Are you ready for free to play and mobile future?

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
According to various developers and publishers in the gaming industry, the future of gaming is free to play and mobile.
So basically free to play mobile games.
Are you prepared for this future? Do you embrace it and do you approve of it?
Or do you think that PC and console games will stick around?
Personally i am not a fan of smartphone games. I do like to play handheld games but only on dedicated handheld consoles. As for free to play, i have logged hundreds of hours into a few free to play games so i do not hate free to play games as long as the business model is fair. So i am fine with a free to play future given fair business model but no to mobile gaming.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I have always seen two HUGE hurdles that I just don't see mobile gaming overtaking. No one has had a convincing argument for either yet but if you want to take a crack at it, feel free:

#1. Battery life
The more powerful the devices are, the more battery life you need. The more powerful the games become, the more power it's going to suck up on your phone. Clash of Clans, a tiny-ass power-wise app, I can play it in 10 minute spurts for about half the day before my phone goes down. That's not me playing CoC half the day; that's the tiny spurts that it allows you to play as a relatively weak freemium game. I'd hate to see what a Call of Duty or Madden or "insert your favorite console game here" series would do to the devices. This is also assuming people are fine with draining their phone batteries and hoping that they don't need it to make an actual call if something bad happens...

#2. They're uncomfortable
I want you to grab your Nintendo 3DS and go play any game for a few hours. Go on, I'll wait here.

Are you done? This is a device made specifically for gaming and if you're like most people, you had issues staying comfortable using it for a long gaming session. Again, a device made specifically to game on isn't nearly as comfortable as a console and we're expecting cell phones, which are not specifically designed to game on, to take this market over?[/quote]

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
tippy2k2 said:
I have always seen two HUGE hurdles that I just don't see mobile gaming overtaking. No one has had a convincing argument for either yet but if you want to take a crack at it, feel free:

#1. Battery life
The more powerful the devices are, the more battery life you need. The more powerful the games become, the more power it's going to suck up on your phone. Clash of Clans, a tiny-ass power-wise app, I can play it in 10 minute spurts for about half the day before my phone goes down. That's not me playing CoC half the day; that's the tiny spurts that it allows you to play as a relatively weak freemium game. I'd hate to see what a Call of Duty or Madden or "insert your favorite console game here" series would do to the devices. This is also assuming people are fine with draining their phone batteries and hoping that they don't need it to make an actual call if something bad happens...

I want you to grab your Nintendo 3DS and go play any game for a few hours. Go on, I'll wait here.

Are you done? This is a device made specifically for gaming and if you're like most people, you had issues staying comfortable using it for a long gaming session. Again, a device made specifically to game on isn't nearly as comfortable as a console and we're expecting cell phones, which are not specifically designed to game on, to take this market over?
[/quote]

Another important thing to remember is that people (for now anyway) still want their big, bombastic experiences sat down in front of the tv on the couch. Are gamers really gonna be happy playing games like Call of Duty, or Madden/FIFA, Elder Scrolls etc on these small phone screens, when before their 45 inch tvs w/surround sound brought a better experience? Games like GTA still make a boatload of cash (even smaller series are successful eg. The Witcher), can't see companies throwing that away.

OP: The problem with the freemium model is that you know full well the big gaming companies are really gonna dick us over, we really can't trust them not to, especially as they have prior form in this regard.
I personally am fine right now where gaming mostly is - on a big tv.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Not entirely, this model is way too easy to abuse as already proven over and over again by practically every big gaming company who has dabbled in it thus far (just look at Dungeon Keeper *shudders*). I hate having to continuously pay small amounts to get enjoyment out of a game, just let me pay once off and enjoy the damn thing at my own leisure, also nothing kills immersion more than being dogged for one's credit card details. Actually now that I think of it, fuck this model.

I fear that it will also mean the death of single player gaming, because so far no effort has been made to make a great story driven (or just overall) single player game with this model (well, none that I know of haha) and, well, that's 90% the reason I love gaming gone right there then.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
tippy2k2 said:

#1. Battery life
Battery life is getting better with every generation. I have to charge my Nexus 5 every 2.5 days, or once every day if I play games on it for a few hours. I set it to notify me when the battery gets to 20%, so when it does I stop playing games on it. My phone can still last for several hours at this point if I only use it for phone calls and SMS.

