Are These the New Stormtrooper Helmets for Star Wars: Episode VII?

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Are These the New Stormtrooper Helmets for Star Wars: Episode VII?

New images reportedly of the Stormtrooper and "Jungle Trooper" helmets have surfaced online. Is this what the Imperial Forces will look like in Star Wars: Episode VII?

Website Indie Revolver has recently posted "very reliable information" that show what appear to be the new Stormtrooper helmets for Star Wars: Episode VII. As you can see, the helmets are a bit more streamlined from the previous incarnations, and, as pointed out by Indie Revolver, the helmet is asymmetrical with a single breather/vent on the bottom, left side of the helmet. The black "mouth" area underneath the white plating also appears to be a cloth mesh. Another slotted vent appears on top of the helmet's dome.

A second image was also posted, which some have dubbed the "Jungle Trooper" helmet, though Indie Revolver sees more in common with the Snow Trooper line of gear from Empire Strikes Back. This helmet has a single, thin horizontal eyepiece and what appears to be a removable face mask.

Later, a member of forum site RPF, used by movie fans dedicated to making prop and costume replicas, posted <a href=http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=164999&page=328&p=3396386&viewfull=1#post3396386> what he said was an image of a Stormtrooper helmet from an insider friend, who allowed him to leak it after the Indie Revolver story. Assuming the picture is true, it gives credibility to the new images.

What do you think of the new look? Is this what you want the next generation of Stormtroopers to look like, or was the old look best left alone?

[gallery=3011]

And if you're interested in more Star Wars news, you can check out a Man at Arms video where a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136799-Man-at-Arms-Creates-Star-Wars-Lightsaber-Katana-Hybrid>katana/lightsaber hybrid is created, or, for the skeptics, our list of ways J.J. Abrams <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/12110-Star-Wars-in-the-Hands-of-J-J-Abrams-Might-Not-Be-a-Good-Thing>could still mess up Star Wars.

Source: Indie Revolver

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, maybe slightly too few features, but I could go with those. That last pic doesn't really show much, though. :/

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
actually I do have to say, looks nice.

But does clash with the look for the new rebel x-wing.

Or perhaps that's the idea, old style rebels against advanced looking sleek empire reborn?

Edit: Also if this is true, then that means the empire will survive/return.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I don't like it but it seems legit. Way too sleek and instantly dated imo. Very "iHelmet", which fits the profile of the guy who turned the Bridge of the USS Enterprise into an Apple Store. Don't hate it any more than the Boba Fett ripoff Clone Trooper helmets though, deep inside my subconscious something cringes every time I see someone wearing one of those.

Good thing the prequels killed almost all my enthusiasm/emotion for the franchise already.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah, I'd say it's a bit too featureless for my liking. I actually like the Star Wars Legacy comics' design more since it actually looks like a sensible progression from the older design, rather than the Apple iHelmet (available starting for $499 plus tax, banned in California). To be honest they seem like designs that should switch eras, since the Legacy comics took place a full century after Episode 6 but barely look like they've been reworked, while Abrhams' iHelmet looks to be something you'd expect from 100-200 years of redesigns.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Not very scary, it looks like a cartoon character attempting to grin. The 'jungle trooper' just looks dated, like something I would draw at primary school.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
The stormtrooper one looks fine to me, very imperial and a lot better than the awful prequel helmets. I'm not really sure what to think about the jungle trooper. Is the slit for seeing or is that an eye hole on the other side? I'm thinkin the slit side is the front. I'd think they'd just use a modified stormtrooper or scout trooper helmet, but that looks totally different and somehow over-designed and under-designed at the same time.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
exobook said:

Or perhaps that's the idea, old style rebels against advanced looking sleek empire reborn?

Honestly, there's no way the Empire wouldn't have survived. A riot on the Imperial Captial does not automatically mean the Empire immediately collapses

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
They look just as uncomfortable and impractical as the original trilogy's helmets. Good job! Who needs to see through helmets, anyway?

All those worlds under its control and the Empire couldn't find a single ergonomics expert?

