Aren't you guys going a little overboard with the Quinnspiracy?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I recently came across this...

https://www.change.org/p/nick-denton-suspended-recognize-nathan-grayson-s-lack-of-journalistic-integrity

... which is a petition asking for the recognition of Nathan Grayson's lack of journalistic integrity for having slept with Zoe Quinn.

Now, I quite enjoyed Grayson's writing when he wrote for Rock Paper Shotgun (as did many others, as evident from the comments section when he was leaving [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/23/love-you-all/]), and I went looking for articles of his involving Quinn. All I could find were one post on RPS, which consisted of him listing Depression Quest along with 49 other games being Greenlit (is that a verb now?) on Steam, and <url=http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-indie-game-reality-tv-show-that-went-to-hell-1555599284/all>another post on Kotaku about the clusterfuck that was the Mountain Dew game jam. Neither articles had any particular sway towards Quinn, and both were written before he was romantically involved with Zoe. He hadn't written a single article about her since then, and yet people are trying to raze his career to the ground.

Along with that, he was the only journalist involved in the scandal (the rest were all developers). If this was the extent of the evidence of 'sex-for-reviews' and nepotism in games journalism, sorry, I'm not convinced.

This is no <url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-lost-humanity-18-a-table-of-doritos>Doritosgate.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
At least the petition has been suspended until more evidence shows up.

Christ, at least one person seems to have their head screwed on (even if they did make the petition in the first place).

Unless someone's making him suspend it...

ehrmergehrd censorshipz

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
How can we be going overboard? It's been contained to just the Off topic board.

For real though, a lot of people have issues with the current "SJW Slant" that a lot of websites have.

Reporting "News" without sources and failing to portray an even-sided story.

So, allow them to talk about you. You're forced to engage in debate, if you're not interested, don't be interested.

That's really all there is to it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I tried to inform myself on what the hell is going on, but everything is mostly "chaos--sy" gossip. I can't give my opinion without a proper context of the situation. Can someone explain things in bulletpoints?

Note* If you see a few posts answering this one, you don't need to answer the question.

small

Aug 5, 2014
well he never reviewed anything shes done and the other article was neutral to say the least and was wrote before they got involved.. its a non issue to say the least

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
You almost can't blame the collective internet for losing their shit over this. It has all hallmarks of a perfect shitstorm.

A woman, who makes games and is an outspoken feminist, who cheated a bunch (damn sluts, amirite?) and got involved with games journalism. On top of all that there has been reports of threads and comments being deleted which breaches free speech.

It's almost like somebody crafted this scenario to get as much nerdrage as possible.

100% overblown.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
I tried to inform myself on what the hell is going on, but everything is mostly "chaos--sy" gossip. I can't give my opinion without a proper context of the situation. Can someone explain things in bulletpoints?

Note* If you see a few posts answering this one, you don't need to answer the question.
- Man makes blog post about a woman cheating on him with 5 guys (not at once, as far as I'm aware) all of whom are related to the games industry in some way

- One is a journalist, Nathan Grayson. His coverage of her game extends to 3 words "Powerful Twine darling" in a list of 50 Greenlight games. And an article which mentions her as part of that game jam that went down the shitter.

-

Beyond that, I'm not even sure any more. Some are shouting about journalistic integrity (in which case you'd figure the focus would be on Nathan Grayson not Zoe Quinn), some about censorship, some about "slut-shaming". But for a variety of reasons, this is the place to discuss it, since rightfully or wrongfully, nowhere else does.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
zen5887 said:
It's almost like somebody crafted this scenario to get as much nerdrage as possible.
Funny how many people aren't looking at that as being the potential "conspiracy" at hand here, because if it was then it totally worked. And had the added effect of getting that "somebody" completely clear of any of the fallout.

So, kudos to them.