Are you done? This is a device made specifically for gaming and if you're like most people, you had issues staying comfortable using it for a long gaming session. Again, a device made specifically to game on isn't nearly as comfortable as a console and we're expecting cell phones, which are not specifically designed to game on, to take this market over?
I use a MOGA Pro Power [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/controllers/propower] gamepad. it can latch itself onto any phone and is shaped like an Xbox 360 controller. There is a variety of controllers available to both Android and iOS devices in different shapes, sizes, and prices. You can also use your PC/PS3/PS4/Xbox360/Xbone controller if you wish.

On topic: Mobile gaming has great potential, but it needs the attention of some of the better developers in the industry to get some must-have games. I'm guessing that it will happen when mobile hardware will catch up with other platforms (which shouldn't take too long). Another problem is the fact that this market is full of F2P ripoffs that overshadow the few good games. I think that smartphones can replace handheld consoles the same way they replaced MP3 players. It's more comfortable when you have everything in one powerful device.

As for F2P games - I stay away from them like from a plague, waiting for it to take its toll on its victims and eventually die out like other plagues before it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's a difference in perspective ofcourse. Most companies that make games(espescially 'AAA' titles) don't do that out of love for the medium but solely to make money. Espescially for companies that are able to invest 100 million dollars or more developing a game. Now I'm pretty much sure more companies besides Konami are weighing the risks, and whether those risks are worth it.

Mobile 'games' are an alternative for these companies b/c they can churn out shovelware at a constant rate for what is chump change for them. If you look at it from a business perspective it's easier, cheaper and with a much faster return on investment than pouring millions upon millions of dollars into a 5-year project and then waiting if it will generate a reasonable profit in the first place.

So yeah, mobile 'gaming' is 'the future' only insofar these companies are no longer willing to invest the money necessary to develop a modern console game. And that list of companies is getting shorter and shorter unfortunately.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Doom972 said:
Battery life is getting better with every generation. I have to charge my Nexus 5 every 2.5 days, or once every day if I play games on it for a few hours. I set it to notify me when the battery gets to 20%, so when it does I stop playing games on it. My phone can still last for several hours at this point if I only use it for phone calls and SMS.
Not that I don't believe you here but do you have any aftermarket stuff on it (extra capacity battery for example)? I have the Nexus 5 as well (unless there are different versions of the phone, which there very well could be) and I'm lucky if I can get a day of use out of it between going online every so often to see who quoted me (I MUST KNOW!!!), listening to Podcasts (radio dead zone in my office), and the occasional Clash of Clan fight because I hate myself.

If there are different versions of the phone, can you tell me which specific one you have?

Doom972 said:
I use a MOGA Pro Power [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/controllers/propower] gamepad. it can latch itself onto any phone and is shaped like an Xbox 360 controller. There is a variety of controllers available to both Android and iOS devices in different shapes, sizes, and prices. You can also use your PC/PS3/PS4/Xbox360/Xbone controller if you wish.

On topic: Mobile gaming has great potential, but it needs the attention of some of the better developers in the industry to get some must-have games. I'm guessing that it will happen when mobile hardware will catch up with other platforms (which shouldn't take too long). Another problem is the fact that this market is full of F2P ripoffs that overshadow the few good games. I think that smartphones can replace handheld consoles the same way they replaced MP3 players. It's more comfortable when you have everything in one powerful device.
That's fair (although you have to buy that; it doesn't come with the phone) but I am about to shift the goal posts a little on you so I apologize in advance. That doesn't take into consideration what ArcadianDrew talks about above (and something I do mean to have in that "uncomfortable use" section but I never added it from the last time I copy/pasted those two arguments); the screen's are still going to be tiny and the sound is still going to be tiny. Sure, you can plug the phone into a TV with the right attachments but then what's the point of using your phone to game on? I sure hope you don't have to make a call during your gaming session...

