Are your number of unplayed games increasing? And is that a problem?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Yep :/

Steam sales and two new consoles have just made my backlog silly. I never have the motivation to play more than a handful of titles.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
That's the reason why I prefer buying games on disc. If I buy a physical copy, I'll probably play it at the first opportunity. With digital distribution, not so much. Steam sales are the bane of my existence. I haven't played half my Steam library, with over a dozen games waiting in my inventory to be added (or not).

It's not that I really mind not having played them, but it feels like a waste of money, even if I picked most of them up for a couple of Euros. Me continually replaying old games certainly doesn't help. :)

I must say I have become more selective in what I buy. I'll no longer buy anything that looks mildly interesting just because it's cheap.

Trek1701a

Aug 23, 2012
I have a decent sized backlog, but I don't really see it as a problem. There are times I look at the boxes and think that I should really make an effort to get it down a bit, but then I think, they aren't going anywhere. If I had to say of the one thing that bothers me of the backlog is trying to time it so I get the best deal on the game I can, since I know I won't be playing it for a while.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Yes and yes, can't help myself, i keep buying game after game on various sales, or totally new ones if they interest me enough.
I don't even acknowledge the fact that i don't have nearly enough time to go through them all the way i want.
By the time i've done with couple of them, dozen new games has appeared in my catalog.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Oh God, yes...

I have roughly 250 games in my Steam library, around 70 of those are unplayed. A lot of those are games I've received, unwantingly, in bundles. I will play them at some point though.

I have about 25 PS3 games I haven't even started yet, 10 or so still in the wrapper.

Not to mention a slowly growing backlog on GOG and a few 'classics' that I never got to play on PS1/PS2.

I've noticed that my attitude towards gaming has changed a fair amount because of it. I used to be a 'completionist' and would get Platinum trophies for all my PS3 games, and all Steam achievements. Nowadays I just play to beat the game, enjoy it and move on to the next. Though in reflection I think that's probably a better thing.

Though due to the high influx of 'games that I want to play - but not high on my priority' that I get with bundles, just because they're cheap, I've noticed my Steam wishlist is getting pretty big now too. Too much neglect towards the games that I actually want!

Recently signed up to Backloggery.com though and it's a godsend. Hopefully I can whittle away some of these numbers without ruining the experience of the games.

Sep 14, 2009
*looks at over 350 games I have in my pc library alone*

yeahhhh...I got quite a few to go through still :D

I don't see it as a problem though, alot of those games I would've gotten, and if the sales weren't there I would've gotten them at a higher price (same price as buying 2 steam sale games though) and only been able to enjoy one of the two games.

Having a big backlog for consumers isn't bad I don't think; although it is a bit shitty for devs/pubs because we can sit on our pile and wait until they stop being dicks about enforcing policies on the new games we might want to play.

WWWLUCIFERCOM

Jan 18, 2013
Oh most definitely because of all the holiday sales and what not Im so backed up I dread new games at the moment which is a a bad thing for a gamer

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
I used to have a massive backlog as I had a ton of games that I didn't want due to many bundles, I recently went through them all and just tried and cut out most of them. Now I only have 25 games to play, although only 10 of them haven't been started so maybe I'll get to finish the.... steam winter sale. Fuck!

Specter Von Baren said:
We just might have reached the point where games need to become more expensive in order for us to actually enjoy our purchases. It doesn't matter how good the deal is when there's only so many hours in the day.
Hello again. I'm not stalking you, I promise! Perhaps a better alternative would be shorter games that are really well done like bastion.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
No. I only buy games that I want to play. We live in a digital distribution age. At least PC gamers do. Those games aren't going anywhere. And by the time I express an interest in playing them they will probably be cheaper.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Increasing? - Yes.I reckon I have around 50+ games I haven't even touched yet and that will undoubtably only increase thanks to xmas sales

Problem? - No.Having so many games to choose from is fantastic.Back when I started gaming I was lucky if I got 5 or 6 games in a entire year so I'm not going to complain about a backlog

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Yup lots of ps2 and ps3 games that I want to play and get.

This winter break will help relieve some of the backlog.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
The curse of Steam sales. First world problems eh?

I have a huge To Play category in my Steam library and I'm adding more games to it than I'm removing -.-

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Technically, yes, but mostly because I keep buying Humble Bundles. There are many games I get because they're part of a bundle I'm not likely to ever play. And they're just sitting there, sucking up my Steam Library.

In general, I tend to have a few more games than I have played. And I like it that way. There is usually a swell around the Steam summer/winter sales and/or any major special (usually Christmas), but I'll play those off.

My Kindle library, on the other hand....

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Progressively getting smaller. I wait for months at least between game purchases. I have 30 games on steam since I started buying in 2010.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Humble Bundles increase my backlog, because often enough I don't wanna play some games of the bundle or only buy the bundle because of the sound tracks.
And yes, the backlog has been increasing for me even aside humble bundle, but those are only a few games. In the end I just play what I want to play the most currently, you got to have priorities ^^.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Eh I had to start putting my foot down on a lot of stuff I wanted since it's not really worth like a pre-order bonus to get something small extra that might get packed into a GOTY or just sold later. Like a lot of games if I haven't beat the ones I own before it I'll stop myself from picking up, like Assassin's creed I have 2 of them beat neither, Darksiders 1 I never went back to, Call of duty as small as the single player campaigns are I never finished a lot of them to just use it as a 60 dollar MP or zombie expansion.

Now even most my steam stuff will get added to a wish list for a sale or if it gets in a bundle.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
I'm a teacher with a November birthday. My wife always gets me games for my birthday and Christmas, and they often don't get played until the summer. So, yes, I have a backlog, but no, it's not that big of a problem.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
No, I only buy games I specifically want to play and though I have several games 'on the go' right now, none are unplayed entirely. I only buy more if there's nothing I haven't got bored of or completed yet :p