Are you a moral or immoral online player?

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I've noticed over the years that morals in online games has been in decline.

By that I mean I seem to come across more and more immoral players in competative play where no mater how chivalrous I act in a match, they will continue to play dirty time and time again.

What I'm trying to say is this: I am a very chivalrous player who will honour someone in a fair fight. I don't camp. I will not spawn kill if it can be avoided and I very rarely give the impression that I'm playing unsportsmanlike. I won't "trap" other players in corners, team kill just to collect a better weapon; or make the first T-bag.
I didn't even use stopping power on CoD as I thought it was overpowered, I always drive the vehicles for the benefit of the team in Battlefield/ Halo and in MMO's I always avoided using overpowered means to win a PvP match. If I learn in a strategy that a single unit is overpowered, I'll also be reluctant to use it.

But do I stand alone?

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Haven't seen any change in that behaviour.

Spawnkilling and corpsecamping in WoW was common as long as I remember. Stranglethorn always was a PvP area.

"I learn in a strategy that a single unit is overpowered"
I use it to win. I hate losing. Obviously I wouldn't cripple myself. Balance never is my fault, it is the developer's fault. I use what I get.

If a game is imbalanced, I don't play it (which is why I only play Blizzard games and DotA/LoL.)

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
I try to be the biggest goodie goodie possible because it helps me feel good about myself, though if the game actively encourages "the smack down" or whatever, then I'll go ahead and play that way. If I'm roleplaying a character that's not so nice I might consider being more underhanded.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Major example I can think of is in TF2. I try not to use any weapons I feel are overpowered. Only problem with that is the number of weapons I'm banning myself from is rapidly increasing. Not helped by me sucking at the game.

But I generally play fair. Try not to camp or spawncamp or any of that.
Slightly off topic, if you're passing by a spawn point and a guy runs out, is it fair to kill him? 'Cause if you do, it seems harsh but if you don't he kills ya.
It's always been a grey area for me.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Multiplayer has always been full of dicks. Maybe you're just noticing them more now. More complex games give players more complex ways of being dicks afterall. (i try to be nice online though, even if it gets me killed a lot :( )

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Dyme said:
Haven't seen any change in that behaviour.

Spawnkilling and corpsecamping in WoW was common as long as I remember. Stranglethorn always was a PvP area.

"I learn in a strategy that a single unit is overpowered"
I use it to win. I hate losing. Obviously I wouldn't cripple myself. Balance never is my fault, it is the developer's fault. I use what I get.

If a game is imbalanced, I don't play it (which is why I only play Blizzard games and DotA/LoL.)
Why did you do that? It has taken me years to get over the days of Ganklethorn Vale on a PvP server, and now all the memories and horrors have come back.

OT: I will shoot people in the back, but other than that I'm fairly chivalrous. I won't camp a spawn point, but I won't avoid it, I'll kill people as I walk through it and be on my merry way.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Yeah, I'll be honest, I've never seen this issue. Sure, I notice particular dicks when I'm playing, but mostly it's just bad sportsmen screaming "FUCKYOUFAGGOT!!!!!!" into my ear over and over again - I don't like bad sportsmen. If I notice games with particular balance problems, however, I don't play them. Otherwise, I'm pretty amoral.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I generally play in a manner which I believe is fairest. I always concentrate on the game at hand, won't do any corpse defiling and don't yell into the microphone, however I won't avoid things that give me an advantage. It's competitive multiplayer, I'm competing, I'll take advantages where I find them, be it noticing one weapon is slightly more effective than the other, or the few occasions I manage to get a killstreak bonus.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I never spawn/camp kill but I do play overpowered classes in MMO's.

I've always played a healer.

For those that don't play MMO's there are times and certain games where healers are more or less walking gods.

A well played healer can't be killed one on one unless the person attacking them knows there class.

Example in WoW. I had a Shaman healer in WSG and a Rogue kept trying to attack me. He was easily tricked with fake casts and he rarely stunned so it made my life easier and his a lot harder. 2 games later I came across another rogue that wasn't quite so easily fooled and knew how to time his stuns for better effect i.e not when i'm full health and I won't be casting anyway.

He still couldn't kill me but he kept me from healing my team until either he had a bit of help or I did which is more or less keeping a healer out of the game.

