Are you a Rocker? (Rock Band / Guitar Hero)

Brainpaint

Sep 28, 2011
I used to be pretty good at Guitar hero but I'm seriously out of practice. I tried playing it again after a two year break and I was a total mess, not just me, either. Everybody at the sleepover/party forgot how to play! It was less a case of who was better at playing and more a case of who could re-learn it first. Lol.

Jusey1

Dec 17, 2013
Shpongled said:
Balimaar said:
Rocksmith. :D

I was given an electric guitar for my birthday with this 'game' and have actually been learning how to play :D
Gotta go with this. You can get a real guitar for not much more than the cost of a guitar hero guitar, Rocksmith is far more complete and comprehesive than any guitar hero or rock band could ever be, AND when you can finally master those songs on expert, you'll actually have a half-way worthwhile talent.

I've been playing guitar for over 10 years and Rocksmith is still very useful to me, also been playing it with a friend of mine completely new to it, and he's making faster progress than i ever did. It's also a solid, enjoyable video game to boot.
I strongly dislike when people try to pull these things off...

Firstly, Rock Band 3 does have a Pro Mode and Pro Guitar which is a realistic 6-string'd guitar which can be used to learn how to play certain songs. I actually have a few Beatles songs with Pro Guitar so I think learning Beatles songs would be pretty cool but honestly... I don't care. I'm not into playing real instruments or anything like that.

I have RB3 and Blitz just to play for fun and rock out. I don't care about playing real instruments at all.

Artemis923 said:
There isn't enough black metal on Rock Band to keep me interested for very long. That being said, it's pretty awesome it's on there in the first place.

Besides, there are no limitations if you play the real thing.
No limitations for me on RB3 honestly... Also, black metal? (Metal is metal to me no matter what. I don't go into a sub-genre of metal).

w9496 said:
My instruments are starting to die though. I had to retire my Rock Band 1 Stratocaster about a month ago, so now I'm stuck with the Xplorer from Guitar Hero 2.
I actually am planning to get an Xplorer. They are the best guitars from what I've heard and definably lasts the longest.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
That is one of my family's favorite games to play on family game night. I'll play anything but drums, or I'll fail every song. I'd normally be lead guitar while my mom played drums or bass and my dad would sing or play bass. We even put the mike on a stand and try to sing and play at the same time, which is a lot harder than professionals make it look. Even with a squeaky simplified plastic guitar.

I also like to brag my mom is more hardcore than my friends because she can play on hard while most of my friends play on easy or medium. If I practice I can play on expert, but it's been a while so I'd have to stick to hard until I warmed up.

Jusey1

Dec 17, 2013
TehCookie said:
That is one of my family's favorite games to play on family game night. I'll play anything but drums, or I'll fail every song. I'd normally be lead guitar while my mom played drums or bass and my dad would sing or play bass. We even put the mike on a stand and try to sing and play at the same time, which is a lot harder than professionals make it look. Even with a squeaky simplified plastic guitar.

I also like to brag my mom is more hardcore than my friends because she can play on hard while most of my friends play on easy or medium. If I practice I can play on expert, but it's been a while so I'd have to stick to hard until I warmed up.
I agree with this quite a lot... Rock Band 3 is the only game that pretty much my family will actually play together!

As for guitar playing... I'm normally on expert or hard. Depends on the song. I cannot stand doing easy or med at all... Speaking about singing while playing an actual instrument... I've been wanting to get a custom of Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" completed and see if I can pull off the same thing he did with that song while playing LIVE... XD

Morthello

Aug 1, 2011
Country
United States
I bought Rocksmith 2014 and a guitar about a month and a half ago. Never played guitar before hand. Been loving it so far.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Jusey1 said:
w9496 said:
My instruments are starting to die though. I had to retire my Rock Band 1 Stratocaster about a month ago, so now I'm stuck with the Xplorer from Guitar Hero 2.
I actually am planning to get an Xplorer. They are the best guitars from what I've heard and definably lasts the longest.
It's not a bad guitar, but I had become so accustomed to the Stratocaster that it's hard to get excited about playing on anything else.

I suppose I should just be happy that I'm not stuck with one of the detachable neck guitars. I've heard that many of them have just stopped working in the past few years.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I still play drums quite regularly and am up to Expert on most of my Guitar Hero tracks. There's a few (hello, "Raining Blood") that I can barely manage on Hard with consistency still, but I've gotten pretty good for a guy who never played drums before getting the silly little kit with my game. I can usually slam through just about anything on Bass or Guitar on Expert mode as well. I'm definitely one of "those guys" when it comes to these games though. I play it for fun in my own spare time and not just as a party game with friends.

