Arkansas Passes Law Allowing Doctors To Refuse Service Due To Moral/Religious Objections

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You seem to be side stepping what this law actually is suppposed to be accomplishing as far as real situations. Or you are suggesting that people could go up and request lobotomies before this law and a doc would be obligated but pretty sure its the former.
As I've said a few times now, I don't know if this law actually accomplishes anything, I don't know of doctors being forced to perform procedures against their conscience, and it could be a big virtue signaling waste of time.
Side note: the books the nazis burned was research on trans people. Suffice to say, they aren't a new phenomenon
None of the things they attempted to treat with lobotomies were new phenomena either, it's the procedure that was the new issue.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The lowest hanging fruit is the old-timey procedures that in retrospect were never justified in the first place. Like lobotomies. If 80 years ago a surgeon was removed from their position because a patient wanted a lobotomy and they wouldn't do it, history would look back kindly on them.
This is a slightly bizarre argument. Lobotomies were enforced on patients, mostly those who had been deemed incapable of making choices for themselves. A patient with the capacity to voluntarily ask for one was almost inherently not suitable for it. Just as an idea how rare and extreme it was, about 1% of the population are on antipsychotic drugs at any one time - so, say, ~3 million Americans - but the total number of lobotomies perfomed in the USA were in the low tens of thousands across over several decades. They were overwhelmingly on the most troubled (or, of course, troublesome for "carers").

In a sort of sense lobotomy still exists today, although it's called "psychosurgery", and is a vastly more refined, careful and reliable procedure. And, thankfully, exceptionally rare.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
As I've said a few times now, I don't know if this law actually accomplishes anything, I don't know of doctors being forced to perform procedures against their conscience, and it could be a big virtue signaling waste of time.
The law is meant to allow doctors with asshole views to act like assholes without having to bother with their obligation to provide care.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Update on a related bill

The same governor vetoed a bill on banning surgery or medicinal treatments for transpeople... so semi win
"Guys, this is saying the quiet part out loud, stfu before the feds get involved"

This is the equivalent of submitting a much more crass version of a movie to the ratings people then "compromising" to the version you actually wanted from the get go

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I dunno what moral reasoning can be conjured up for not providing medical care to someone, that's kinda like an oxymoron. I can see it with something like plastic surgery or other elective stuff but if someone's sick you gotta help em if you are a doctor.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I dunno what moral reasoning can be conjured up for not providing medical care to someone, that's kinda like an oxymoron. I can see it with something like plastic surgery or other elective stuff but if someone's sick you gotta help em if you are a doctor.
The long story short is that they want anti-trans medical professionals to be able to put their bigotry ahead of their professional obligations and responsibilities. The goal is to keep trans people in the closet.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The other bill thar has passed disagrees with you. Any doctor doesn't have to help a transperson at all if they dont like it

Reactions: BrawlMan