point of view (based on this info) I'd conclude that you're not a 'gamer'. Because being a gamer involves a whole load of social conventions and implicit meaning beyond 'playing games'. If you're honestly thinking that I'm calling everyone whos played a game introverted, or ugly or whatever then I'd say you're deliberately misinterpreting me to flex your 'intellectual' muscles.
I am also an introvert, but it doesn't stop me from holding myself in confidence and talking to people should they approach me, and I am a very approachable person, so your analysis is based on the simplest ideas of how people act and it shows your ignorance
So you're not an introvert then.
http://www.google.com.au/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=define:introvert&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=612d70e118dcfff0&biw=996&bih=523
in·tro·vert/ˈintrəˌvərt/Noun
1. A shy, reticent, and typically self-centered person.

Your rebuttle is based off gaps in logic and misrepresentation.

I'll be surprised if you respond to me in full. I am right by definition here.
Of course a world dominated by extroverts would create such an unflattering definition for us.

In terms of personality introverts, such as myself, are simply people who prefer to retreat into our own thoughts and feelings, rather than engage with others all the time. We live in an "Internal World", and while I can and will interact with others, I find it exhausting and can only do this for so long until I have to retreat and "recharge".

Extroverts prefer to live in the exterior world interacting with others. They can look inwards for awhile in solitude, but they get exhausted and must escape and "recharge" by interacting with others.

Being introverted doesn't make me selfish or unapproachable. That's like saying extroverts are shallow and clingy. Many individuals have found my quiet strength admirable and magnetic.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I have various gamer friends who aren't bad to look at. The males are reasonable good looking, and the females are smoking hot.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
i know quite a lot attractive gamers, from the wow-addicted college hotty to the sexy sporty guy that likes to dive into fantastic fantasy roleplaying at weekends. My first pen and paper group consisted of 8 people (5 girls 3 guys) non of us was either chubby, stinkin dirty or unattractive. Whike in the non-computer gaming scene this is more the exception. Computer gaming is so widely common nowadays that you cant say anything about that demographic anymore. I stopped to wonder when seeing 2 girls carrying their shoppingbags out of a boutique while chatting about their ICC raid.
And in my sportsclub its nothing to be ashamed of to talk about either. It infact surprised me how many of my Handball teammates have had their little nerdy secrets.
Go to a college, a mall, a stadium and point at 10 random people , at least 2 or 3 of them will be gamers.

Maya Posch

May 25, 2011
Good thing we won or I'd have been forced to post a pic of myself and would have totally blown our chances :D

*covers up the link to her website*

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I don't think looks play much of a role in what hobbies and interests people have. At least, not as adults.

When I was a kid, I played a lot of games. Maybe that was because I had very few friends at school. And maybe I had few friends because I was shy, kind of geeky and got picked on a lot, or maybe it was just because I had different interests from the start. I somehow doubt though, that if I had been a cuter kid, I would have automatically fit in better and never really gotten into playing games How old is your sister, anyway?

I'm 29 this weekend, by the way. This is me:

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I proudly consider myself a moderately handsome person, and most of my friends who are gamers are not in this stereotypical appearance.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Well my av is me but i suppose that's not too decent a picture

EDIT
Yay we won :eek:D

EDIT the second

Wow there are some foxy lady escapists out there indeed :eek:)

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
D.J. D.J. said:
<---- That's how I look. I am a big time gamer but I still get out quite a bit.
Do my eyes decieve me...or...is that a Yamaha Virago?? The indicators look similar to the Virago model. Please correct me if i'm wrong (bike rider and also owner of a 750CC XV Virago).

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Why yes good sir, look at my avatar!

Tripple W said:
I dont think im that bad looking just look at my avatar
But, but, under your name it says paper/BOY/, you're clearly a woman! *curls up with a copy of viva pinata* LIEZ, ALL LIEZ

jackmn31

Dec 8, 2010
well i was told that i used to look like austin powers when i was at army cadets which was a year ago but during then and now i've had my hair cut thrice(?)

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
My pic is in the profile. It is from 2 year's ago taken during a cousin's wedding.
I don't know how to put a large version of it in the reply.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009

That's me with red hair. :D
Though I do sometimes wear glasses to game, only if it's a long session though.

Flyingchciken93

Apr 21, 2011
Warlord211 said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
A ton of star developers are good looking imo anyway like hideo kojima or cliffy brezinski or some Gamers like Hutch, seananners and pewdiepie from youtube
Tejbz is really good looking. If you don't know who he is, look him up on youtube.
Wow how the hell did i forget tejbz, Maybe the best looking out of them

Flyingchciken93

Apr 21, 2011
nicole1207 said:

