are you one of the users that does this?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Jack Rascal said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Jack Rascal said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Jack Rascal said:
And there definitely is a bragging right if you have a high post count. I've actually seen people admit that they do not even read posts if the user has a low post count. To some people here, if you do not post in every thread, your opinion is not valid. To all reading this, please note I said some people. No need to jump on me for this.
That's.... that's horrible.
If somebody took the time to write a well thought out post, it should be taken seriously, regardless of post count.
Maybe those people have low counts because they make an honest effort to do this.
I know. I was kind of shocked to read that people do that. And getting a high post count is really not that hard so I don't see a reason why it should be considered as some merit. Some people post on any topic and some only when they think they can contribute. Some have fantastic posts, some don't :)
I tend to look at join date as better than having a high post count...
of course I joined in 2009, so take from that what you will.

I think the high post is viewed as a merit because those people are recognizable, They're everywhere, so the community gets to know them. Generally, if you ask a person "Name the first six escapist from the top of your head." those people will probably list individuals with high post count.

(If you're wondering the first six that visit my brain are... Daystar, Hazy, Fappy, Topaz, Sassafrass, and Doclector. Phasmal, Casual Shinji, and Canadamus_prime came in also. Those names might be mostly influenced by the majority of them being in this very topic, but I'm pretty darn sure most users would at least list Daystar regardless).
I understand why some people give merit to high post count, but don't find that very logical. I recognize users, as you said, because they are everywhere but that doesn't mean I think particularly highly of them. I sometimes see the same names on every topic and know, they have nothing particularly interesting to say. Even if they're quoted, challenged to defend their opinion, they do not come back to the thread. I read a lot more than I post here and have come to recognize some people by their posts and ideas. Those are the ones I respect.
They're forum celebrities, people look up to them in the same way we do celebrities in real life. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll give you good conversation. It really depends on the person, if you can have a conversation with them or not. My sister can talk your ear off about fashion, but ask her "What wall once divided East Berlin and West Berlin" and she won't be able to give you an answer.

You don't need to think high of them. A lot of people don't think high of Kim Kardashian, but for some reason she's still in the spotlight, and ONLY in the right circles, people feel she can do no wrong.

I've found in general, this community gives pretty good conversation, even from those people considered forum celebrities. Sometimes things get pretty heated and a joker will swoop in and lighten the mood. I can respect them for that, it's better to derail a topic into pictures of Spiderman and Ponies rather then let it erupt into a flame war.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Jack Rascal said:
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:
Holy shit, quoted the wrong person again, and it was the same dude. I suck today :p
I noticed... Makes me want to take back what I said earlier. It is not me, it's you :D
Nonono, can't be. I'm perfect. Me being right is a fundamental constant of the universe; if you disprove it, existence ceases to be. Is that what you want? IS IT?!

No, I didn't think so.
I wouldn't dream of disproving it, oh heavens no. I don't take unnecessary risks. But surely I can question it? What harm can it bring, if one insignificant little girl questions your perfection?
Girl? GIRL?! I thought Jack was a man's name, with the exception of batshit crazy spacewomen with telekinetic powers! We certainly can't allow women to go around questioning things. What if they get a taste for it, and start doing it all the time? That way lies madness, and anarchy, and some other stuff that won't be much fun. Sunburn, for instance.

Shit. The internet has let me down. I was going to post a link to the old Mr Hell Show bit with the Victorian Lady Detective about why women shouldn't read in case their ovaries explode, but I can't find it on YouTube. It was very informative, but I'm afraid you'll have to live without it. Though if you're still reading by this point, it's probably too late for your ovaries anyway...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Boudica said:
SonicWaffle said:
Phasmal said:
Daystar Clarion said:
There's a direct correlation between post count size and the length of one's penis. (inb4 Hazy saying inverse in length :D)
Awww.. but I don't want a penis!
Whyever not? They're pretty cool, you can piss just about anywhere you like!
I don't have a penis and I bet I've peed in weirder places than you! I don't know why, but I'm very proud of that :D
That is

A) a pretty weird thing to be proud of, and
B) A CHALLENGE!

