Are you bad at you favourite genre?

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008
This might sound stupid, but when playing DoW2 earlier today I realized, that I'm bad at strategy games, and not just DoW, most of the ones I play I generally sit there and build my nice base, just inviting my opponent in to destroy me.
Don't confuse "Bad" with, lets say, someone who can't play, I mean bad in the sense that when you go online, everyone else kicks your but to the moon and beyond, this is kind of annoying considering its my absolute favorite genre.

Now take FPS (Call of duty, CS, Not games were you have a lot of health, say, halo) games instead, I don't really like these, and rarely play them, but for some reason when I do, I'm good at them, give me a sniper rifle and people will call me a hacker, well, at least the CS crowd.

Anyone else?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Nope, I rock at Metroidvania.
Also, you might just not be playing the right strategy game for you, I prefer turn based over real time strategy because the focus is more on the strategy itself then how coordinated your clicking is.

Everyone likes doing something they know how to do well and everyone does well at something they like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyhGtKAkNTo

Jun 13, 2009
I usually play shooters, get some seriously good shots on the campaigns. My proudest moment was completing 3 levels in a row on halo 3 legendary without a single death.

Online, however, I get my ass handed to me in a shiny box.

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008
Souplex said:
Nope, I rock at Metroidvania.
Also, you might just not be playing the right strategy game for you, I prefer turn based over real time strategy because the focus is more on the strategy itself then how coordinated your clicking is.

Everyone is likes doing something they know how to do well and everyone does well at something they like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyhGtKAkNTo
Well, I am good at turn based strategy... the thing is, that genre seems deader than... anything else?
All you have to look forward to there is the remake of Military Madness, Damn, I want that game already.

If you like turn based games, have you tried Darkwind?

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I dunno. I don't know what my favorite genre is. It's either fighting games, RPGs or shmups. Of those three, two of them have an extremely high average player skill level.

So using probability math, I very likely DO suck and my favorite genre. I'd like to see the guy who can 1-credit Raystorm. Or Gradius V. Or Gekirindan.

Not because I think they can't do it, but because they probably have no life if they can. I like shmups, but I'm not one for intentionally memorizing the placements of enemies or whatever.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
I dunno. I don't know what my favorite genre is. It's either fighting games, RPGs or shmups. Of those three, two of them have an extremely high average player skill level.

So using probability math, I very likely DO suck and my favorite genre. I'd like to see the guy who can 1-credit Raystorm. Or Gradius V. Or Gekirindan.

Not because I think they can't do it, but because they probably have no life if they can. I like shmups, but I'm not one for intentionally memorizing the placements of enemies or whatever.
Do you also bother with "Infantry shmups" (Contra Metal slug etc.) or just pilot ones?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Not really, I'm pretty good at FPS games.

I kinda know what you mean though. When I was a kid, I used to love fighting games, even though I sucked at them.

OniSuika

Jul 11, 2009
I guess JRPGs are mine. I really enjoy them, but usually end up giving up 30 hours in. See Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and although I hope not, I'll probably get disheartened by Star Ocean TLH as well...

-Edit

As posts here reminded me, Beat 'Em Ups are another, especially the Soul Calibur and Street Fighter series. I suck hard at both. Especially Street Fighter.

Cuniculus

May 29, 2009
I suck so badly at RTS games, but I love them SO much. They aren't my favorite I don't think... but I'm just saying that I can relate.

I'm never terrible at a FPS, which I might have to say is my favorite.

Actually, my favorite would more likely be a TPS Stealth game, like Splinter Cell, or Hitman...

I JUST CAN'T DECIDE!

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Nope, I kick ass at 3D platformers. Although I suck at FPS. But I am great at hack n' slash. So there are some ups and downs.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I'm pretty good at playing RPGs which are my favorite genre but I'm pretty bad at RTS even though I love them.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No, I am generally so good that I don't need to cheat. That's good enough, right?

BaronXS

Jul 11, 2009
I suck at racing games, and they used to be my favorite type of game (Now it's free roam/rpg a la Prototype and FO3, I'm pretty good at them).