Are We Creatively Bankrupt?

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
TL;DR and discussion question is at the bottom.

This is a serious question I've been struggling with myself for quite a while now.

So those of you who are even remotely connected to consoles know that today was the release date for two particular games worthy of note: Saints Row: The Third and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.

You have one second to guess which one I am going to rail against. Time's up. You guessed correctly.

It is a disturbing trend in modern culture that those who control it--that is, the publishers (and by extension, the developers), the film makers, the media outlets, etc.--are afraid. They are afraid and frightened of anything called an innovative thought or a shred of creativity. It has literally shot my day down to depressing dumps (try saying that five times fast) to realize that Western creativity is almost dead, and while I could go on a long rant about how the increasing democratization of society and the illiberal nature of Western politics is the cause for it, I'm just going to tie this down to video games because lord knows I don't have the attention span to bother writing about it.

I hate remakes. I hate remakes with a passion. A fiery passion made of fire, generated by the heat of a million George Foreman grills shot violently into the Sun. And I hate Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary because it is a remake. And I hate you for buying it.

The only reason I'm specifically naming Halo: CEA specifically is because it's the most recent offender. Other offenders include Super Mario Galaxy 2, GoldenEye Reloaded, Tomb Raider Anniversary, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, and Conker: Live and Reloaded, among many others. Remakes represent the absolute worse thing that can happen to a culture. A culture can become depraved, a culture can die, a culture can represent everything against regularly established morals including the raping of other people with guns and switchblades, but these aren't the worse fates that can happen. The worse thing that can ever happen to a culture is for it to stagnate.

Like Mordin in Mass Effect 2 said. No drive for change, no motivation for development, no evolution. This has been a trend for a while but it's official that with all of the purchases and positive scores of Halo: CEA (which I reiterate is not the sole offender, just the most recent one) I am confident now that we have hit a brick fucking wall. The video games industry has become the worst creative medium now. Video games are nailed inside a creative coffin, and nobody is daring to try to do anything to get out.

It's the same plight that is shared by the movie industry: while less expensive than outright making a movie (usually), video games can still be an expensive venture and an investment of time and effort. Hollywood and publishers are scared shitless about new things because they care about sales. Which, in all honestly, is a reasonable concern given their business (making money).

I'm not saying that the publishing companies and developers are to blame: if anything, we, as gamers, are. Video games are at least five times more expensive than a movie ticket, so we're that much more apprehensive about anything that goes outside of the norms and might look good but play like shit. We're overly cautious in this day and age, and given the economic times we certainly have a right to be.

So for every witty, intelligent gem we get in our media, like Fight Club or Shadow of the Colossus or In Time (which, to go off topic, was sloppily done as a movie but had an intriguing and original idea) or Bastion, we get at least ten shitty knockoffs like Transformers, Jack and Jill, Modern Warfare 3, and remakes like Halo: CEA.

Take a short three minutes to look up how many games in the past five years (up to 2006) have depicted the United States being invaded by a foreign power; a single plot point. A single setting out of a myriad of things that make up a creative work, especially one as versatile as a video game. In fact, let me list them.

Modern Warfare 2.
Crysis 2. (Aliens, but still counts)
Resistance 3. (Aliens again, still counts)
Homefront.
World in Conflict.
Red Alert 3.
Modern Warfare 3.

The thing about the above games is that every single features New York being attacked and the Statue of Liberty smugly standing off in the horizon as if to not-so-subtly remind you of what's at stake. This is our culture stagnating in a nutshell. All of these games have been successful, and I'm not even going into the dreaded territory that is "Every Single Gun Sight Looks The Exact Fucking Same".

Again, we as gamers are to blame. Most of us don't even perceive how narrow our ranges have gotten. A lot of us just care about not wasting our money and getting things we like, even if they're the exact same thing from ten goddamn years ago (See Halo: CEA). That's fair. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy things you like or that you should waste your money just because something might look creative.

