Arizona Police Investigate Super Mario-Styled Box

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
Akexi said:
StewShearer said:
"They made me leave the street. It's just crazy, a college town like this I wouldn't think that something like that would happen," said Andries Efthymious,
Sadly, Andries is forgetting that this college town is that of ASU, a party school where the students are more interested in screwing around than actually you know, studying.
I was going to say something similar.

That apparently that person never went to college or something, because no matter how grounded or upstanding an image colleges might have, they always have a group of people that pull pranks and mess around, get drunk, do shit, and whatnot.

Heck at my first college, the drinking fountain outside my dorm room door just up and disappeared, and it wasn't the maintenance crew that did it.
Actually I have attended college including one year at ASU. That institution epitomizes the party environment to the point of it affecting my studies and causing me to transfer (noise complaints are often neglected by the police).

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Some-what poorly timed, if it had been a month or two before or after the boston iccident, then this would likely have been treated as the joke it was.

I can appreciate the humour, the timing was just against them on this one,

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
Does anyone know if there was actually anything written on those papers? Because leaving blank papers in a Mario-themed box doesn't make any sense at all, and is probably more suspicious than just leaving it empty. I mean, really, if you're going to do a Mario prank, why put all the effort into building the box and then not even keep the theme?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Not really surprised that it happened in Tempe since they've been known to do stupid shit like this at the most inconvenient of times. At least they waited until after the Pat Tillman Run to pull this, but poor timing anyways.

The power of ASU "brilliance" strikes again!

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
Some crazy just happened in case some of you weren't aware, Ricin attacks, bombing at the Boston Marathon, which lead to the Watertown, Mass, shootout. It is very possible to believe that people outside the gaming community might be worried by a box left in the middle of the road. Who leaves a box in the middle of the fucking road? A box of which doesn't look much like a question block from Mario to me, not the last time I saw one anyway, colors were different, seems as odd as a purple Police Box to me.

This is a problem with the gaming community, some of you do not understand that there are people who do not know what you know. If someone doesn't get the joke, you think they're stupid, when simply they don't know subject matter. Which to you is somehow offensive. HOW COULD YOU NEVER HAD PLAYED GTA? HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW PORTAL IS?!?!?11? Because not everyone obsesses over the same things. Add to it, people are stupid and get details wrong so then the thing doesn't even make sense.

I'm just going to believe someone had the box on the back of their bike or something and it without notice it just fell out.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Well, since no one else is asking, I will...

StewShearer said:
"Nothing of concern was in the cardboard box," said Molly Enright, a spokesperson for the Tempe police. Reportedly, the box contained only papers.
What sort of papers? Was anything written on them?

I think the answer to that question would shed a LOT of light on this incident.

And no, I don't expect that you, StewShearer, know the answer to that question. But I'd really like to ask Molly Enright that question.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
If this was the neighborhood where I grew up in Phoenix, I can guarantee you the cops would've never been called, because it would've been stolen by meth addicts.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
One thing about jokes is there's a build-up and a punch line. Part of the build-up and the punchline is the timing of it all. With the Boston incident that just happened.......yeah....People will make the error.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
I bet you somebody was trying to make a youtube video.

They probably put it there to see if anyone would try to open it or interact with it in a way that mario would.

and then the police showed up and they ran away.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Bit too soon to be playing jokes like this I'd think. Oh and news flash, bombs don't look like fucking ACME cartoon mobs with a giant fuse coming out the top. You can easily hide a bomb in a cardboard box and boom, you're dead.

This doesn't mean we need to live in fear over every little thing but I can understand why people would be suspicious with the recent events that have gone on in Boston.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Very immature, considering the recent events in Boston. Don't get me wrong, if it was a few weeks ago I'd find it hilarious. But bearing in mind how distressed people are, it just gives gamers a bad name.

Captcha: I'm Batman.XD

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
So one totally conspicuous cardboard box lying in the middle of the street is all it takes for a neighbourhood to be evacuated?
I mean I know there was a recent bombing attack but COME ON!

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
It's kind of sad that all you have to do to waste the time of a block full of people and some tax dollars worth of official bomb fodder experts is paste a question mark on a box and leave it in a street. Does this mean the terrorists have won?

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
"Some messed up person that was trying to scare everyone"? Or a gamer trying to make a joke? Yeah what kind of sick freak would put paper in a box.

Jun 23, 2008
Yeah, this is more about the fear of anything strange than video games references. I would say if this paralyzed a community, than the terrorists win (just like in Counter Strike).

Squilookle had it right. What is our history of bomb attacks disguised as cultural novelty items?

None. Nothing. Nada.

We use car bombs. Our mail bombs look like mail. We don't even pack bombs into stuffed animals.

And... no kid has ever died from Hallowe'en candy given by a stranger. (Given by their own parents, on the other hand...)

238U

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
This wasn't very big news here (ASU student). Also it's around Finals time, so more than likely it wasn't even college students, although it very well could be. More than likely some kids were playing MarioKart 64 and thought to themselves "Let's do it in real life", slapped some question marks on a box, and had went to hit it with their car only to have the police arrive before they finished going through with it.

While this should obviously seem like a prank, all of the recent events in Massachusetts would put me a bit more on edge too. That's clearly somewhere on the edge of Tempe as well. None of the houses around the immediate vicinity of ASU are that nice.

Also as an ASU Engineering student, I take offense to those that say that NONE of us go to school to learn. :p

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Guess the terrorists achieved exactly their desired effect. People are now terrified of cardboard boxes on the streets.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
erttheking said:
The timing on this was really just shit, no matter how you splice it.
I agree the timing was terrible, but can we not also agree that, regardless of timing, this is pretty damn funny? it's in bad taste I know, but I had to laugh, the only thing that would've made this funnier is if it were also a jack-in-the-box, preferably with a mushroom

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
To be fair, this isnt some great attack against gamers. Honestly, considering what just happened int he US in the past week or so, this is probably the worst time to just place one of these down for a joke. Im not saying the world has to stop and revolve around the US when an attack happens or we shouldnt be so paranoid, but really, lets just give this a two weeks notice time before doing this.

though even without that happening, I dont find it particularly amusing. then again I've been in enough near accidents because of inattentive drivers, hazards on the road, and just general pranks (no kid who shot my windshield with a paintball or person who threw a bucket of water as I was driving, I didnt find it the least bit funny and I desperately hope you get yours, fucking shits -_-) to have all the sense of humour drained out of me when it relates to driving. So maybe I'm just cynical.

besides... aside from the question marks it doesnt even look like a mario box. it wouldnt be my first thought of i saw this on the road that its mario related.