Do your worst!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Usually, I just shove off.

However, if the thread's topic is so spectacular, so utterly and head-breakingly WTF, I may post a picture of Ron Weasley yelling "THE F**K IS THAT? THE F**K IS THIS? THE F**K ARE YOU?!"

I'm assuming this doesn't count.

Aug 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
MelasZepheos said:
Whether you like it or not you lot do have a certain (for lack of a better word) mystique. When you join a thread you give it a certain legitimacy. If you post in a thread, people will see your name on the 'hot topics' forum thingy, and they will go in to see what you have said.
Wait, people don't do that do they?

Do they?

D:
*shrug*

Most of the time I comment on threads I like the look of or am interested in, but if I see that someone I know has posted on something I normally wouldn't go near I at least get curious enough to check out what's going on in that thread. Sometimes I find a thread that actually is interesting, and sometimes it was just a post to say 'this is irrelevant.' but I've still clicked on the thread, I've still read the OP and the subsequent posts.

And when you reach that point, the urge to add your own comment can sometimes be overwhelming. Usually I'm good at not posting if I have nothing to say, but I often find myself halfway through writing a response before realising 'what the hell am I doing? I have nothing to add.' And then I delete the post and leave.

And since the motto 'you are never the only one' has so far proved true by observation, I can't be the only one who does that.

And don't get a big head over this, it's not just you (meaning all the big name posters), although you are the names more people know. Sometimes I see people where the only connection is my friends list, and I go check out what they're saying.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
@SonicWaffle:
SonicWaffle said:
Eclpsedragon said:
This is because me and Jack Rascal are actually the same person, and you're experiencing a time paradox.
I'm not sure that's actually a time paradox. Couldn't you just be one dude with two different accounts? Let's not fuck up space-time if we don't have to, it take ages to get the mess out of the carpet.

Eclpsedragon said:
Back OT: Eh nobody mentioned me either, don't let it get to you. Even some of those I listed in my first six didn't get mentioned.
But I'm me! You know, super special and important. I'm about 87% sure that the universe revolves around me and everyone else is composed of two trained monkeys wearing a trenchcoat just to make me feel like there are other people around. It's like solipsism, but with way more monkeys. Why, you could be a monkey right now, how would I even know?!

Eclpsedragon said:
You can get away with posting a sentence provided it's on topic...
Umm don't ask how I know that, those instances aren't my happy memories.
Oh, come on, that's not fair. Now I am obligated to ask! I envision some sort of dark, devious crime. Did you go into every thread on the forum and just post the word "indivisible" in each? Not particularly dark or devious, admittedly, but hey - you might be monkeys. Maybe for monkeys that is devious.

Eclpsedragon said:
The mods will certainly hit you though for posting just an image or a one word response.
What annoys me with the images is the way people tend to add a couple of lines on as if to justify the use of a tired meme. They'll post the picture, and follow it up by basically repeating what's said in the picture, and that'll count as content.

Eclpsedragon said:
Those threads can break off into fun conversation sometimes. Obviously, you won't get any deep, philosophical reasoning from them, but if every thread was deep and thought provoking, I would feel exhausted really fast. There are a few threads that I feel have good discussion value, but fall a few pages behind because of more popular topics. I try to dig those up and post in them to give them a little bit of a second chance. Some of them have really taken off when I do that, it's good to see them become popular.
I usually take the opposite approach, and tend to only jump into the newer/lower post count threads. There's less chance of people skimming to the comment box if there's only one or two pages to read through, and if people read the posts they might actually reply and then I can have a nice or an interesting conversation.

