Are we ready for the Bidenvilles?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Unless the EO were permitted to remain active until it exhausted appeals: if the executive just wanted a few more months and it would take that long to exhaust appeals, it's a valid (if slightly dirty) tactic.
Really depends on which judge ruled on it and trump did get to put in a lot of judges. Plus, since the supreme court already said they thought any further extension would have to go through congress, even a friendly judge might rule against an EO.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Really depends on which judge ruled on it and trump did get to put in a lot of judges. Plus, since the supreme court already said they thought any further extension would have to go through congress, even a friendly judge might rule against an EO.
Yes, I agree. I think even a left-friendly judge would shut that EO down pronto.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And your better solution is what exactly?
One does not need a better solution to identify when a claimed solution is a lie.

Anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes considering the issue of homelessness understands that there are problems that cannot be solved by throwing money at housing and healthcare. The US has more than sufficient resources in those fields already, but making enough houses will never make people choose to live in them.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
by throwing money at housing and healthcare.
The actual suggestion was "improving access to free or affordable healthcare". This is not the same as throwing money at it: it might as easily be reforms to reduce the grotesquely inflated costs of US healthcare, thus allowing the same or less money to go a great deal further.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
The actual suggestion was "improving access to free or affordable healthcare". This is not the same as throwing money at it: it might as easily be reforms to reduce the grotesquely inflated costs of US healthcare, thus allowing the same or less money to go a great deal further.
I love that you are so full of hope that you think this is a direct address to what he meant. No, the talking point is that some people just wanna be homeless and our society already does as much as is necessary to help them out, too much in fact. That’s why we need to bring back vagrancy laws.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I love that you are so full of hope that you think this is a direct address to what he meant. No, the talking point is that some people just wanna be homeless and our society already does as much as is necessary to help them out, too much in fact. That’s why we need to bring back vagrancy laws.
Due credit, you're a lot closer to understanding me than Agema. I would not say society does as much as is necessary or too much in fact, but rather that there is nothing more you can do with more money. If someone says they could solve homelessness with X dollars, they're just ignorant. The vast, vast majority of the homeless are people with debilitating mental illness, people with crippling addictions, or runaway youth. The care and shelter that these people need exists, and they've chosen to reject them. The things society needs to do to address their choices are not things that can be done with more money. You can make all the care in the world free and abundant for a schizophrenic, if their disease causes them to reject help, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Ravinoff

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Is this the point I get to say "told you so" again? Because I think it's the point I get to say "told you so" again.

Because I did. Tell you so. So after a thorough and exhaustive analysis of all available facts, the only possible conclusion is yes, I did indeed, tell you so.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Yes as a counterfactual Trump likely wouldn't have done much either, but Trump isn't in office, Biden is.

If tens of millions of people go out on the street, that's all on Biden. He is more concerned about maintaining the unequal system and being nice to republicans than he is about millions to tens of millions of Americans.

I am hoping he changes his mind on the eviction moratorium, but if he doesn't Bidenvilles will spell the end of the democrat's aspirations in 2024, and likely 2022.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA

I love how you try to come across as some learned expert on things with which you very obviously have zero practical experience and even less actual interest.
I mean you’re right but you’re quoting a part where he makes an accurate (enough) statement with an absurd conclusion (the mental illness one is misleading, but the rest is accurate enough). The issue is assuming you can’t help addicts or “troubled teens” with resources and systemic solutions, which is empirically false. You can, our solutions just tend to be putting those people in worse situations because we refuse to trust them.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Due credit, you're a lot closer to understanding me than Agema. I would not say society does as much as is necessary or too much in fact, but rather that there is nothing more you can do with more money. If someone says they could solve homelessness with X dollars, they're just ignorant. The vast, vast majority of the homeless are people with debilitating mental illness, people with crippling addictions, or runaway youth. The care and shelter that these people need exists, and they've chosen to reject them. The things society needs to do to address their choices are not things that can be done with more money. You can make all the care in the world free and abundant for a schizophrenic, if their disease causes them to reject help, it doesn't matter.
I too remember the parable of the good samaritan where Jesus taught us that the injured man should be left to die on the roadside because there was an inn a few miles away he should have crawled himself towards instead of being lazy and choosing to lie there.