That's me with red hair. :D
Though I do sometimes wear glasses to game, only if it's a long session though.
Can i marry you, lol jk but at least you prove the point of good looking gamers :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
l3o2828 said:
My sister and i have been discussing the image of the usual gamer and basically how i believe that the usual image people have of gamers that is to say the normal geek of 'wearing glasses, chubby, etc' imagery,is absolutely wrong.
I placed myself as an example, but she says i don't count.
My sister disagrees, because while it's true she hasn't seen any true dedicated gamer looking any appealing (and neither did i, yet), i believe this is just a matter of perspective...sort of.
The thing is, she wants to see normal people , the everyday John and the everyday Mary gamers because, i showed her both Lisa Foiles and Ben Yahtzee (i was actually watching last weeks zero punctuation when this discussion happened), who i think are somewhat good looking people who are related to the gaming community, but she dissed them as example because in her opinion while Lisa Foiles is pretty, she thinks she is more close the model demographic and she said some things about her body that might get me banned for even quoting, and dissed Ben as good looking (wich is odd, because i think he looks so much better than me)and she said he looked like The guy with the glasses, but less appealing.
Things weren't looking pretty well for me, so thats why i think to prove her that normal people who are dedicated gamers do look different than the stereotype, i should just go into a gaming comunity and ask for help.
So, Escapists, do you want to help, as superficial as this is?

!!!!!EDIT!!!!! PEOPLE: SHE CHANGED HER MIND, WE WON! :D

The actual truth here is that by definition a gamer geek is not going to be good looking because it requires them to be obsessively into gaming to the point of neglecting other things like personal hygiene, exercise, and self maitnence. This applies to geeks and nerds associated with anything.

If you take decent care of yourself, and look good, you are no longer qualified as a nerd or a geek.

This is an important distinction, because right now with the mainstream coming onto The Internets and into things like gaming, a lot of them want to be seen as having the abillities or knowlege of nerds or geeks, without the negative connotations, and really it's kind of a package.

The typical nerd or geek winds up being what he is because he pursues his area of interest to the exclusion of other things, like personal maitnence. He's so involved mentally that his physical self suffers. Your typical nerd or geek being skinny or fat because they either neglect eating due to their interests (simply consuming a meal being a distraction) or consume low-grade food which has the benefit of being easy to prepare or is always right there... anything that takes even a few minutes away from their area of interest, like cooking a bowl of soup, being anathema to them.

Your typical person doesn't "get" this, and of course in many cases focus on something that isn't mainstream which can range from things like computers and math, to things like comic books or video games (or perhaps various comibations thereof) is confused with laziness, when really it's a matter of someone's energy being focused on something the mainstream has little respect or use for... or at least believes this to be the case.

Right now there is sort of a differance between nerds and geeks, where nerds are generally interested in something that the mainstream has learned to generally respect, where geeks are interested in things society considers useless as a whole. Your geek being the guy who is perhaps a genius but isn't smart in any practical way. The nerd can fix your computer, the geek can demonstrate an encyclopedia-like based of Star Trek knowlege or something like that which is totally useless.

Geeks and Nerds by and large are a stereotype that comes from relatively ordinary people being focused on things to the exclusion of basic life skills. Someone who gains those skills due to natural talent... which requires something like an Eidetic memory, represent something of an exception, with such bases of knowlege simply being something else that they have gained, however someone can't just be that way, it requires being born a freak of nature with talents a normal person does not possess... your typical person might want to claim to be that, but never will be, they have a choice of being a norm, or a geek/nerd. Your typical person has to choose the cereberal, or a more balanced way of living.

Lisa Foiles is definatly not a geek/nerd despite the role she plays for her show. She probably knows a good deal of stuff related to those subcultures, but doesn't have the same kind of personal investment as you can see just by looking at her.

Yahtzee might have counted at one time, but as things have progressed you'd notice he'd taken to doing things like running his own business. A real geek or nerd would be incapable of doing such a thing, because all of their time would be invested in whatever makes them that way. Yahtzee might match the apperance to some extent, but at the same time it's obvious he's not.

If anything Yahtzee is actually something of a bully, he basically makes his mark by busting on geek/nerd culture for a living. You'll notice that he pretty much tries to review games from something of an "ordinary guy" perspective, including just enough self-depreciation to be called on it. How many times has the guy pulled out his little nerd toon, and pointed to "people like that?", or made referances to "that guy" (even if he cracked a joke about becoming "that guy" but only in a very limited sense). Stop and think about this at some point.

Now Bob Chipman and Jim Sterling at least seem to fit the bill, far more than Lisa or Ben. Both seem to be geeks, who have managed to achieve the dream of parlaying a bunch of information that is useless to the mainstream into something of a career, and also at least superficially seem to be drowning in it, rather than maintaining the degree of detachment Lisa has from the same apperance that makes her show appealing, or Ben's abillity to point out that he's a legitimate business owner. Ben in paticular has cited real world concerns and "having a life" for not being more into the material he makes his living at, and not putting as much time into each paticular game that we as geeks would expect... and those
same claims disqualify him from the stereotype.

Right now, like it or not, the world and the internet is full of geek poseurs. It's kind of funny if you look at things as they were 20 or 30 years ago. Like it or not, our base of knowlege now has some slight envy and respect, but at the same time those very same poseurs do not want to make the nessicary leap into living a life dedicated to the purely cereberal and/or wierd.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Well, I think I'm pretty good looking, and I know a few girls that play WoW and CoD and other crap that are hot as hell (but I won't link photos, no). Still, why WOULDN'T there be any?
Silly stereotypes.