Sparky184

Dec 23, 2010
I'm a massive fan of Phase Shift which is a RB/GH clone, and some guys over on the Frets on Fire forum ported over all the GH and RB songs, pretty much making it the ultimate Rock Band/Guitar Hero game. I play it quite often, about 30+ minutes a day, and I play on Hard mostly, but I can do some of the easier songs on Expert.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Don't play those games that much anymore, but I'm not against throwing it on at a party. I much prefer my cello and guitar though. Recording and writing songs while being able to write strings tracks without synthing them is just so much more fun to me.

Jusey1

Dec 17, 2013
Sparky184 said:
I'm a massive fan of Phase Shift which is a RB/GH clone, and some guys over on the Frets on Fire forum ported over all the GH and RB songs, pretty much making it the ultimate Rock Band/Guitar Hero game. I play it quite often, about 30+ minutes a day, and I play on Hard mostly, but I can do some of the easier songs on Expert.
Most of the Frets on Fire stuff are guitar only though...

I'm sticking with Rock Band 3 and happily getting awesome full band customs from C3 group! They too are porting everything from other games into RB3 as well.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Would probably still be playing these games if I didn't lose the middle part for my Ions, and then the next day for some reason not caring to replace it. I loved those things to death.

It actually may be somewhere in my shed, but I think that's stretching. I'd need a new pedal (because the default Ion one yuck) and a new copy of RB3, at least. Worth a look one day.

I did try to get into keyboards and man that shit has a learning curve.

Also Xplorer is master race guitar.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I used to be quite great at Guitar Hero. I had GH3 and loved the rock music. I used to play quite a bit, but I had to sell it, I needed the money. But also I found it a bit boring after a while, especially on my own. I'd like to play it again someday with a bunch of friends, but by then I might be rusty and not able to conquer hard mode D:

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Shpongled said:
Balimaar said:
Rocksmith. :D

I was given an electric guitar for my birthday with this 'game' and have actually been learning how to play :D
Gotta go with this. You can get a real guitar for not much more than the cost of a guitar hero guitar, Rocksmith is far more complete and comprehesive than any guitar hero or rock band could ever be, AND when you can finally master those songs on expert, you'll actually have a half-way worthwhile talent.

I've been playing guitar for over 10 years and Rocksmith is still very useful to me, also been playing it with a friend of mine completely new to it, and he's making faster progress than i ever did. It's also a solid, enjoyable video game to boot.
I started playing rocksmith to try and learn bass myself. It turned out to be way better than I thought I just wish the DLC was better or they had a larger variety of music. Its all rock or classic rock. I want to play punk or ska or even metal.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I love playing Rock Band 3, and though I am not home right now (I'm out on business), when I get back to my PS3, I'd love to play a little bit, and my girlfriend is a bigger fan of Guitar Hero II, but she and I have a mutual agreement that Guitar Hero II is the best of the series.

So, to answer your question, Yes, I still play GH/RB. I still have a few songs I'd love to buy for RB3, for the Keyboard and Guitar peripherals.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I definitely still play Rock Band 2 from time to time. I still find it enjoyable because of the way it makes me listen to songs differently even if I already know them fairly well. It's also a great game to just pop in and get into the zone with, where you can just load up an hour long set list and go.

I tend to primarily play the guitar, though I occasionally dabble in bass. My main issue with bass being that a lot of the songs in the track list don't tend to offer much of interest when it comes to that interest. Playing the bass to a Rush song? Great! Playing it to 90% of the rest of the songs? Boooooring. I also like to try out the drums once in a while. I do love it, but I just don't seem to have the natural inclination to get all of my limbs moving separately like they need to so I am mired at Normal difficulty at best. Still, there are a number of drum tracks that I find fun even on Normal.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Eeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaauuuuuuughhhhh *gross sobbing*.

I loved the Rockband games so much, but both my guitar controllers broke. (Possibly because I played them so often...) I couldn't afford to buy secondhand RB2 controllers, and RB3 had already come out, which I also couldnt afford.

Then I was super low on money and ended up selling my Xbox360 along with most of the games... I'm still bummed about it.

Whenever I hear a Rockband song I get the urge to pick up the plinkyplonky guitars that I used to own.

So if anyone has a Rockband party in the UK, please invite me? ;o;

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Isn't calling yourself rocker for playing Guitar Hero kind of like saying you're a hunter because you're really good at Duck Hunt?

Xsjadoblayde said:
I like real instruments mainly. Muchh more freedom and opportunity. Creative outlets stop me from killing others or myself :D
I admit it's a good place to start as any other. Except an actual instrument.