Are you afraid of death?

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
No, it does not. The thought of it.... fills me with curiosity.

It's a place I've never been, that no one has told me about.

If there is an afterlife, that's wonderful, and if there isn't then it'll be the long and sweet eternal rest from life, and all of it's hardships.

I"m by no means going to commmit suicide, I'll just go when my time comes

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
I dunno, being dead is great, getting dead is crap. Not much else to say other than abridging a George Carlin joke like I just did.

Also, if I wanted to die, I would put metal wire hanging from the roof around my neck while standing on a chair and then glue my hands to my fore head. Then jump off the chair.

It be like I pulled my own head off. Really awesome way to die if you ask me.

Arphaxon

Mar 11, 2010
Xeldrak said:
I'm an Atheist....so, when I'm dead - I'm gone. I was gone for the most part of the last 13 Billion years and it didn't bother me. Why should it bother me when I'm dead?
This. It's meaningless to fear being dead, because there will be no way or ability to perceive it. If you are dead, you simply don't exist. I don't look back in horror at the eternity before I existed because I didn't experience it, and it's meaningless to me. The eternity afterwards will be the same. I'm not afraid because there's nothing to be afraid of.

Dying, and the thought of my conscious mind realising its flame is being extinguished... That terrifies me no end, however.

Jan 27, 2011
Of course I fear death. Everyone has to be a bit scared of leaving behind the only reality we know for a new one that may or may not exist (nobody knows for sure, right?)

Besides, we leave behind all the people and things we care about. That in itself is scary.

ProZack

Jun 28, 2011
No, I am not afraid of death. The only thing I would worry about how other would cope with my death. Other than that, COME AT ME BRO!

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
With the line of work i want to get into, my life having a sudden end will increase quite dramatically, am i afraid of death itself...? i don't think so

WafflesandBacon

Inspired by Nonsense
Aug 25, 2009
No, not really. I think might answer some questions I have about the Afterlife and whatnot. However, I do fear dying slowly and painfully, that's the only thing.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
stevedisco said:
Afraid of dying? No. To me death is nothingness, I wont care when I'm gone, or remember the pain I have felt. But my biggest fears surrounding death are leaving those I care about alone, And dying without being remembered for something great.
your second reason is why I plan to have an 80 foot golden statue erected on my gravesite, upon the event of my death. now please enjoy the monty python.

'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Chappy

May 17, 2010
Afraid of dieing itself no, however I am afraid of dieing alone and being alone if that makes sense.

Alordo

Mar 1, 2011
Nope. Haven't been afraid of death since I was a teenager. Nothing traumatic or anything happened. Just realized that, at present, death isn't something we can escape. It's the one inevitable thing we as mortal beings face. So why be afraid of it? Live your life each day as best as you can. Love those you love. Be happy even when life sucks. I guess it's all on how you view life. *shrug* Do I believe in heaven and hell? Yes. But I also believe we make our own destiny. And to quote Maximus from Gladiator, "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Despite everyone claiming they aren't afraid of death, they are. Everyone is. Its the unknown, and nothing terrifies human beings like the unknown.

If someone is claiming they aren't afraid of death because its unavoidable, that doesn't mean they're not afraid of death. That means they've come to terms that they'll eventually die, and probably feel more peaceful because of it. They're still afraid of death though.

Hell, thats the entire reason religion was created in the first place. To assure people that there is something after death, to uncover the veil of death and get rid of the unknown factor.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
madwarper said:
Afraid of dying? No. It's inevitable, but I'm in no rush to get to the finish line.

I'm glad someone posted this.

In any case, I want to (after much thought) join the Royal Marines, so my fear of death is about as dealt with as it'll get (though obviously I still have the human instinct to avoid it like Hell)

What I'm really scared of though? Getting older and older, gradually losing the ability to do various things I've taken for granted through out my life. It'd start with not being able to eat certain foods, and I'd be less agile than I am now, and couldn't run as far. It'd end with not being able to go to the toilet properly, and I'd be fed through a tube. That's honestly what I fear most. With my luck, that's precisely what life will deal me, too.

Jesus Phish said:
As many have said here I'm terrified of it. I really hope I'm wrong that there's no afterlife.
Despite the fact that I'm an Atheist, deep down I hope that in death you're A) in a perpetual dream, able to explore all the dreams you've had at will (it would explain the nature of dreaming an awful lot, too) like a never ending lucid dream. Or B) reincarnated.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I dont think I like the sound of an afterlife, im not into the whole live forever thing, would get pretty dull after a while, also if it where heaven it would be really awkward cus I dont belive in god. ALso why is satan the bad guy if he punishes evil people, that sounds like a pretty good thing to do!

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Yes. Yes I am. And I've come close to dying often enough to know just how much it scares me.

No fear of pain/injury though.

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
Pretty much. Its just so much for the human mind to comprehend I reckon. Until someone dies, and then comes back to life and has a damn good memory, we'll never know. (Thats probably not a possible experiement but what the hoo har)

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
kortin said:
Despite everyone claiming they aren't afraid of death, they are. Everyone is. Its the unknown, and nothing terrifies human beings like the unknown.

If someone is claiming they aren't afraid of death because its unavoidable, that doesn't mean they're not afraid of death. That means they've come to terms that they'll eventually die, and probably feel more peaceful because of it. They're still afraid of death though.

Hell, thats the entire reason religion was created in the first place. To assure people that there is something after death, to uncover the veil of death and get rid of the unknown factor.
You actually make a valid point, people are afraid of the unknown, and I obviously can't be 100% sure that there's no afterlife, but I do have a lot of confidence in what happens after you die, and since I'm pretty adamant that there's nothing after, I'm not really afraid of death.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Death is a-okay.
The process of dying sounds awfully painful though.

I'll die, and there'll be nothing. And I won't even care. You know why? Because I'll be fucking dead. I wont be there to experience it.