ArenaNet Unveils Guild Wars 2 Collector's Edition

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
ArenaNet Unveils Guild Wars 2 Collector's Edition

Between giant statues, early access, and art books, there's quite a bit of booty available for those who can't wait for Guild Wars 2.

After recently confirming a 2012 release for the highly-anticipated sequel to 2005's Guild Wars, ArenaNet has gone a step further by showing off exactly what treasures await those willing to shell out for its monstrous Collector's Edition.

For a mere(?) $149.99, buyers will get a 10-inch figurine of the flame-sword wielding Rytlock, a 112-page Making of Guild Wars 2 book, a CD soundtrack including the best of Guild Wars 2's orchestral stylings, an art portfolio, five art prints, and a custom art frame. And that's just the stuff players can put their grubby little mitts on. Collector's Edition owners will also receive a trove of digital items, including the "Summon Mistfire Wolf" elite skill, a miniature Rytlock (one can never have enough Rytlock, it seems), the Chalice of Glory, the Tome of Influence, and your very own Golem Banker, which ArenaNet describes as a "mechanical man servant" willing to serve you for five days.

One also assumes you get a copy of the game.

If you're eager to secure one of the limited number being produced, you can pre-purchase the set beginning April 10th. Doing so also gives access to yet another round of swag and perks, including the Hero's Band (which provides +2 Power, +2 Precision, +2 Toughness, +2 Vitality, +2 Condition Damage, +2 Healing, and +2% Critical Damage, but sadly no fantasy-themed musical instrument peripherals), access to all Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend events, and a three-day head start, so you can scoop up a screen name other than xXxdarkpantherassassinofthenight928337xXx and call people n00bs when they get started 72 hours later.

If you like the idea of getting the Band, the beta, and the head start, but either aren't into multiple iterations of Rytlock, mechanical man servants, or searching out $149.99 from under the couch cushions, you'll be happy to hear that the pre-purchase perks apply to the game's Standard Edition as well. As for when you'll be able to actually play the thing? According to the website, "when it's done."

Source: Guildwars2.com [https://buy.guildwars2.com/collectors-edition]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Way too expensive (and this is coming from a Guild Wars fan) for me despite how awesome it is. I would of been sold if they had included extra character slots in the edition. (Seriously I want to know how many character slots we will get per account!)
I will be sticking to the plain olde regular edition.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Way too expensive (and this is coming from a Guild Wars fan) for me despite how awesome it is. I would of been sold if they had included extra character slots in the edition. (Seriously I want to know how many character slots we will get per account!)
I will be sticking to the plain olde regular edition.
We get 5 slots per account, at least as of the press beta event. Enough for 1 of each race.

I'm definitely getting the CE. I missed out on the artbook the first time through, and I'm a big fan of the charr (not being forced to write that by the menacing gaze of my charr plushie, honest), so this really was a sell for me. And my taxes are coming, so I should get the money as the pre-order opens up.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Berenzen said:
I'm definitely getting the CE. I missed out on the artbook the first time through, and I'm a big fan of the charr (not being forced to write that by the menacing gaze of my charr plushie, honest), so this really was a sell for me. And my taxes are coming, so I should get the money as the pre-order opens up.
Same here.

My Charr plushie won't let me ignore this, and will seek revenge for my betrayal. I was wondering what the goodies would be and this pleases me, and the plushie.

The price is a bit steep but there's a lot of stuff in the CE, and I just got my tax return, so yay for that!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dammit, well there goes 150 dollars. I'm a sucker for statues and that is a good one.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Berenzen said:
Same here.

My Charr plushie won't let me ignore this, and will seek revenge for my betrayal. I was wondering what the goodies would be and this pleases me, and the plushie.

The price is a bit steep but there's a lot of stuff in the CE, and I just got my tax return, so yay for that!
Think of the value in that box!

Say value of $10 for the soundtrack, 60 for the game, 20 for the artbook, 10 a piece for the prints, 5 for the frame, and probably close to 30 for the statue. Not to mention the cost for the metal box... even without the digital stuff, that's probably close to a good 180 dollar value.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Berenzen said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Berenzen said:
Same here.

Think of the value in that box!

