Are you sad that you're going to eventually die?

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Recently I've had an interesting conversation in my Debate class about the 9/11 terrorist attack. Specifically about a man who willingly jumped out of the burning building and calmly landed on the ground to his demise. It really made me think, a human being is only on this Earth for almost no time in an astronomical standpoint. For me, I have that childish sense "I don't want to die, ever" how do my fellow escapees feel about their inevitable "shut-down"? [I'd rather not bring religion into this to avoid flaming.]

delet

Nov 2, 2008
I used to worry about it a lot, but I got over it. Who cares that I'm going to die; if I can work to enjoy the time I do have, then I can be happy.

Inner Pickle

Nov 8, 2010
Na, bring it on. What's the point in wasting your life worrying about death? Seems counter productive to me.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
No. Time is short as is, so why waste any of it worrying over the inevitable?

edit: I'm more sad over being ninja'd by an Inner Pickle. Damn.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Nah. Living forever would be really boring. It's nice to have a definite end, otherwise I'd never get anything done.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Only if it means nothing. I want my death to be a sacrifice that makes a difference in at least one person's life.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
That guy just made a choice between burning/suffocating to death or turning into a stain on the pavement. When death is that imminent and assured, you take the less painful option, his mind probably took it rather rationally as there was no frantic need to try and escape his daeth.

I myself realised I was going to die at a fairly young age, by now I've realised I still have more than half a century left on this planet, plenty of time to live a life worth living.

By the time I'm ready to die, I think most of my loved ones will already have passed on, immortality would be pointless without those who are special to me to share it with anyway.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
HellspawnCandy said:
New Troll said:
No. Time is short as is, so why waste any of it worrying over the inevitable?
I wouldn't say worry but more like just thinking about it for a second.
Even as I'm dying I hope to not be wasting my time thinking about over it. If I was to fall off a building, I'd rather just enjoy the fall than dwell on the landing.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Given the option I'd take the 'young, invincible and immortal' option in a heartbeat as long as it didn't hurt innocents (like being a vampire having to kill people to survive). But that's just a preference really. To me it isn't a matter of 'if' you die, but rather if your life + death meant something. I mean, I'd hate to die right here and now for no reason, not having done anything meaningful in my life, but if I died protecting/saving those people that I love or for a cause I truly believed in then I'd do it with barely a second thought, because I'd rather die doing that than live the rest of my relatively short life knowing I could have done something.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I remember reading this quote that pretty much summed up my view:

"The object of life is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved corpse. It is to skid into death sideways uncontrollably, junk-food in one hand, booze in the other, screaming "THAT WAS ONE FUCKIN' GOOD RIDE!"

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Kinda the opposite, I'm enthusiastic about it. Actually hoping I don't last much longer than 50-60. Not because "life sucks" or "baaaw nobody understands me", nothing like that, simply because that seems long enough. Oh, and I'm an atheist. Yeah.

Dec 14, 2008
Death is part of life, people need to die in order for Humanity to evolve. I don't worry about dying, I worry that I won't get anything meaningful done before then.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Skorpyo said:
I remember reading this quote that pretty much summed up my view:

"The object of life is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved corpse. It is to skid into death sideways uncontrollably, junk-food in one hand, booze in the other, screaming "THAT WAS ONE FUCKIN' GOOD RIDE!"
I've seen that quote before too, seems very Hunter S. Thompsonish.

Oct 20, 2010
Good question, akward phrasing. I do not WANT to die, I cannot- it's a biological imperative that I live. But I am not upset that I WILL die. Shit happens, then finally you die, free from shit forever. Hurray!(Yhatzee voice). That's my 2 cents.

I would like to bring up a sidebar but in keeping with Hellspawn's intent, please nothing or nobody religious - let's all stay civil. I think Peter Pan is the wisest philosopher the world has yet produced on the subject of Death: "To die will be a great adventure!"

For yourselves, after you tackle "How do I feel about my eventual Death?" Who has summarized it best for you and why?

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I try not to think of it, all I hope for is that my death comes so fast that I won't even notice that I died.