Are You Out of Touch With Popular Culture?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Zontar said:
Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Couldn't get into either of them, no matter how much I try I just can't bring myself to care to watch them.
I never bothered to try with those either. I may consider reading GoT at some point but I hated Lord of the Rings and I don't think boobs, dongs and, far more killing will help me out too much...well, maybe.

---

When they announced Guitar Hero Live and the bands who would be supporting Guitar Hero Now, I recognized very few by name and could only recall songs by a couple of them. I know about MCR, The Stones and, Green Day but what in the Hell is a Blitz Kid or a War on Drugs? Those bands aren't Dir en Grey, Kamelot, Dragonforce or, Helloween! Granted only one of those are old enough for people to say "huh?" and then call me old.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Johnny Impact said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've never read anything by Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Jim Butcher or George Martin.
I'll give you a pass on the rest, but THIS....THIS is a mistake. Please at least tell me you read. Not enough readers out there. Not sure there ever have been.
I do, I just never fancied borderline-YA fantasy. It's pretty much what everybody reads around here apparently, so I guess saying I've never read anything by them would come across as asking "What's a book" to most people. I like classier reads like Bukowski, Carver, Phil K. Dick, Hemingway, Lovecraft, McCarthy, Twain, Vonnegut and all those lovely chaps.
You've seen the movie Stardust though, right? It's based on a Gaiman novel. I've never read it, but the movie was surprisingly good. Dare I say kind of cute as well. And the ending almost, almost lost me though.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Frezzato said:
(is it "Re-anna" or "Ri-HA-nuh"?)
I am pretty sure it is "Re-Anna"
Source? I lived in Barbados and everyone there called her the exact same pronunciation . I mean even her teachers and School Principal pronounce her name that way.

On the topic: I am living under a rock when it comes to pop culture. I do not know any singers or new hip songs without my sister educate me about them. I do not know any new movies, tv shows, cartoons or what not. But I am well verse when it comes to anime, mangas, webtoon and videogames.
I am not really interested in these pop stuff to be honest even Game of thrones and Breaking Bad do not interest me.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Frezzato said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Johnny Impact said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've never read anything by Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Jim Butcher or George Martin.
I'll give you a pass on the rest, but THIS....THIS is a mistake. Please at least tell me you read. Not enough readers out there. Not sure there ever have been.
I do, I just never fancied borderline-YA fantasy. It's pretty much what everybody reads around here apparently, so I guess saying I've never read anything by them would come across as asking "What's a book" to most people. I like classier reads like Bukowski, Carver, Phil K. Dick, Hemingway, Lovecraft, McCarthy, Twain, Vonnegut and all those lovely chaps.
You've seen the movie Stardust though, right? It's based on a Gaiman novel. I've never read it, but the movie was surprisingly good. Dare I say kind of cute as well. And the ending almost, almost lost me though.
Nope, haven't seen it. I saw Coraline and I liked it though, that's based on a Gaiman book as well right?

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Definitely, although depending on the subject this can be largely out of choice. I mean I think on a site filled with young nerds you're going to get less of the I used to be with it [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY] response so much as people who've always been disillusioned with contemporary popular culture and the things that are held up as supposedly being representative of their generation simply continuing to be nonplussed and disinterested with what's happening around them. From an outsiders perspective 'it' has always been weird and scary. For example, fashion is for shallow cunts has never been my cup of tea so I'm not lamenting the fact that I lack a Peaky Blinders haircut, or a lovely man bag to accompany my thick rimmed faux nerd glasses, skinny rolled up jeans with no socks and flannel shirt. And on that level I think I'm now taking stock of the fact that as much we might laugh at 80's fashion there were probably a lot of people back then who didn't dress like twats mocking the trend hoppers like we mock hipsters today, yet kids will look back on this kind of thing in 20 years thinking that was the norm and that we were all idiots, all the while sporting some even worse apparel. With music I haven't listened to the radio or music channels (why do these still even exist incidentally? I feel like other people are out of touch for even still engaging in these formats) by choice for about 10 years now, so other than being forcibly exposed to 'Shake it Off' for the 50th time in the odd car ride I have no idea who's #1 or who's trendy with the kids these days and I don't want to know. But that's not to say I'm by any means averse to new music or even popular new music to a certain extent (Tame Impala are popular right?) just that with the internet I have such a wider pallet to select from that there seems no point in paying any mind to who's cracking the singles charts right now. Also reality TV is cancerous garbage of the lowest order and the fact that things like TOWIE, Geordie Shore, Made in Chelsea etc. have an audience continues to astound me, especially when even the 'reality' element of it is largely manufactured. So on those levels I'm very much intentionally keeping myself out of the loop, but being really behind on what TV shows, vidja garmes and films that are gaining traction and I might really like kinda has me worried that I'll start a conversation with someone and have absolutely zero frame of reference to what they're going on about and on a person to person level I have a hard time relating to people in general.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I actually keep up with it pretty well, except that:
-I don't use Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram, and the latter 2 I'm not even 100% sure what they do/how they work.
-I couldn't get into "House of Cards", though admittedly I find "political thrillers" really, really boring, so this show sort of had the deck stacked against it for me anyway.
-I don't have cable TV, mostly because (with the exception of Sports) there's almost no point now with Hulu and Netflix. I have no idea what the various celebrities are doing and what new reality shows there are (though I don't really care either).
-I've always preferred older music, so I've pretty much been behind on the music scene for a decade now.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Huehuehue, look at all the oldies in this thread :p

If only you people were 19 again ;3

OT: While there is a lot of stuff I've not heard/seen/read/listened, I do keep up with what's popular for curiosity's sake

For example, never seen an episode of Breaking Bad but I read a wiki on it so now I don't have too c:

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I do, I just never fancied borderline-YA fantasy. It's pretty much what everybody reads around here apparently, so I guess saying I've never read anything by them would come across as asking "What's a book" to most people..
Well said! I thought I was the only one.

It's sad how many people on this website (adults I might add) have read every last book by David Eddings yet can't even finish the Fellowship of the Ring.

Marovus

Nov 5, 2014
Does it count if I haven't seen any TV for a few years and been playing the same game (Europa Universalis IV) for half a year? Help me.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
The older i get, the more picky i get
Ironic, since i also get more easily bored

Allow me to share the hottest new pop record i totally heard on the radio: