Are we ready for the Bidenvilles?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Not really, I just figure that since it wouldn't get passed one might as well make a gesture out of trying to be bipartisan and display just how nuts the republicans are.

Of course dems could've passed it in congress and let republicans kill it in the senate, but this way you'll at least get to see who voted against, as opposed to it being quietly filibustered out of existence.
Sure

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I mean, are there about to be tons of homeless and neither party cares to stop it, or is that not going to happen, and Democrats were just selling the joke that they are the only thing stopping imminent societal collapse?

Edit, cause I learned more: the news is reporting numbers like 6.5 million households owing 20 billion in rent. So, averaging like $3000 dollars behind. Depending on where you are, that's 1-5 months behind. Add in that there is a floor of 0 for how far behind you can be but no ceiling, the median is necessarily less than the mean. We're 1.5 years into a global pandemic, and the headline news is the impending tragedy of millions a month or two behind on rent, as though that isn't always the case anyway.

I'm sure there are exceptional cases of people unable to work who haven't been able to afford rent for many months, and I hope that help finds them, but the idea that the nation will degrade into depression era homeless camps should evictions be legal seems to me pure fiction.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What's a bidenville?
Someone was being very clever and turned bumville into Bidenville.

As for context, due to Covid there was a moratorium on evictions that was extended until July 31. The extension was challenged in court but Kavanaugh let it stand saying that further extensions had to be done through Congress. Last thursday Biden requested this moratorium be extended to December 31. So friday congress scrambled to pass a bill for extension ... by unanimous consent. This was or course doomed to fail, and congress adjourns for august i.e. they're on vacation. The moratorium is now expired, there are fears people will be evicted out into the street cuz they can't pay their rent, probably not unwarranted. Leading to homeless encampments, hence bumville → Bidenville.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

As for context, due to Covid there was a moratorium on evictions that was extended until July 31. The extension was challenged in court but Kavanaugh let it stand saying that further extensions had to be done through Congress. Last thursday Biden requested this moratorium be extended to December 31. So friday congress scrambled to pass a bill for extension ... by unanimous consent. This was or course doomed to fail, and congress adjourns for august i.e. they're on vacation. The moratorium is now expired, there are fears people will be evicted out into the street cuz they can't pay their rent, probably not unwarranted. Leading to homeless encampments, hence bumville → Bidenville.
Pretty sure it's a play on Hooverville.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think that's it. Its a reference to Hoovervilles, the huge collections of tents, temporary structures & shanty towns that sprung up during the upswing in homelessness during the Great Depression.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Pretty sure it's a play on Hooverville.
I don't think that's it. Its a reference to Hoovervilles, the huge collections of tents, temporary structures & shanty towns that sprung up during the upswing in homelessness during the Great Depression.
Ok, yeah, you're right. Still prefer mine. Cuz alliteration.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Not really, I just figure that since it wouldn't get passed one might as well make a gesture out of trying to be bipartisan and display just how nuts the republicans are.

Of course dems could've passed it in congress and let republicans kill it in the senate, but this way you'll at least get to see who voted against, as opposed to it being quietly filibustered out of existence.
The Democrats have a majority in the House and the Senate. This is what the US Constitution has to say about the filibuster:

"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings"

This is also what it has to say about budget reconciliation and the parliamentarian.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
The Democrats have a majority in the House and the Senate. This is what the US Constitution has to say about the filibuster:

"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings"

This is also what it has to say about budget reconciliation and the parliamentarian.
They have the majority thanks to the VP being the tie-breaker, that doesn't a filibuster-proof majority make. And good luck convincing Manchin and Cinema to end the filibuster.

