Are you afraid of death?

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I'm not asking whether you're afraid of being killed, because I'm willing to assume almost everyone here doesn't like to endure pain. I'm asking whether you're afraid of your life just ending.

Obviously religious people will have different outlooks on what happens afterwards but since I'm atheist, I don't think anything happens after, everything just goes blank.

I, myself, am not afraid of death, but I'd probably be upset about all the things I didn't experience during life. If I was to be killed instantly, without pain, I don't think I'd be afraid of dying. I'd be probably still be afraid of feeling pain, but other than that, the thought of being dead would only last a few seconds before everything just goes blank.

So what's your opinion?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Honestly?

Absolutely fucking terrified. Still, I try not to think about it and get on with things. No point on dwelling on something you can't change or trying to imagine non-existence because I'd end up losing my mind.

OldBlueEyes said:
Happy Christmas & New Year everyone!
Also this.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Yes, I very much enjoy existing and there's still many things I want to do in my lifetime. Missing out on those would suck.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I'm not so much afraid of death as I am afraid of dying. The idea of not existing is okay with me. I just don't like the idea of having to think 'oh dear, I'm dying.' I'd rather just go from one state to another without being aware of it.

Alan Watts put it pretty eloquently:

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Honestly, life can get so difficult and out of control sometimes that I can't imagine being forced to deal with it for an eternity. Its not that I look forward to death I just don't want to live forever.

I am horrifically afraid of dying, as in the process of becoming dead. I have no idea what it will be or where. While in a hospital they can pump you up with so much pain killers that even the most deadly of diseases will feel like nothing. On the other hand if you are lying bleeding in the street your death could be much much worse.

Also time I die, I would at least like to enjoy my youth. Right now I'm strong, sexy, and can eat whatever I want without consequences. It would seem like a total waste of life to die young. Now when my body starts to break down thats a different story.

In the end however, no matter what happens I just don't want to die alone. I want to die wrapped in my Wife's arms in a hospital bed high as a kite on painkillers. Anything short of that dream scares me.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Right now, yeah, I'm freaked out. I don't wanna die right now! I'm just getting into the adult life, and, sadly, haven't even gotten laid XD There's too much I wanna do first. Maybe when I'm 80 or so, then I'll be happily ready to die. But for now, it's not my time, and I don't want it to be for many, many years

stevedisco

Jul 20, 2011
Afraid of dying? No. To me death is nothingness, I wont care when I'm gone, or remember the pain I have felt. But my biggest fears surrounding death are leaving those I care about alone, And dying without being remembered for something great.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
Well, no. In fact I await it with open arms. I don't see the point in living anyways, work all day, so you can have money to live, just so you can live to go to work again. "Oh but you can go out and do stuff!" What, on the week end? For two whole days? What is the point? Whatever, I hope death is a midget.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
well, I believe in heaven so no, but I don't want to die painfully, ie burned with oil to death. That be terrifying!

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Afraid of dying? No. It's inevitable, but I'm in no rush to get to the finish line.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
At times yes. I remember reading this thread that made me really think philosophically about death and I realized I am afraid to not exist. I wish to see some things that may never happen, such as space travel and off world colonization, and I understand that I will probably never see that. I have come to grips with the fact that I will die one day, no getting around it. I am less afraid of my death though as opposed to the death of others around me. I lost my dad when I was only six and now I hope that I die before a lot of my family members start going. I also hope I die doing what I love. Not from some long battle with cancer or other horrific disease.

Evil Smurf said:
I believe in heaven so no
Mate put your flame shields up.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I thikn I would be lying if I said "No" but since I am only 20 I don't think too much of this matter. So I will say "No" as my answer but then again I am not sure, haven't been thinking about it enough to answer.
Happy New Year everyone and don't blow yourself/anyoneelse/somethingelse uP!!

Petean Mihai

Apr 8, 2011
I am not afraid of death , but what I am really frightened of is leaving someone out here ( here being my hometown ) without a friend , or a relative .

I'm fine with the idea of death because , come on , the universe is so big , and even this planet holds about 8 billion people . Our death will not make much of a difference , so it's a useless strugle. I say enjoy your life as it is ;)

Petean Mihai

Apr 8, 2011
I am not afraid of death , but what I am really frightened of is leaving someone out here ( here being my hometown ) without a friend , or a relative .

I'm fine with the idea of death because , come on , the universe is so big , and even this planet holds about 8 billion people . Our death will not make much of a difference , so it's a useless strugle. I say enjoy your life as it is ;)

the spud

May 2, 2011
Nope. There is no avoiding it, so I eventually came to the conclusion that there is no reason to fear it. It's going to happen anyway.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Not really. You lose that kinda fear when you almost die at an early age.

Besides, its an eventuality that everyone faces. Once you realize and accept that, the idea of death isnt scary at all. And worrying about it will only help to lead you to it earlier.

EDIT:

and really, religion also makes you not have that fear. I believe in Heaven, and I know my non Christian friends believe in some form or afterlife, so really when we die, well, just hit some higher plain and keep on living in a different way.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Holy ballsing fuck yes. If there's no afterlife, I'd take all the consequences of immortality over literally nothing.