Arkane is Investigating Complaints About Dishonored 2 PC Performance

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Arkane is Investigating Complaints About Dishonored 2 PC Performance

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1361/1361088.jpgDishonored 2 has run into some performance issues on PC, but Arkane is looking into fixing them.

If you pre-ordered Dishonored 2, you're probably already playing it, thanks to the one-day early access that was included. But if you're playing it on PC, you may have noticed some performance issues, especially if you don't have a top-of-the-line machine.

Right now, Dishonored 2 has 959 Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/403640/] reviews, and only 63 percent of them are positive. Perusing the negative reviews reveals that a majority of them cite poor performance as the major, and in many cases only, issue with the game. Complaints include frame-rate drops, crashes, texture issues, and more. The issues even seem to be affecting gamers with pretty powerful PCs, at least according to the specs claimed in the reviews.

Luckily, it appears that Arkane is already aware of the issues and is investigating a fix. Co-Creative Director Harvey Smith acknowledged the reports in a tweet, and said that the studio was "investigating."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/796694378265931776]

Hopefully, Arkane can resolve the issue soon. If you're playing Dishonored 2, let us know if you're seeing any issues by posting in the forums.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
What's that you say? A Triple-A multi-platform game's PC port hhas questionable performance issues on release? Who could have forseen that?

You;'d think PC gamers would have enough brains to know better. Things have not been the same for the master race, not seens we let the coinsolians intermix. Maybe a wall wwould help.

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
My 770 isn't running it all that great, but that's to be expected. I'm getting roughly 45FPS using the AUTO settings

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I mused in the thread about Dish-ono-red 2 going gold that with how little time there was between its completion and release that it may have been subject to rushed development, including lackluster testing. Not saying it was a hard call to make - this is the same company that approves all of Bethesda Game Studio's works, as buggy and poorly performing as they launch.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I wouldn't know, as the boxed copy I purchased in order to avoid a long download only has approximately half the content on the disc, so I'm currently waiting on a 30gb download that will take approximately 15 hours. Sigh.

I read a couple of reviews in progress earlier, and performance actually seemed pretty decent, so I'm hoping that my rig will run it well - I generally have very few performance or bug problems when it comes to new releases, even when others are having major issues.

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
distortedreality said:
I wouldn't know, as the boxed copy I purchased in order to avoid a long download only has approximately half the content on the disc, so I'm currently waiting on a 30gb download that will take approximately 15 hours. Sigh.

I read a couple of reviews in progress earlier, and performance actually seemed pretty decent, so I'm hoping that my rig will run it well - I generally have very few performance or bug problems when it comes to new releases, even when others are having major issues.
30gb WITH a boxed copy?! I hope that's an exaggeration. Sounds like it's gonna be another month or two before I'm willing to get it.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
MonsterCrit said:
What's that you say? A Triple-A multi-platform game's PC port hhas questionable performance issues on release? Who could have forseen that?

You;'d think PC gamers would have enough brains to know better. Things have not been the same for the master race, not seens we let the coinsolians intermix. Maybe a wall wwould help.
As far as I know it's not a port at all..... which I guess makes it even worse that it doesn't work but fortunately, in the case of the PC MasterRace, there's plenty of solutions that have been posted by the community which should see most people through till the issues are fixed.

Smilomaniac said:
From what I've read, the .exe runs with low priority and is as simple as to set it to normal, either through the file's options/settings or right clicking the file in task manager while running.
Whether it's a fix-all or not, no clue, I don't have the game.
While it is certainly an bug, changing the priority doesn't really affect the performance and every time you hit a loading screen it lowers the priority. I've got Process Lasso running to keep it at normal but whether it helps or not varies from person to person. The real difference for me was changing maximum pre-renedered frames to '1'.

Blacklight28 said:
30gb WITH a boxed copy?! I hope that's an exaggeration. Sounds like it's gonna be another month or two before I'm willing to get it.
distortedreality said:
I know how you feel mate, 4.5 GB on disc and then another 24 hours to download the rest of the files. Of all the practices adopted by Bethesda of late I find this to be the most disgusting (same with Doom and Fallout 4) to include one single layer disc and tell everyone to bugger of and download the rest of the files cause of "muh piracy".

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
From memory, Fallout actually had a couple of discs, so I only had to download the day one patch, but I could be wrong on that score, will have a look when I get home.

If I had have known about the D2 download, I would have just grabbed it on Steam, only grabbed the boxed copy to try and avoid a big download, cost me $10 more. I did the same thing with Mankind Divided, but that came with two discs and a minimal day one download.

I'm currently heading home from work now, and am hoping that the download has finished by the time I get home, but I doubt it will be. I don't mind the day one patch, I'd rather they do that than not, but if there's a significant download just for the base game, it really should be advertised as such.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
MonsterCrit said:

It's surprising with this game in particular because Dishonored 1 ran so well. Arkane seemed to be in-the-know in regards to PC development. This is the first game made using the Void Engine (a modified Id-Tech) so some growing pains aren't entirely unexpected. Even so, it's worse than many anticipated.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
distortedreality said:
From memory, Fallout actually had a couple of discs, so I only had to download the day one patch, but I could be wrong on that score, will have a look when I get home.

If I had have known about the D2 download, I would have just grabbed it on Steam, only grabbed the boxed copy to try and avoid a big download, cost me $10 more. I did the same thing with Mankind Divided, but that came with two discs and a minimal day one download.

I'm currently heading home from work now, and am hoping that the download has finished by the time I get home, but I doubt it will be. I don't mind the day one patch, I'd rather they do that than not, but if there's a significant download just for the base game, it really should be advertised as such.
Nah Fo4 had only one disc which really was the beginning of Bethesda's stupid streak with their "semi-retail" attitude.

Also you'll be happy to know that the PC version didn't get the 9GB day one patch, but consoles will need the extra download. That being said, the sooner we get a fix for these launch bugs the better.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
We are "investigating" why we did not spend any money on QA for the PC.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Oh wow. Apparently it's not just performance problems: The mouse sensitivity is dependant on the framerate. Just, holy shit that's bad. And it's got speed clamping too, did they just set up the mouse input to emulate a joystick?!