None of this is impossible of course; all of these hoops (including my own) are defeatable. It's just a matter of whether you're solving a problem that doesn't need to be solved.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Doom972 said:
Not that I don't believe you here but do you have any aftermarket stuff on it (extra capacity battery for example)? I have the Nexus 5 as well (unless there are different versions of the phone, which there very well could be) and I'm lucky if I can get a day of use out of it between going online every so often to see who quoted me (I MUST KNOW!!!), listening to Podcasts (radio dead zone in my office), and the occasional Clash of Clan fight because I hate myself.

If there are different versions of the phone, can you tell me which specific one you have?
There is only one version of the Nexus 5. I make sure that things that run in the background and drain the battery are turned off when I don't need them - one of which is mobile data, which easily drains the battery, especially in areas where optimal reception isn't available. You can find a lot of guides on how to keep your phone from draining its battery too fast.

EDIT: There are actually two versions of the Nexus 5: The 16GB version and the 32GB version. I use the 32GB version. There is no other difference between the two versions, so it shouldn't affect battery life.

Doom972 said:

That's fair (although you have to buy that; it doesn't come with the phone) but I am about to shift the goal posts a little on you so I apologize in advance. That doesn't take into consideration what ArcadianDrew talks about above (and something I do mean to have in that "uncomfortable use" section but I never added it from the last time I copy/pasted those two arguments); the screen's are still going to be tiny and the sound is still going to be tiny. Sure, you can plug the phone into a TV with the right attachments but then what's the point of using your phone to game on?

None of this is impossible of course; all of these hoops (including my own) are defeatable. It's just a matter of whether you're solving a problem that doesn't need to be solved.
I forgot to mention that there are phones and tablets made with gaming in mind and already have the gamepad buttons built in to them like the Xperia Play and JXD gaming tablets.

As for the screen size - I was comparing smartphones and tablets to handheld consoles (like you did with the 3DS), so screen size wasn't an issue for me. I don't claim that mobile devices can replace PCs or home consoles. However, I'd like to point out there are several ways you can get a mobile device to cast its screen on a TV/Monitor (like a Slimport adapter) and there are Android devices that connect to your TV (Like the Ouya or Nexus Player).

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
tippy2k2 said:

That's fair (although you have to buy that; it doesn't come with the phone) but I am about to shift the goal posts a little on you so I apologize in advance. That doesn't take into consideration what ArcadianDrew talks about above (and something I do mean to have in that "uncomfortable use" section but I never added it from the last time I copy/pasted those two arguments); the screen's are still going to be tiny and the sound is still going to be tiny. Sure, you can plug the phone into a TV with the right attachments but then what's the point of using your phone to game on? I sure hope you don't have to make a call during your gaming session...

Battery life is a problem of mobile gaming. Being that they are not single purpose devices, they tend to chew through it. One of the benefits of the before mentioned MOGA controllers is the built in battery for powering the phone as you play. For audio, I recommend a good stereo BT headset, which headsets are also good for regular phone use.

I myself am a fan of mobile gaming, and while there is a ton of trash out there, there are also some great games being made. While I still occasionally eye the 3DS and Vita for some of the exclusives, I don't really envy them anymore.

Edit:
Currently using a MOGA Hero Power [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/controllers/heropower] and HBS-730 [http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-accessories/lg-HBS730].

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Doom972 said:
tippy2k2 said:

There is only one version of the Nexus 5. I make sure that things that run in the background and drain the battery are turned off when I don't need them - one of which is mobile data, which easily drains the battery, especially in areas where optimal reception isn't available. You can find a lot of guides on how to keep your phone from draining its battery too fast.

EDIT: There are actually two versions of the Nexus 5: The 16GB version and the 32GB version. I use the 32GB version. There is no other difference between the two versions, so it shouldn't affect battery life.
I suppose that works but I still think battery life is going to be (for the foreseeable future at least and by the time they get that figured out, I think we'll be plugging into The Matrix for our gaming needs :D) a huge hurdle. A lot of the "battery saving guides" more or less turn your smart phone into a regular phone. A lot of that also requires the user to be extra vigilant (namely going into your phone after you're done with anything you use to manually shut it down) and I just don't see the average user willing to put that kind of effort into being able to play a worse version of Call of Duty (compared to what they'd get on the console and their TV).

