Are you average?

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
Well according to MENSA I qualify for membership so that would put me in the 7-8 bracket of intelligence. Which my psychologist also corroborates :)

Concerning looks, I'm about 6', 170lbs. Could stand to trim up a bit, but in general non-crazy people find me attractive so I'd guess around 6-7.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
Interesting article. I'm fairly sure I'm above-average looking due to a number of factors (I like to test these hypotheseses of mine in small, somewhat manipulative ways) - I'd generally give myself about an 8 or something on good days. (Now I'm appearing to be more humble than I am - actually an 8.5) It's probably crossing a line - and blatantly incorrect - when I assume I can make 9 with several hours of grooming, though. So yep, the article's got me there.

Racism and generosity-wise, I often catch myself wondering whether I'm being racist or a jerk, and then try to self-correct. It's essentially an auto-guilt trip but it works for me. So yeah, th article's got me there, too.

Intelligence-wise, I have 'objective' proof in the form of IQ test scores that I should be significantly more intelligent than the norm as well, but I still find myself looking down on people in that regard (sometimes without justification) so it's got me there as well.

Yeah, no, the article wins, but not in ways I couldn't predict due to me being as introspective as can be. Definitely more introspective than all of you lot!

...damn it!

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
well, I'm more confident than the average guy. But that doesn't say much about physical appearance. I recon I'm a pretty normal looking guy. Maybe a 6, to account for the fact that I seem to do alright.

As for intellect, I doubt I'm MENSA material, but I do think I know a bit more than say, the average American. (which is really not saying much) Again, maybe a 6.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I know I'm more intelligent than average as at school I was always near the top of the year for most subjects and now I go to a highly thought of university. As for looks, I honestly can't say as being the super-egotical person I am I view myself as being quite attractive, though I'm probably about average in reality.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
5.I know i'm racist, everyone is born to be discriminative, it's a survival mechanism.

4.I've never claimed to be nice, i realise i only care about myself (I believe everyone is 100% selfish and only cares about their own self interest even if they appear to be a kind person, so even being kind is purely selfish).

3.I'll give you No 3 as i can't tell the attractiveness of men (i'm male), however being very overweight i realise i'll be pretty low on attractiveness.

2.I know there are people much worse of in the world, however i feel like my problems are certainly above average.

1.I don't believe in free will.

Edit;
I think a good one would be that we overestimate our own intelligence, i suspect i would fit in this category.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Appearance: 4. I can't reeeeallly see myself being attractive to many others, BUT people don't cringe and run away from me, and I can look alright on a good day.

Intelligence: 7. Slightly above average I'd say.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Vault101 said:
it was however deprssing about the photo thing...because in photos I look like a god damn monster
Me too. In photos, I either look like that uncle that makes slightly inappropriate jokes, no-one dislikes him, but he's not all that popular, etc, OR, I look like I'm about to do horrible and unspeakable things to the cameraman and anyone who sees the picture.

OT: On my looks? If 5/10 is average, I'm a 4-6, on some days I look in the mirror and go "Really?", other days I kind of go "Well, well, who's that slightly more handsome than average devil".

On my intelligence? No-one I've met has ever called me less than above average. If they've evr mentioned my intelligence, it ha always been about how freakishly smart I am. I mean, sure, I'm an intelligent individual, but I think they over-estimate me sometimes because when I'm thinking academcially, I tend to talk really eratically and disconnectedly in a way that makes me seem smarter than I am (not on purpose, just a by-product of me being weird).

MetaMuffin

Feb 2, 2011
Intelligence can fluctuate throughout a person's life, so it's difficult to measure. I'd say my intelligence has been gradually increasing as I've progressed through my educational career. It's important to consider that some standards for assessing levels of intelligence are also flawed, such as GPA, standardized test taking, ect. Overall, I'm above average in intelligence, but not by a lot. I've done well in school and scored "above the average" on the ACT. I think intelligence is really hard to define, as level of effort plays a huge role in most of academia. The only real way to know where you rank in intellect is by taking an IQ test. However, I don't think a high IQ score necessarily correlates to a high level of success; I have plenty of friends that are close to genius level in IQ, yet squander their abilities. Intelligence is a difficult thing to define, and because of this people often rate themselves generously. Also, an interesting tidbit, in an abnormal psych. discussion we learned that the average intelligence, according to national IQ standards, has been rising over the passed 30 years or so. This means the legitimacy of current IQ tests needs to be brought into question.

I'm good looking; 5'10, athletic build, orthodontist-made smile, and a nice face. I could always be a little taller or bigger, but I'm a 7. I lack confidence though, and that bumps me down to a 5 or 6 for most women.

I found the sections on freewill and racism to be pretty intriguing. These issues are discussed a lot in social science classes, such as psychology and sociology. I find this stuff fascinating, thanks for sharing the article.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
And this thread is the absolute demonstration of the things that the Cracked article talked about. I'm one of the few people who considers himself distinctly below-average in one area, even if I've probably completely overstated myself in another.
Of course it is. I imagine the layman is bound to point out that the article doesn't apply to them, while others are most likely to shrug and move on. Which makes you something of a double-oddball.

On another note, I wonder if they fine-tuned the results, seeing what people of different races and religions thought of themselves. Maybe even autistics?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Biosophilogical said:
Vault101 said:
it was however deprssing about the photo thing...because in photos I look like a god damn monster
Me too. In photos, I either look like that uncle that makes slightly inappropriate jokes, no-one dislikes him, but he's not all that popular, etc, OR, I look like I'm about to do horrible and unspeakable things to the cameraman and anyone who sees the picture.

OT: On my looks? If 5/10 is average, I'm a 4-6, on some days I look in the mirror and go "Really?", other days I kind of go "Well, well, who's that slightly more handsome than average devil".

On my intelligence? No-one I've met has ever called me less than above average. If they've evr mentioned my intelligence, it ha always been about how freakishly smart I am. I mean, sure, I'm an intelligent individual, but I think they over-estimate me sometimes because when I'm thinking academcially, I tend to talk really eratically and disconnectedly in a way that makes me seem smarter than I am (not on purpose, just a by-product of me being weird).
intelligance is a funny thing, because I think peole can "come across" as intiligent, you know if they use the right words, where is as others coem across as dumb

id say, impressions aside down to the brass Im average intelligence, however....yeah I somtimes think Im smarter than certian people

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Farseer Lolotea said:
I like to think that I'm decent-looking. If you like travel-size pale-skinned brunettes, anyway.
I like travel-size pale skinned brunettes.

OT: I look god awful am below average looks wise. On the intelligence side I might be a bit above average but I am no genius.