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
They look just as uncomfortable and impractical as the original trilogy's helmets. Good job! Who needs to see through helmets, anyway?
To be fair, the original helmets weren't much better in that regard. There's a reason the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImperialStormtrooperMarksmanshipAcademy] exists after all X3

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I agree with the iHelmet sentiment, it looks way too smooth and minimalistic for my taste, and for the aesthetics of the Star Wars galaxy. Although the question that irks me more is why there would even BE stormtroopers in a post Empire galaxy. Am I missing something?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My favourite is the third one and the second image look like it's use in snow environment. Also isn't the first image is just the third but without the lumb at where the eyes would be?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Olas said:
I agree with the iHelmet sentiment, it looks way too smooth and minimalistic for my taste, and for the aesthetics of the Star Wars galaxy. Although the question that irks me more is why there would even BE stormtroopers in a post Empire galaxy. Am I missing something?
Before Disney axed all of the EU, the Empire was still the dominant government/force in the SW galaxy for quite some time after Return of the Jedi. They didn't all just surrender to the handful of rebel ships that survived the Battle of Endor. It'd take years for the New Republic (government formed from the rebel alliance) to take Coruscant (the capital world) and to persuade star systems to join them, and even then the Empire survived and was a huge threat.

Of course what the official canon will be now, we don't know. But it is very plausible that the Empire is still a strong force in the galaxy.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
I just like to think those are sensor arrays and that there's a display inside the helmet that the trooper actually looks at. I also like to think the armor is sealed so as to provide a barrier against hostile environments (up to a reasonable point, at least).

Edit: At least on the jungle armor since the slit is so narrow. The standard helm could be regular old covered eye slots since they're at least large enough to see out of.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Combined with the pics of Han popping up, man oh man... its been hard to contain my drooling. The stormtrooper helmets, while just a simple change, look AWESOME!

But... then, I have to wonder (which has to be the OBVIOUS reason they put up these pics) why... why are there stormtroopers? Are they part of the New Republic now? IS the Empire finished? Is this an offshoot group still advocating the Empire? Hmmm... oh the delicious thoughts swirling about my head! Oh, and if someone has read something dealing with the leaked script that might actually answer some of this, I DO NOT want to know. Please spoiler tag it, because I am going to do my best to go into Episode VII with virgin thoughts. :)

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
My favourite is the third one and the second image look like it's use in snow environment. Also isn't the first image is just the third but without the lumb at where the eyes would be?
I noticed that, too. Snowtroopers and AT-AT pilots were my favorite iterations of the Stormtrooper designs, so that image was a welcome sight. To make it even more interesting, the concept designs of Han that are now out has HIM in a outfit almost exactly like the Hoth Han look from Empire. Sooooo... either a NEW cold planet or, dare I even think it... a return to Hoth???? Oh, the goosebumps I get from thinking THAT! :)

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Spaceman Spiff said:
Olas said:
Before Disney axed all of the EU, the Empire was still the dominant government/force in the SW galaxy for quite some time after Return of the Jedi. They didn't all just surrender to the handful of rebel ships that survived the Battle of Endor. It'd take years for the New Republic (government formed from the rebel alliance) to take Coruscant (the capital world) and to persuade star systems to join them, and even then the Empire survived and was a huge threat.
Except this new Star Wars movie is supposed to take place like 30+ years after the original. I know the empire didn't just immediately fold over after the destruction of the second Deathstar but for it to have lasted another 30 years really paints a pessimistic picture of the original trilogies conclusion.

Anyway, I HOPE the empire isn't in the new movie. I don't really want just another retread of the same thing all over again.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
While the Jungle Trooper helmet isn't exactly all that special I will admit the new Storm Trooper I like, seems like a natural progression from the original design.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
exobook said:

Honestly, there's no way the Empire wouldn't have survived. A riot on the Imperial Captial does not automatically mean the Empire immediately collapses
of course but more importantly the suggests the movies may be following the EU idea of the empire continuing. Meaning that we may be able to fit certain fan favourite concepts/storylines back into canon with a bit of work around