Andy Shandy said:
Beyond that, I'm not even sure any more. Some are shouting about journalistic integrity (in which case you'd figure the focus would be on Nathan Grayson not Zoe Quinn), some about censorship, some about "slut-shaming". But for a variety of reasons, this is the place to discuss it, since rightfully or wrongfully, nowhere else does.
Yeah, the focus of the whole nontroversy has shifted about five or six times. The fact that the people bitching about "journalistic integrity" refuse to accept that Grayson's articles don't show a conflict of interest (because Game Jam wasn't about Quinn and didn't promote her in any way) is something of a sticking point here, since it's the entire basis for their claim of "corruption in games journalism" in the first place.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Integrity is an afterthought in game journalism anyway, so I don't get why everyone is making such a fuss over it. A lot (not all) of game journalists are just underpaid PR writers. If people are really worried about journalistic integrity they should tackle the bigger, more broad issues (like 'native marketing'). Frying one small fish isn't going to accomplish shit.

But I forgot, feminism is involved in this somehow.

Grow the fuck up internet. I am tired of your shit.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I've refused to comment on a single topic related to this oh-SO-scandal(!), but this looks like the perfect thread for me to write what will be my one and ONLY post about it.

My thoughts:

1. I like threads with "board" in the title.

2. Zoë Quinn has done a better job of censoring the entire internet than North Korea or China. She'll land on her feet, professionally speaking.

3. This is all I learned from reading about 10 pages of the large thread festering at the top of the OT forum:

4. Why hasn't anybody recognized that we Zoë-girls have superpowers?

-----------------------

Thank you, and goodnight! Don't forget to tip over your waitress.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
- One is a journalist, Nathan Grayson. His coverage of her game extends to 3 words "Powerful Twine darling" in a list of 50 Greenlight games. And an article which mentions her as part of that game jam that went down the shitter.
Let's imagine that the Washington post is a close-knit community where everyone knows each other and have an atmosphere of great trust; they collaborate a lot and work together, and respect each other's professional opinions and are friends outside of work. They cover the party conventions, every notable policy briefing that comes up, and every press conference. Ultimately the Washington post will share a collective editorial stance through being so close-knit and having undergone so many joint experiences.

Then, a journalist for the Washington post sleeps with a politician with a high public profile. Let's say they bang Marco Rubio. This journalist doesn't write many articles on Florida or on what happens much on Capitol Hill; they cover the mid-western states or something such as that. However, having slept (and likely had a relationship) with Mr. Rubio, they would come away with a personal attachment to the man. When in discussions with other colleagues, they proceed to be inclined towards giving an account of Marco Rubio based off of post-hoc justifications for their emotions regarding him. In this close environment with high trust between staff members, these perceptions of Rubio become an established idea. A new narrative in which to frame Rubio forms; his image of a subject is going to be influenced by the way that this very close-knit community considers Rubio. Editorials and articles regarding Rubio pull less punches, with the team having been exposed to many sympathetic accounts and justifications for Rubio's behaviour. Subsequently, they become less critical of Rubio; it becomes a consensus in the community that Rubio can be considered to be more alright than they'd previously thought of him.

Hence, the public is exposed to less critical content regarding Rubio. They get content from the Washington post which is less critical of him, and hence they are inclined to be less critical. Some may even vote for him due to the less negative publicity he's garnered from the entire series of events.

Rightfully in this circumstance, we'd call this a horrendous violation of journalistic integrity. Although the journo who actually boned the subject didn't cover it, they contributed to a friendly environment in their community which helped to mislead the public.

The game journalism industry is as close as this hypothetical Washington post. The positive opinion of Quinn in the press has lead to a whitewashing of various allegations by her of misbehaviour outside of her infidelities (accusation of rape at a wedding, the seemingly false nature of the Wizardchan "raid" on her, and most importantly the derailing of The Fine Young Capitalists due to her public pressure which the press did not contest because "whatever Zoe says must be true.")

I hope that illustrates why the articles themselves are irrelevant. If you cover an industry, don't sleep with a potential subject (at least without full disclosure to colleagues and even to the public).

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Random Argument Man said:

- Man makes blog post about a woman cheating on him with 5 guys (not at once, as far as I'm aware) all of whom are related to the games industry in some way

-

I saw this linked to in another post and I wanted to congratulate you on absolutely nailing this issue. I have unsuccessfully tried to encapsulate this issue and I don't need to try any longer because you have tied it all up with a Joker gif bow.

Good work!