But there can be no denying that as gamers, we are now stuck in the creative equivalent of a Skinner box. Push lever, get pellet. Buy game, we'll get more pellets. Don't buy game, and we have to deal with spending time not playing games, or playing older games, which we seem to consider a punishment. We don't like punishment, so we push lever to get pellet. Day after week after month after year.

My point is, that I'm asking you to consider the circumstances. We've hit the ceiling of graphics, because lord knows 3D won't fucking work for another few decades and all it does is give people like me migraines. There is no ceiling for us to work to. We literally do not have any sort of creative future to look forward to.

It used to be so simple. Go back ten years and we had something to work towards. We knew we could make better graphics, and we did. But then we reached the graphical ceiling, and developers kind of looked at each other and went "Well, shit. Now what?"

TL;DR: Our culture is stagnating, as exemplified in our media i.e. movies and video games being samey and tired releases. Do you feel that creative ideas are, subtle or not, not welcome in our society given our hesitation and our acclimation to "usual" things (for example, first person shooters)? Where do you see our creative future? Do you see it breaking into something beyond mere graphics? How do you see it happening, if at all?

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
I love me a sequel or remake as much as any original work, as long as it's fun.

Part of the problem and proud.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Nah, if you want creativity and new ideas just look into the indie and modding scene, even just low budget projects. There's plenty of it around!

With those big AAA projects however we're talking millions upon millions of dollars invested into the games development. Money that investors and publishers want a return on, thus why often big budget games tend to also be the ones doing the least new and clever ideas simply for the reason they don't want to risk trying new things when there's so much on the line.

Besides, who doesn't love invading America? So far my favourite 'invade the USA' has gotta be Freedom Fighters. I'm not even American and I got all patriotic in the late stages of that game, plus it was a ton of fun. World in Conflict was also just a damned good rts as well, with some real purdy cinematics as well.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I agree with most regards, I fucking hate remakes as well. I think the movies/games that should be remade are the ones that had a good premise and potential but just didn't deliver instead remaking good/great movies/games.

However, it's not as hopeless as you make it out to be. There are still great new IPs that come out. Remember, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Batman, and Assassin's Creed are all new IPs this gen. Catherine was a unique game that came out this year. I definitely agree that we need more new IPs and sequalitis is probably the worse it's ever been, but it's not completely dead. I think TV and movies definitely have room to cater to niche audiences. Cable TV is really home for some great shows that wouldn't survive on network TV, and entry into the movie business is probably the least expensive it's ever been. Making an independent game is sadly much more costly and harder than making an independent movie.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No it's just that new creative ideas, at least as far as the entertainment industry is conerned, represent a considerable financial risk and most companies would rather invest in safe, well-worn, guaranteed money making ideas.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Jesus! Its just a remake. It's not going to kill our culture. Developers know they can't just live on remakes. They are just cash grabs that happen occasionally. They wouldn't be successful if they kept churning them out and they know it. You do in fact need to bring in something new from time to time to keep making money. Gotta have something else to remake in another 10 years after all.

BlindedHunter

Apr 2, 2010
Definitely not looking at enough games (see above) but you also are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Yes, there is some issue, but there are also sparks of creativity within these titles that are being ignored (development in graphical achievements, gameplay components, and - I'd wager but cannot say since I'm poor - subtler differences in the ways the plots are presented and used to evoke certain feelings).
And, I don't think you can so readily declare the culture stagnant. At most a possible lull. There will be a point either by economic prosperity or a jolt of energy of /some/ variety that will eventually start up the creative engines /all/ over once more.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
In short, no.

It just seems that way because you've been around for a while and seen a lot so little can suprise you now. It just means you're getting old. Get over it.

