Arkane Unveils First Dishonored Preview

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Arkane Unveils First Dishonored Preview

The first Dishonored preview video takes a look at how players can sneak or smash their way through the gorgeous, supernatural steampunk city of Dunwall.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111496-New-Bethesda-Title-Features-Deus-Ex-Talent]. As an elite bodyguard of the Empress accused of her murder, players can employ stealth, muscle, and supernatural skills in a quest to clear their name and set the world right.

The game is mission-based, but the "moment-to-moment nature of the game is very sandbox-like," according to Arkane's Raphael Colantonio. Players will return to a "home base" between missions where they can re-arm and upgrade their equipment, but the game world is designed to let players approach situations in a number of different ways, murdering everyone or moving entirely unseen, picking up clues by peeking through keyholes and listening in on conversations.

The concept of "Chaos" is also extremely interesting. "We're tracking how many people you've killed, and when you've done a little thing that is considered very destabilizing versus 'lower chaos', basically," explained co-Creative Director Harvey Smith. "We branch here and there with the fiction and we branch the endgames, and there are places where there would've been a pocket of survivors in the middle of this plague, but instead there are pockets of Weepers."

The trailer explains several of the other ideas underlying Dishonored and of course shows off plenty of screenshots and video, all of which looks fantastic. A narrative-driven, pseudo-sandbox game set in a steampunk world touched by magic? Yes, you could say I'm interested. Dishonored [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2D2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331656809&sr=8-1] is slated to come out later this year for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Very interested to see how this turns out. Steam punk is a setting we don't see often enough unlike "modern" day.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
The city looks great. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Smells a bit like Hitman meets Deus Ex in steampunkland. Awesome

This has instantly become my most anticipated game this year (after Diablo3 ofc)

captha: okey-dokey.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Yesss. Great to finally see some gameplay for this. Very excited.

Bioshock: Infinite can totally wait. This is my first person steampunk game for the year.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Well, kudos for the setting and art-direction...though we'll have to wait and see if this delivers...needless to say.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Arkane is a really solid developer, and Harvey Smith is a really ambitious creative director. If they can reign in some of his flaws (which I think they can) then this is going to be GOTY material. It looks great so far.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
After only hearing things (and never seeing anything), its good to finally have a visual idea of what to expect. Im intriged now.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Hell yeah, steampunk!
Looking good so far, I'm really curious how this game is going to turn out.