ARES Essential Gaming Keyboard, OUREA Optical Mouse Review

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
ARES Essential Gaming Keyboard, OUREA Optical Mouse Review

Perfect for someone getting into gaming.

Read Full Article

PetitDemon

Jan 4, 2015
Not a very attractive looking keyboard, but I suppose functionality is more important.
The keyboard at least. The mouse is actually kind of attractive looking.

How would you or could you compare this to similar products from Corsair and Razer?

By the way, I've always wondered where this trend of black electronics has come from.
Almost everything, especially "hardcore pc gaming" gear, all seems to look like something out of the Matrix, now.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
PetitDemon said:
Not a very attractive looking keyboard, but I suppose functionality is more important.
The keyboard at least. The mouse is actually kind of attractive looking.

How would you or could you compare this to similar products from Corsair and Razer?

By the way, I've always wondered where this trend of black electronics has come from.
Almost everything, especially "hardcore pc gaming" gear, all seems to look like something out of the Matrix, now.
I don't think Corsair has any membrane gaming keyboards. At least their site shows all mechanicals. Razer has some for around the same price range as the Gamdias set, but those don't come with a mouse, so Gamdias might be the better deal.

Quality wise... well, I'm not really the intended audience for this sort of review, having made the switch(heh) to mechanicals a while back, and having just spent $150 on a WASD CODE keyboard. That said, I would be very skeptical of any claim that one membrane keyboard is any better than another in terms of feel an performance. So I would instead look at your needs in terms of features(e.g. macroing software, media keys, backlighting, etc.) and determine the value of a keyboard that way.

Well actually I'd recommend you switch to mechanical keyboards. They're pretty much better in every way except price, and sometimes you can find a more basic model in the same price range as the one in the article(though again, whether a basic model with superior build and feel is better than a low grade keyboard with extra features is not a call I can make for you). I was fortunate enough to get my first one for free, and got hopeless hooked.

But if you are determined to get a membrane keyboard? No need to get a Razer membrane over one of these, because that would be like buying low end Bose.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Rhykker said:
Six easy-access thumb keys can be found
...exactly where you will constantly press them accidentally. There's a reason many keyboards have hand/wrist rests in that position, not extra keys.

PetitDemon said:
It's nothing to do with "hardcore PC gaming", most office kit is black as well these days.