BamWam

Jun 29, 2011
I see what you're saying and yes, we don't have many original ideas, but that's because many developers have gone 'people like shooters now; lets make some more and get some quick money', and most are ones that a) Have a small budget or b) have actually run out of ideas. And what's wrong with reboots? They're good for the fans, and the devs get a quick fix of money that they could put towards their next title (Halo 4 - Woot!). And when you talk about reboots, actually find out whether it's a reboot or a sequel. Looking at your "rebooted" titles, I see Super Mario Galaxy 2 (a sequel to Galaxy) and New Super Mario Bros. Wii (a sequel to New Super Mario Bros.). I know this is just nit picking but it makes your great speech/rant less credible.

ooknabah

Jul 4, 2010
I have to take issue with the width of the brush you're using to paint everything here: You mention Super Mario Galaxy 2, GoldenEye Reloaded, Tomb Raider Anniversary, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, and Conker: Live and Reloaded- These are all very different games in terms of "re-makes"-

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a straight up sequel
GoldenEye Reloaded is a modern day re-imagining as it Tomb Raider Anniversary
New Super Mario Bros Wii is a new game based around old mechanics
Conker is an HD beat for beat re-make with new multiplayer.

Out of all of these, Conker is the least "creative", since it ads the least amount of new material to the game. The others however, while treading familiar ground, do add new variety and some fresh ideas. They are also all good games!

I think a bigger problem is the lack of creativity in GAMEPLAY- There are far too many 3rd person sandbox/1st person shooter/3rd person God of War-esque action games out there right now- I would rather play any of the previously mentioned games than the endless stream of dreck that fills these three catagories.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's all in the independents.

It's where we get a crying child crawling around his basement/shattered psyche (The Binding Of Isaac).

It's where we get a wonderfully realized alternate universe where genetics are understood and manipulated by trial-and-error magic, resulting in personal armies, bizarre encounters, ethical dilemmas, and the like (Geneforge).

It's where we get a cube of meat attempting to rescue a wad of bandages from a baby in a jar in a giant love letter to the days of Nintendo Hard (Super Meat Boy).

It's where we get brilliant ideas and carefully crafted stories to come alive in a low-budget yet still striking way (Braid).

It's where we get a twelve pound ball of tar trying to rescue his hot goth girlfriend while pretending he's in Pulp Fiction (Gish).

So yeah. Support your indies, people.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
once, a group of world famous inventors got together and officially decided that everything that could ever be invented already had been. that was about 200 years ago. we are not creatively bankrupt, people just aren't trying hard enough, we've become lazy.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I don't care as long as the game is entertaining, to a point. It can get to the level where there's too much of the same thing, of course; the Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog games stopped just short of this, for example, but then the series became almost exclusively terrible for fifteen years or so, so change isn't always a good thing, either. The point there is that sometimes it's just time to stop beating the horse and move on to something else. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking, though.

In the end I think fun is the most important aspect, not how innovative or provocative it is. The need to have the latter is why for every good independent game we have like Bastion, we have ten pretentious asshole independent developers who like the smell of their own anal waste such that they are more interested in eye-bleeding art design and twisted bullshit themes than they are making a half-decent game, and the sad thing is that there are always enough morons to say how amazing it is for doing this rather than question how useless it is as an actual game.

Which brings me to a different but related rant, video game industry: your game is ultimately useless if its gameplay is weak. No story, no character, no setting, and no gimmick can excuse it. It might make it less of a waste, but ultimately a game is no worse off for not being compelling in anything but the gameplay department, while a crappy game with really nice packaging is nothing but a missed opportunity in the end.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Oh god not another whiny "everything's the same" thread. Can't people come up with original and creative forum topics these days instead of remaking the same topics over and over again? Has the forum community become creatively bankrupt?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See what I did there? See how easy it is to accuse anyone, and anything, of being unoriginal and uncreative?

Just something to think about.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
'Original' is a funny word.
Not much developers do are deemed 'original' by the community, for one reason or another.
Also: You miss out on a lot fo great games by the way, stop being so picky and lighten up.

Is it fun? Then it deserves to exist.
I mean think about it, not every original game is good either.

May 28, 2009
sravankb said:
I find it kinda odd how there's so many people on the Escapist who favor story over gameplay.
With the recent "let's all hate Obsidian" thread hijack I must disagree on that.

OT: Yeah, you bore me OP. I'm still going to enjoy those games, and I disagree completely on the idea that they're stagnating. You ever see all the boring platform rehashes they used to churn out? This is way better, and this month has been an excellent one for games.