On a slight sidenote, could someone filibuster an attempt at removing the filibuster?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

Couldn't he just extend it per executive order? Congress is a farce anyway.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Couldn't he just extend it per executive order? Congress is a farce anyway.
Sort of. The general rule is that the president should start by attempting to show how constructive, agreeable and consensus-building they are by trying to work with Congress. And then eventually after a year or two of obstruction they get incredibly pissed, and that's the point where they circumvent Congress with EOs.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Sort of. The general rule is that the president should start by attempting to show how constructive, agreeable and consensus-building they are by trying to work with Congress. And then eventually after a year or two of obstruction they get incredibly pissed, and that's the point where they circumvent Congress with EOs.
Yeah, I know that is the general way of doing things and that Biden wanted to ''work with republicans''(or something like that) but it's obvious by now that the republicans are just a PR machine for Trump and only exist to sabotage the dems. Any attempt at collaboration is as futile as hoping Trump wouldn't overturn obamacare or the Iran deal the first opportunity he got. At this point Biden should just govern in the interest of his people and fuck congress.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Yes, after the midterms when the Rs take back congress so nothing can be done except EOs. Then centrists can have more ammo in saying why nothing is getting done.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
And good luck convincing Manchin and Cinema to end the filibuster.
Manchin and Sinema are Democrats who received lavish funding from DNC, DSCC and so on to get elected.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
At this point Biden should just govern in the interest of his people and fuck congress.
He'd rather lean on a flimsy excuse for not doing so because he didn't really intend on it in the first place. Whether it's the Parliamentarian, Joe Manchin, Republicans, whatever. His proposed legislative agenda is not seriously pursued; it may as well be an illusion.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
He'd rather lean on a flimsy excuse for not doing so because he didn't really intend on it in the first place. Whether it's the Parliamentarian, Joe Manchin, Republicans, whatever. His proposed legislative agenda is not seriously pursued; it may as well be an illusion.
I certainly think virtually every policy concession Biden made to the US left was made in the sure knowledge it would never get through Congress. The Democrats would neuter half of it themselves (Manchin, Sinema, etc.), and the Republicans would kill the rest.

Which is sort of part of the point. Progressive Democrats need to take over Congress, not win the presidency - because Bernie or whoever will replace him as progressive figurehead would have their agenda killed just as readily.

If the tribalism could somehow be tamped down, ironically I think the progressive Democrats could actually find common ground and get more done with Trumpist Republicans than they could from the Democratic corporate right.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If the tribalism could somehow be tamped down, ironically I think the progressive Democrats could actually find common ground and get more done with Trumpist Republicans than they could from the Democratic corporate right.
That depends if they're progressive or "progressive". There's an obvious irony in the most "progressive" people talking about slavery in the terms of original sin that we all must bear in perpetuity.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I mean, are there about to be tons of homeless and neither party cares to stop it, or is that not going to happen, and Democrats were just selling the joke that they are the only thing stopping imminent societal collapse?

Edit, cause I learned more: the news is reporting numbers like 6.5 million households owing 20 billion in rent. So, averaging like $3000 dollars behind. Depending on where you are, that's 1-5 months behind. Add in that there is a floor of 0 for how far behind you can be but no ceiling, the median is necessarily less than the mean. We're 1.5 years into a global pandemic, and the headline news is the impending tragedy of millions a month or two behind on rent, as though that isn't always the case anyway.

I'm sure there are exceptional cases of people unable to work who haven't been able to afford rent for many months, and I hope that help finds them, but the idea that the nation will degrade into depression era homeless camps should evictions be legal seems to me pure fiction.
What? Please go get your talking points again, there already has been a massive increase in homelessness. You’re supposed to be blaming democratic mayors for not harshly penalizing it, thus leading to massive tent cities in the Bay Area, PNW, LA, etc. It’s a massive part of the talk radio cycle already, and pretty sure the current total homeless population is less than the number you cited up there.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
What? Please go get your talking points again, there already has been a massive increase in homelessness. You’re supposed to be blaming democratic mayors for not harshly penalizing it, thus leading to massive tent cities in the Bay Area, PNW, LA, etc. It’s a massive part of the talk radio cycle already, and pretty sure the current total homeless population is less than the number you cited up there.
Homelessness from 2019 to 2020 increased 2%, which only further highlights the failure of allowing lawless tent cities to expand despite their not being a massive increase in homelessness. You decided to argue against talking point I didn't make instead of me, and you still missed the mark.