Hmm. This, coupled with my reaction to the "name your fellow Escapists" thread, is starting to look like I have a serious and disturbing need for attention :p

Eclpsedragon said:
Downtime really doesn't make it better, I have absolutely nothing to do right now, but I'm still huddled over the computer screen, looking over my shoulder, like it's somehow a bad thing I'm on an internet forum, even though all my work is done for the moment.
That might not be the best idea, they might think it's not something as innocent as a gaming forum if you keep acting suspicious ;-)

Eclpsedragon said:
Since when is multi-tasking a ladies only thing?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7896385/Scientists-prove-that-women-are-better-at-multitasking-than-men.html

Or, to copy/paste from wikipedia,

The idea that women are better multitaskers than men has been popular in the media. Recently, a study by British psychologist Professor Keith Laws at the University of Hertfordshire was widely reported in the press to have provided the first evidence of female multitasking superiority.[22] A formal research paper has yet to be published.
It's a stereotype, essentially. Might be some basis in fact, but none of these studies seem all that conclusive.

Eclpsedragon said:
I'd start a topic to see what people say to that, but with recent trends, it would turn into a flame war and people complaining about the very thing this topic is based on.
Ugh, god, don't get me started. It seems this forum is full of people ready to take extreme positions on the whole feminism debate, from women-can-do-no-wrong to feminazis-are-evil. I've been writing an article recently about the whole "Catwoman is a *****" debacle from Arkham City, but the comments you get around here are really putting me off. Whatever I say, I'm bound to piss off somebody!

SonicWaffle said:
That's Toothless from How to Train your Dragon, and his failed attempt at a smile.

Why...why does it want me to die? It looks at me with eyes full of loathing, as if it can already see me writhing in pain in its mind's eye. It frightens me!

From a purely objective viewpoint, I'd like to say your post are slowly lapsing into complete insanity.
I have some friends with white coats that will take you to a soft squishy room if you'd just follow me right over here...

Don't worry they won't hurt you, they're my friends to. We can also be friends, I like friends.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
if i do not wish to be apart of it i do not post

that simple, i come in swipe a doughnut or ten and leave the thread occupants to wonder where all the maple bars and old fashion went

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
There's a direct correlation between post count size and the length of one's penis. (inb4 Hazy saying inverse in length :D)
Ahhhhh ... *checks post count* *closes curtains* *undresses* Hmm. Nope. Still female. Must have a long way to go yet. :p

When the eleventy billionth repeat thread appears, I sometimes just need to voice how pointless it is to make a thread that's been done the previously mentioned eleventy of the billionth time.
If it's a thread in which I've already taken part, I may post links to the previous version(s) of the thread, because quite often the advice, opinions, poll results, recommendations, creepy things [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.211546-The-scary-thread?page=1] or whatever that were requested by the OP are already available there.

Oh, hey, should I get dressed again?

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:
Holy shit, quoted the wrong person again, and it was the same dude. I suck today :p
I noticed... Makes me want to take back what I said earlier. It is not me, it's you :D
Nonono, can't be. I'm perfect. Me being right is a fundamental constant of the universe; if you disprove it, existence ceases to be. Is that what you want? IS IT?!

No, I didn't think so.
I wouldn't dream of disproving it, oh heavens no. I don't take unnecessary risks. But surely I can question it? What harm can it bring, if one insignificant little girl questions your perfection?
Girl? GIRL?! I thought Jack was a man's name, with the exception of batshit crazy spacewomen with telekinetic powers! We certainly can't allow women to go around questioning things. What if they get a taste for it, and start doing it all the time? That way lies madness, and anarchy, and some other stuff that won't be much fun. Sunburn, for instance.

Shit. The internet has let me down. I was going to post a link to the old Mr Hell Show bit with the Victorian Lady Detective about why women shouldn't read in case their ovaries explode, but I can't find it on YouTube. It was very informative, but I'm afraid you'll have to live without it. Though if you're still reading by this point, it's probably too late for your ovaries anyway...
My ovaries have not exploded! Years of evolution has made our ovaries to withstand letters, sentences and even grammar. And we shall, one day, be able to write as well! There's nothing you can do to stop us! This is only the beginning, you shall fear our ovaries in time.

Joking aside, Jack is indeed a man's name, regardless of some batshit crazy spacewoman. But I wouldn't assume your name is Mr. Sonic Waffle. At least, I hope it isn't. If it is, I think your parents took some weird shit in the 80's.

