Are there any games you play just for the soundtrack?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Braddon Dent said:
I love Kingdom Hearts for a lot of things, but the Traverse Town soundtrack feels like home to me.
And now it's stuck in my head.

Thanks.

OT: I don't think so.

There are many video game soundtracks I love, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I've ever played a game just because of the music. Perhaps the closest argument I could make would be for Journey, as the soundtrack is a masterful bit of composition by itself and the way it's weaved together with what you're doing is practically unparalleled in the video game space.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Trude said:
I've always been an advocate of the Half-Life series and its music as being one of the most under appreciated in the industry. Aside from it being spot on in tone, it's amazing how almost all of the series' title tracks have been composed to fit into the highs and lows of each encounter. Beginning at just the right moment, picking up right as you begin shooting, the bridge when things begin to slow down and ending as the dust settles.
Bastion was another game that handled its music implementation and timing amazingly well on top of having an amazing soundtrack.
True that, after you finish Ravenholm and your firs encounter combine soldiers and...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Braddon Dent said:
I love Kingdom Hearts for a lot of things, but the Traverse Town soundtrack feels like home to me.
And now it's stuck in my head.

Thanks.

OT: I don't think so.

There are many video game soundtracks I love, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I've ever played a game just because of the music. Perhaps the closest argument I could make would be for Journey, as the soundtrack is a masterful bit of composition by itself and the way it's weaved together with what you're doing is practically unparalleled in the video game space.
Do you mean the old arcade video game Journey? Named after the band Journey?! Where you play as 8bit rockers, singing and guitaring various evil things into submission!?!?!?! Oh wait...no you mean that one about the person in red running around the desert. xD Carry on, though both would probably be a good example of a game for the music.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I've never played a game just for the soundtrack. If I only wanted to listen to the soundtrack I would just do that (I'm actually listening to music from Jet Set Radio as I type this.) However I certainly believe that a good soundtrack can really improve a game.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. The gameplay is on the really low end of the genre in terms of my enjoyment, but the soundtrack is so far beyond godlike that I've beaten it a bunch of times. Those boss themes...
https://youtu.be/h-rj8HVW3PQ[/youtube]https://youtu.be/KfwteoZCvoY[/youtube]

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Technically, none. "Just for the soundtrack" implies that there is nothing else at all that I like about the game. And if that were the case, I'd just listen to the music on its own.

However--and I apologize if this is what you were going for on this thread--there are some games in which the soundtrack is a big motivator to replay. Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX come to mind.

Chrono Cross is "meh" at best gameplay-wise. Final Fantasy IX is solid gameplay-wise, but the load times, frequent random encounters, and slow pace of the battles make it hard fully enjoy. Both games are a mixed bag story-wise: in both games there are things that I really, REALLY like and other things that I could do without.

Without the sublime, beautiful soundtracks in these games, I'd be hard-pressed to replay; with them, they are all-time favorites. I'm compelled to go back to these games just to relish the overall experience of spending time in those game-worlds.

maxtiggertom

Apr 13, 2015
yeah one great one would have to be Bioshock Infinte that soundtrack (especially the Elizabeth theme) for me it is pure gold loved it :D

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
An older computer game by Sierra Entertainment called Silent Thunder, and A-10 Warthog flight sim. The soundtrack is a mix of metal and upbeat instrumentals inspired by Arabic and South American music.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
Well, the soundtrack nostalgia is part of the reason I like to fire up some of the old Mega Man games. Those were some amazing chiptunes. The Wily Castle themes always stand out for me. Likewise for any retro games I enjoy. I like the gameplay of course, but the music sets an atmosphere just really MAKES it.

Duck Tales gets my feels going like that too.

Other than that, I can't really say I play many other games JUST for the soundtrack. But the music for Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari was such a crucial part of the experience that the two are inseparable for me. Sorta like Love and Marriage, except they actually work.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
Super Monkey Ball, or honestly, just anything by Hideki Naganuma, which includes Jet Set Radio and a handful of Sonic tracks too.

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
thoughtwrangler said:
Well, the soundtrack nostalgia is part of the reason I like to fire up some of the old Mega Man games. Those were some amazing chiptunes. The Wily Castle themes always stand out for me. Likewise for any retro games I enjoy. I like the gameplay of course, but the music sets an atmosphere just really MAKES it.

Duck Tales gets my feels going like that too.

Other than that, I can't really say I play many other games JUST for the soundtrack. But the music for Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari was such a crucial part of the experience that the two are inseparable for me. Sorta like Love and Marriage, except they actually work.
Mega Man is a good choice. I think my preference was for the music of Mega Man X series, but regardless both series had great music.

When I think of Duck Tails, I think the music is memorable and well-done, but not something I would listen to for just itself. But I won't deny the feeling in my stomach when I hear that music, major nostalgia rush.

kissthebottle

Apr 5, 2015
The Tony Hawk games are obviously great games. But I often recall in my youth, firing up the games and free skating just so I could listen to the music. It was before the time you could just download a single song off the internet or listen to it on Youtube. And being in the middle of nowhwere in country-ass Pennsylvania, it was really hard to come across all the punk and hip hop records from those artists. It's kind of funny to think about how often I would do that versus now and how easy it is to access music. I feel like those games definitely played a pivotal part in my life considering how important music is to me, especially considering punk is a HUGE part of my life...like my best friends, a lot of my design work, and what I choose to do with my free time comes from that scene. Soooo... thanks Tony Hawk?????

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Every now and then, I whip out Gravity Rush just to fly(well, fall) around Old Town, or the Pleasure Quarter. That music just does it for me in the same way Kat's exclamations can embarrass if I'm in public(seriously, if you play it in public, turn the volume down or wear headphones). Beyond that, I'll play the Personas just to listen to the music as I walk around Inaba, Sumaru City, Mikage Cho or Tatsumi Port Island. Can't go wrong with a Shoji Meguro.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Ar Tonelico is serviceable, and even memorable in some parts(particularly the VN sections), but there are definitely better JRPGs out there. But... well there's this:

UndisputedX

Apr 2, 2015
The soundtrack in skyrim makes me forget how annoyingly long it takes to load the game, if that counts lol. I recently watched my brother play ac2, and the soundtrack brought up good memories so I played it again. Umm, the witcher 2 has a great soundtrack but thats not the main reason I played it. Otherwise I don't have any games that I play just for the soundtrack.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You know what else has a great soundtrack? The Community Gallery of the Day! This thread made it this week, so enjoy your badges, and check out the gallery here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/galleryoftheday/13796-8-Games-that-Have-the-Best-Soundtracks

Thanks for the awesome thread!

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Definitely Sonic Generations, Person 3 Portable, and Skullgirls.

Despite these games requiring some degree of concentration, I can't help, but get lost in the awesome melodies that make a big fraction as to what makes these games so great.

Also, when the hell are they going to release a new Skullgirls OST? I want all the new tracks that appear from Squigly onward.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I could play Halo Wars just for the soundtrack. I love that it apes the style of the shooter soundtracks while definitely standing on its own (which is more than I can say for Halo: Reach). That way I'm fiddling about with statistics promising myself that I will stop any minute now while soaking in the lovely main menu music, and the in-game music is really nice, too, which is nice seeing as I'm so bewilderingly shit at Halo Wars online.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
If I wanted just the soundtrack I'd just listen to the soundtrack.

The only exception is Rez since the big appeal to the game is you MAKE your own electronic soundtrack through a rail shooter mechanic, and it's actually a lot of fun.