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
kris40k said:
Battery life is a problem of mobile gaming. Being that they are not single purpose devices, they tend to chew through it. One of the benefits of the before mentioned MOGA controllers is the built in battery for powering the phone as you play. For audio, I recommend a good stereo BT headset, which headsets are also good for regular phone use.

I myself am a fan of mobile gaming, and while there is a ton of trash out there, there are also some great games being made. While I still occasionally eye the 3DS and Vita for some of the exclusives, I don't really envy them anymore.

Edit:
Currently using a MOGA Hero Power [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/controllers/heropower] and HBS-730 [http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-accessories/lg-HBS730].
The controller with a battery helps but that seems more like a band-aid rather than a fix (this is assuming phones take over for consoles that is; for your regular use like what you do, it works just fine).

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Doom972 said:
tippy2k2 said:

I suppose that works but I still think battery life is going to be (for the foreseeable future at least and by the time they get that figured out, I think we'll be plugging into The Matrix for our gaming needs :D) a huge hurdle. A lot of the "battery saving guides" more or less turn your smart phone into a regular phone. A lot of that also requires the user to be extra vigilant (namely going into your phone after you're done with anything you use to manually shut it down) and I just don't see the average user willing to put that kind of effort into being able to play a worse version of Call of Duty (compared to what they'd get on the console and their TV).
Actually, we might be able to recharge out batteries in two minutes by 2017 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139383-StoreDot-Smartphone-Battery-Samsung-Galaxy-S5]. By then we should also have batteries that last longer, since batteries keep getting better and better.

Saving battery power is easy and doesn't require you to be extra vigilant - especially on the Nexus 5 since it doesn't have unnecessary bloatware like most other smartphones have. Just find a guide or two on Google.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
I'll just say it as harmless as I can:

FUCK NO. F2p and mobile are the most shittiest thing I ever experienced in gaming. It's shit. Utter shite. This particular branch of gaming can crash three times over as far as I'm concerned, maybe we will then see some quality. I mean, you could have quality, but instead ...

Anyways, I actually tried/wanted to play some games on my phone. I did not find a SINGLE good one. Best ones were Temple Run and Threes ... and these are simple endless minigames. Every free to play game I tried was the most shitty attempt at cashgrabbing I have ever seen. And I didn't even look at Dungeon Keeper Mobile. Since then I left mobile gaming for good.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Prepared?...No, I'm a dinosaur who wants good looking games on a big screen with a controller with twin sticks and a multitude of buttons and triggers.

I'm not a mobile or even a handheld gamer - I spend so much time playing at home that I'd much rather read a book when I'm out and about. Even on a 6'inch mobile screen I feel like mobile gaming is too cramped.

I recently downloaded Real Racing 2 (94 on metacritic at the moment) and, while on the one hand, it's impressive what they can do on a modern phone, on the other hand its still only about equivalent with early 360 racing games like Project Gotham at best. Even braking and accelerating manually are optional, there's no way you can have manual gears, which I consider to be essential to the feel of a racing game. Then we have the whole free-to-play element which makes me nervous playing - I don't want to be constantly worried that if I mess up I'm going to have to pay money to continue, if I'm going to suddenly hit a difficulty spike or if I'm going to be forced to grind endlessly for the next grade of car. It sucks all the fun out for me.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
If this is the future I'd rather stay in the stone age of gaming tyvm.

But..I know the way the wind turns. Pretty sure by time I'm an old man youngsters will have grown up used to freenium games and an extensive dlc/in app purchase model so they won't think twice about it and it becomes the norm for games. Maybe this really is the way of the future and I'm an old fossil clinging to the vestiges of the past.

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
It is? Then, I'm getting too old for this shit!

Honestly, I still lack the mobile phone to even go down this future path of gaming and, most likely, never will unless I was forced to since the only mobile phones produced during that time frame are of the "smart" kind...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Never liked mobile games and there hasn't been a free to play game that has interested me.

This new wave of games has given me more time to seek interesting games of the past, so it doesn't bother me much.