But dear god, your post made me laugh :D

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
So, I'm just gonna assume saying "This is a stupid thread and I want no part in it" would be a very lame thing to say right now.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't think I've said a thread is stupid...
I usually don't go into threads unless the headmark is interesting enough.

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
I try to keep all of my arsehole moments to myself because 'I ONLY WANT TO BE LOVED'
One thing is better than badges, one thing infinitely more collectible, that makes you 20% cooler...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'll only say so if I've seen it 3 times in a month.
Otherwise yes, I ignore it and move on.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Eclpsedragon said:
Jack Rascal said:
I understand why some people give merit to high post count, but don't find that very logical. I recognize users, as you said, because they are everywhere but that doesn't mean I think particularly highly of them. I sometimes see the same names on every topic and know, they have nothing particularly interesting to say. Even if they're quoted, challenged to defend their opinion, they do not come back to the thread. I read a lot more than I post here and have come to recognize some people by their posts and ideas. Those are the ones I respect.
They're forum celebrities, people look up to them in the same way we do celebrities in real life. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll give you good conversation. It really depends on the person, if you can have a conversation with them or not. My sister can talk your ear off about fashion, but ask her "What wall once divided East Berlin and West Berlin" and she won't be able to give you an answer.

You don't need to think high of them. A lot of people don't think high of Kim Kardashian, but for some reason she's still in the spotlight, and ONLY in the right circles, people feel she can do no wrong.

I've found in general, this community gives pretty good conversation, even from those people considered forum celebrities. Sometimes things get pretty heated and a joker will swoop in and lighten the mood. I can respect them for that, it's better to derail a topic into pictures of Spiderman and Ponies rather then let it erupt into a flame war.

I think and know so little of celebrities that I had to google Kim Kardashian :)

But I agree that this community does give a good conversation, even if I'm most of the time only reading those conversations. Escapist is my main forum I go to nowadays. There are a lot of clever people here and the place is strictly moderated. Most of the topics are discussed in surprisingly well behaved manner and I really respect that. It's the reason I signed up and stayed.

And I love it when a "heated" discussion is broken by someone swooping in with a joke :D

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal
Eclpsedragon:
I think the high post is viewed as a merit because those people are recognizable, They're everywhere, so the community gets to know them. Generally, if you ask a person "Name the first six escapist from the top of your head." those people will probably list individuals with high post count.

(If you're wondering the first six that visit my brain are... Daystar, Hazy, Fappy, Topaz, Sassafrass, and Doclector. Phasmal, Casual Shinji, and Canadamus_prime came in also. Those names might be mostly influenced by the majority of them being in this very topic, but I'm pretty darn sure most users would at least list Daystar regardless).
There is actually a thread like that open right now, and it entirely proves your point. All the guys appearing on everyone's list are those with the uber post counts, because people see them everywhere.

It's a depressing thread though - seven pages and nobody has mentioned me. I'm currently in stage 3 of the Five Stages of Grief, Bargaining - I'm willing to trade anything for recognition! Well, almost anything. Ain't nobody getting my signed Alan Moore.
Oh goodness, I JUST found this thread you mentioned (I thought you were talking about the thread Fappy made a few days ago about which Escapist you would meet IRL) I wasn't even aware there was a thread about listing as many Escapist as you can.

....I got mentioned.

Only a few times though. These people are now completely awesome in my book, you know who you are. You're awesome.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Whenever I have no idea whatsoever, I usually don't post anything, as I can contribute nothing to the conversation.
Unless I can make a silly, whether to someone or by myself, then I go ahead and do it, with an OT offering some half-brained idea I've formulated in order to make my post seem legit.
I like being silly.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I'd be lieing if I said I'd never done that, I don't do it very often though. As for the logic of it, well there is none really; it's just plain irrational behavior.
No, your game-plan is the opposite. "I'm going to stick my nose in very VERY far whether it irritates others and/or derails the thread or not." And don't tell me it ain't true. I've been watching.

OT: As for me, if I don't want any part in it, I actually don't. I've got an apathy for that.

*Rimshot!*