Are you sad that you're going to eventually die?

Nova Helix

Mar 17, 2010
Being sad about dieing would be like being sad about taking your next breath. It will happen, nothing wil stop it, you have to accept that.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Well no I dont want to die, I doubt anyone does. What I dont wana see is my parents dying, not sure I'm going to be able to cope if I'm honest.

No parent should have to bury their child is what they always say to me though, so I guess for their sake I'll just have to get on with it.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I asked myself this question when I had my heart attack three years ago. I was 30, in a soul-destroying go-nowhere job, married to a girl whose aversion to all forms of risk prevented me from living the life I wanted (which is why I was in the soul-destroying job in the first place, because it was "safe" and "secure"), and just generally languishing in what should have been blissful mediocrity but which was anything but.

And when I was lying there in that hospital bed, realizing that day on Earth could very well have been my last if things went differently, I took a look at my life and thought "No. Not like this. I'll be damned if it's gonna be like this."

Three years later I'm a junior in college (at 33), been divorced from the wife since December of 2009, I'm 16 months away from moving home to Boston where I grew up and where I want to settle down, and really looking like by the time I turn 40 I'll be able to say "OK, NOW I can die in peace." Not to say I want to die at 40, mind you. I could live to a hundred and feel like I spent two thirds of my life playing with house money.

But to answer your question, I'm sad now, since I don't feel like I've truly lived yet. But ask me again in five years or ten years or twenty years and I'll have a different answer for you.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
I don't intend to die. so no.

from the moderately depressed/pessimistic/realistic side of me, meh. If I die, I die. not much else to it.

Ashtovo

Jul 25, 2009
nope, to me worrying about death is like worrying about eating cake. if you whine about it and try to prolong the experiance your just running out of cake slower but you still will. mmm cake. im hungry now.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
No, not really.
I may be a little sad that I'll leave the people I care about, and they will miss me, they still have my memory with them.
And while the memory of a good game doesn't compare to actually playing that game, it is still better than nothing.

So no, death isn't a problem for me.
I'm just interested in what comes after death.

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
I'd rather spend the finite amount of time I have thinking of the infinite possibilities there are.

Liham

Apr 17, 2009
Recently my father contracted necrotizing faciitis along with toxic shock syndrome.
as the doctors put it, "you will live the rest of your life in pain, but the good thing is that it wont be that long. it has stopped my mother accepting any bullshit because she doesn't want to waste the time they have left.
before this event i was skred shitless, but since my dad technicaly did it 3 times i do not fear death.

aenimau5

Dec 19, 2010
I was so sad about the fact that i was going to die i tried killing myself.
In hindsight it may have been somewhat contradictory.

blackflare

Jul 25, 2010
Nope i realised since i first acknowledged death that i will someday die but i will live every day like its my last. I just accept that i will die sometimes and gracefully continue in whatever plain off existence i end up in.

Jan 11, 2009
I just want to make sure that 100 years after I've died there will be someone who knows my name for a good reason.

I'm probably more afraid of being old and frail than death itself.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
Meh, death does not concern me. Once I'm dead that's it. No use worrying about it. Time to go on wasting my life.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
I am not sad about it at all, I believe in an after life of sorts and that we will come back/be reborn as a new person to experience new things. Death is part of life whether you like it or not.

Tactical Fugitive

Mar 28, 2010
It's funny to read how people expect to die when they're old, not realizing the fact that they could die any second from just about anything.

What escapes me is the need for a cause to die for. I mean, what cause is there? The only thing I can think of is the wish to be remembered well (people who say that they do good just for doing good are hypocrites). But time is infinite, therefore there is no meaning in anything you do, because you shall be forgotten sooner or later and your "good cause" simply fades from an eternity point of view. Along with your life. Unless you believe in god or afterlife of course, in which case this post is not for you.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Are you kidding me? I am immortal. There's no way I'll die.

But realistically I think it'll be interesting at least. I just mean to do all I can before the clock stops ticking.

alexbaxthedarkside

May 21, 2009
SimuLord said:
I asked myself this question when I had my heart attack three years ago. I was 30, in a soul-destroying go-nowhere job, married to a girl whose aversion to all forms of risk prevented me from living the life I wanted (which is why I was in the soul-destroying job in the first place, because it was "safe" and "secure"), and just generally languishing in what should have been blissful mediocrity but which was anything but.

And when I was lying there in that hospital bed, realizing that day on Earth could very well have been my last if things went differently, I took a look at my life and thought "No. Not like this. I'll be damned if it's gonna be like this."

Three years later I'm a junior in college (at 33), been divorced from the wife since December of 2009, I'm 16 months away from moving home to Boston where I grew up and where I want to settle down, and really looking like by the time I turn 40 I'll be able to say "OK, NOW I can die in peace." Not to say I want to die at 40, mind you. I could live to a hundred and feel like I spent two thirds of my life playing with house money.

But to answer your question, I'm sad now, since I don't feel like I've truly lived yet. But ask me again in five years or ten years or twenty years and I'll have a different answer for you.
WOW O.O really incredible story. you know a lot more about the subject than most of us care to find out.I am glad you feel you have woken up and want to live your life to the fullest, and are not letting other people or circumstance slow you down. great stuff! :)

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Not at all. I'm just looking forward to asking God whether or not it annoys him that so many self-appointed dickheads all claim to speak to his name.