Arkham City Action Figure Reveals the Face of the Batman

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Arkham City Action Figure Reveals the Face of the Batman

DC makes a bizarre choice for its first Arkham City Batman figure.

A new line of Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0F5M8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1CD1C1CBR5287ZWXSQBP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] action figures has done something a little unexpected and revealed Batman's face. The line, which also features Robin and Harley Quinn, shows Batman in full costume with his mask pulled back, so everyone can see that he is, in fact, Bruce Wayne.

I must admit that I don't know a whole lot about selling action figures, but I would have thought that the first figure you'd want of Batman would be him with his mask on, with the variants - such as with the cowl pulled back - saved for future series. It's like releasing a figure of Superman in his black and white Kryptonian get up before releasing one of him in his traditional red, blue, and gold costume.

It also seems a little weird that there isn't a figure of Catwoman in there, seeing as she is every bit the playable character that Robin is. It's the first series, so more figures will probably follow, but she seems like a strange omission.

Some are speculating that this action figure may actually be a spoiler for Arkham City itself, and the game will feature a scene where the Dark Knight pulls back his mask. Personally, I think that if we do get to see Bruce Wayne's face, it will be during some cinematic while he's sitting in the Batcave figuring out what to do about Arkham City. Then again, Talia al Ghul is in the game, as she already knows who Batman is, so maybe he does take his mask off at some point.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 18th, and for PC in November. The figures will be available on December 21st.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5842343/see-arkham-citys-batman-without-his-mask-on]

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Ser Imp said:
It figures they'd let Batman's sexiest villain get upstaged by that painted bimbo Harley.
Talia, Catwoman, or Poison Ivy?

Not a fan of that Batman figure. It seems somewhat lacking in the jaw area, when it should be rivalling the Crimson Chin himself.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
J03bot said:

Not a fan of that Batman figure. It seems somewhat lacking in the jaw area, when it should be rivalling the Crimson Chin himself.
Pffft, no one can defeat the Crimson Chin at his own game.

OT: His face does look...off, I don't know, it doesn't really look that good to me.

Also why is this such a big deal? It's not like we've never seen his face before.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This is almost as bad as when they released this action figure before releasing the movie it was based off of. I say 'almost as bad' because as has been mentioned above, we don't know if there's a reason in the plot for Batman to take off his mask. Isn't Hugo Strange in this game too? I thought he knew Batman's identity as well as Talia.

Bruce Wayne as this toy reminds me of one of the Bruce Wayne models from the Gothem Knights DVD, specifically the one where Batman fights Dead Eye or, Bullseye or, whoever that gun-toting bastard was.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Ser Imp said:
It figures they'd let Batman's sexiest villain get upstaged by that painted bimbo Harley.
LOL that made me laugh xD

OT: October 18th is going to be a very good day for me =D

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Batman is in fact Bruce Wayne!

My life is over and my mind is blown. I need to go lie down!

Lesd3vil

Oct 11, 2010
His neck's too long and his head's too small for his body, that's probably what's bothering you >>

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 18th, and for PC in November. The figures will be available on December 21st.
Don't normaly do this, but this might need a bit of revision.

As for the subject, I can't say I'm overly fussed by the decision, since it's the first line guess they just wanted to open with a different angle, anyone who's made Batman toys in the last few years have always opened with the standard 'here, it's batman' look.
I'm sure we'll see the caped and cowled crusader in time.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Lesd3vil said:
His neck's too long and his head's too small for his body, that's probably what's bothering you >>
I'm thinking his head would look more appropriate in scale if they simply did away with the giraffe neck.

But yes, all is not well in the proportioning of this figure.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
J03bot said:
Ser Imp said:

Exactly what I was thinking, in both lines. Though I to the first line I would have added Harley, don't look at me like that we both know what you would let happen if left in a room alone.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
They really need a delete post option...... only clicked the button once.... and opened a new page 'cause it took 100seconds to load.....

Matrixbeast

Sep 18, 2010
That cape looks very restricting to the shoulders.
Doesn't look like you'll get very many dynamic poses out of him.

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Doctor Strange already knows that Bruce is Bats, and there's gonna be a confrontation between the two, so it's definitely quite possible that there's a reveal

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
I've always liked those shots you see sometimes of Bruce at the computer with the cowl pulled back drinking tea or whatever.

They're as iconic to me as any full on scary "I am the night!" Batman pose.

As somebody once said, that is the real man.

The full Bruce Wayne billionaire philanthropist (he hasn't been a 'playboy' in the comics for a long time tbh) is a disguise... the full Batman is a disguise, a role he plays.

But those moments in the cave, solving clues, talking to Alfred, drinking tea, that's who he really is.