Rift is another. Clerics, when I played at the start, really were gods. I have no idea if they changed anything recently though. At the start of a match i'd run to the centre where the fang was and soak up whatever damage their team could throw at me while healing myself. Played a Bard aswell. We had 3 bards in one match and it was like no one was taking damage with all that cadence flying around. I do believe Bards were fixed in an earlier patch but I can't say for certain. I didn't play it for long.

Problem is I don't play healers because they are overpowered i've just always loved healing in MMO's. People think we play them just because they are hard to kill but i really do find them fun. That and i'm shit at tanking and don't enjoy DPS much.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Moral. I do not partake in any camping (mostly spawn camping), I honor a melee fight in TF2, I be the healing class if needed (which usually is, since no one wants to play the healer). I don't mind being the guy who gets the short end of the stick, so long as my team wins anyway.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Moral? Me? Nah. Depending on the map and my mood I sometimes camp (including care package camping), and I ambush people a lot (waiting around a corner if I know someone is coming). Also depending on my mood, I can sometimes horribly abuse perks (Marathon, Lightweight, Commando anyone?).

On the other hand, I never teamkill or spawnkill, and I heal/revive other players when I can. Oh, and when playing I try to keep the objective in mind. Also, no verbal abuse, no teabagging. I just do whatever it takes to win.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I try my hardest to be "moral". You know, go for the objective, avoid overly cheap methods, co-operate and communicate with the team, share resources and all that.

That said, if someone antagonizes me I will cheerfully ruin their day. Refuse to heal/revive, leave them to the tank, mine the helicopter, rage the fleshpound, uber them then turn it off when they charge... you name it.

I draw the line at cussing/verbal abuse though. That's for kids.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
I always play the objective in CoD, learn the instances before I tank them in WoW and make sure my team gets the job done.
I will not tolerate idiots trying to ruin my fun, that's why I have a job.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
It kinda makes me feel like an old man going "back in my days, online gaming was about fun, there wasn't a shit ton of ppl on so ya enjoyed setting up matches and playing, now it's all about whinny bitches and douche bags every online game" but sadly it's how i feel. I remember playing ghost recon on xbox and finding the same groups of ppl to play with for hrs on the weekend, no1 shit talking, ppl working as a team during fights. Occ you'd get the T-bagger/spawn killer but ppl would just promptly boot'em next match.

Now it seems everything is just about being the lone wolf, biggest dick possible when it comes to online gaming and for no reason at that. Dark souls started out with a good pvp community, now it's just filled with ppl who whine every time they lose a match. Playing an FPS 90% of the time has to be done with muted mics, and MMO's are plagued with ppl who only care about gear and give ppl who don't stack to their standards no chance, even when it' not needed. ; ; so sad to see, it's amazing how fast online gaming declined.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I went from using only what I deemed was fair to being a huge griefer to just doing what I want. I now only trap people in corners if they annoy me on purpose.
Case in point: I called a care package in Black Ops and then died. A guy said he'd mind if for me until I got back. It was the chopper gunner thing. I said thanks Nd ran back on my next spawn. I was just almost there when he captured it in front of my face. He laughed and ran off and hid in a corner to use it. Well, I stood in front of him for the next 5 minutes[footnote]Which was lucky. Seemed like forever until someone found us.[/footnote] until we both got killed.
Anyway, I now use any tactic and weapon combination I want. If it's in the game on purpose (so that excludes bugs and glitches), it's fair game for me to use. Sure, things annoy me (like the people who lie down before shooting you), but I don't care. I can do it too. I just don't.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
I try and play nice, but if someone on my team, is that guy who runs around Halo with a shotgun and a sniper, I will plasma him, if I have a higher score than him. I am still looking for a well balanced game, and for a time, sort of found one, Fronlines: Fuel of War, somehow, I found it to be one of the most balanced games out there. Unfortunatly the online comunity started to die, there'd be three games running, and only about 12 people in each, so I got rid of it.

Also I am going to go out on a limb and say this, but I found CoD BlOps to be one of the more balanced CoD games, even if the spawning wasn't well implemented. Let me explain, I only ever used the Famas with a circular Red Dot Sight, but later upgraded to the AUG with the Acog Sight. I have never been any good at CoD, I could never get more than 12 kills on CoD 4 or WaW, and rarely got past 14 kills on MW2, but in BlOps I can perform just as well with my loadout, as people who camp everywhere, or people with the Ghost perk with silenced weapons can, and now I can complete matches regularly scoring 16 - 19 kills. But is this a sign of a better, balanced game, or a game that has been made too easy, and too accessible, to people who are rubbish at online play.