Say value of $10 for the soundtrack, 60 for the game, 20 for the artbook, 10 a piece for the prints, 5 for the frame, and probably close to 30 for the statue. Not to mention the cost for the metal box... even without the digital stuff, that's probably close to a good 180 dollar value.
Oh it's a definite buy for me, and I was just commenting on the price.

I agree with you though, there's a lot of stuff for what the price actually is, so it's not terribly bad.

targren

May 13, 2009
I decided I was getting the CE a long time ago, so I'm glad they've announced it.

I'm somewhat dubious about the "Hero's Band" though... It stinks of validating my concerns about "selling power" before the game even hits the shelves...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Awww, so we're getting M.O.X. just for 5 days?, that's a shame, he was (is) incredibly useful in the first Guild Wars when you needed someone to punch some faces while playing alone or just needed an extra hand in your group.

Also... PLEASE ANET, the "when it's done" date is killing me >.<'

Electric Gel

Mar 26, 2009
Well I was all geared up for this, but according to this handy dandy currency converter grafted haphazardly into my chest, the UK price of a £139.99 comes to an eye watering $203 American Dollars. I feel pretty disappointed right now.

I hope there's an equivalent boxed edition to the digital deluxe edition, as then at least I'd get the extra digital goodies. If not, then it's the old bog standard copy for me. Damn my insanely insignificant problems!

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
targren said:
I decided I was getting the CE a long time ago, so I'm glad they've announced it.

I'm somewhat dubious about the "Hero's Band" though... It stinks of validating my concerns about "selling power" before the game even hits the shelves...
It's just a ring that can be used by pre-purchasers on release, it'll probably get replaced pretty quick. Think of it like the GotY weapons given in GW, which were max weapons that had sub-par stats. Most people on the Guru are up in arms about the digital consumables which are slight increases of guild influence and glory(pvp currency used to buy cosmetic gear). They're all saying they'd have preferred an extra character slot.

targren

May 13, 2009
Berenzen said:
targren said:

It's just a ring that can be used by pre-purchasers on release, it'll probably get replaced pretty quick. Think of it like the GotY weapons given in GW, which were max weapons that had sub-par stats. Most people on the Guru are up in arms about the digital consumables which are slight increases of guild influence and glory(pvp currency used to buy cosmetic gear). They're all saying they'd have preferred an extra character slot.
It's the consumables that have me worried, too, even more so than the ring. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some way to replace them, lest they fall into "To Awesome to use" space and live in your storage forever.

If they're found in-game, well, that's great (though it does, admittedly, make them rather craptastic as CE Swag). I'm afraid we'll end up seeing them on the GW Store like, AoC did.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
targren said:
I don't really mind them too much, they don't seem to fall into the 'too awesome to use' catagory, rather they seem just to be items to help people start up a guild/character and get a little bit more so they can get a guild bank, or their first set of pvp gear, I can't see them really unbalancing the game. Honestly, I think it would be best if they were just rate boosters, like how Tribes does it. I would rather a character slot obviously, butI don't mind these pre-order bonuses. I do think the DD buyers are getting shafted a little though, 20 bucks more for a cool looking skill and a mini alongside some consumables? Doesn't seem like it's wholly worth it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Holy crap, I really didn't have any plans to get this, but that's an awful lot of swag for a collector's edition. No equivalently priced one of any past games I know of even come close.

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
I still think this is over priced... any collecters of the GW1 saga wasn't that costly and i seem to recall some pretty awesome swag... that must be one expensive charr statue...

I think i'll be getting the deluxe version... all the digital goodies without the expensive physical. Now to hope its at least a reasonable price.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Chubbs99 said:
I still think this is over priced... any collecters of the GW1 saga wasn't that costly and i seem to recall some pretty awesome swag... that must be one expensive charr statue...

I think i'll be getting the deluxe version... all the digital goodies without the expensive physical. Now to hope its at least a reasonable price.
actually they have updated the pre order page with all the prices now, just the game is 60$, digital deluxe is 80$

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
remmus said:
Chubbs99 said:

actually they have updated the pre order page with all the prices now, just the game is 60$, digital deluxe is 80$
Those prices I like much better. That's actually right about what I was assuming them to be.